Taking BACS payment from a customer anyone ?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Taking BACS payment from a customer anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

I haven't got a card reader yet, although I see Santander ( my bank ) are now offering iZettle or Elavon readers to customers, I normally take cheque or cash.
For the first time this week, a customer suggested paying by BACS in a couple of weeks when she picks her frames up. I like the idea of using BACS but was wondering how you manage the payment when a customer wants to collect and pay by BACS ? Do you e-mail them BACS payment details the day before they collect or do you get them to do it when they have seen the goods they are collecting ?
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Re: Taking BACS payment from a customer anyone ?

Post by silvercleave »

I offer BACS details on all invoices, they then have a choice, cheque or payment through the bank.

Usually email the invoice before collection, don't have any problem.

If they have a bank account surely they have a cheque book

Ian
prospero

Post by prospero »

Get a card reader Adam. :yes: :D The time they save in faffing about will more than cover the rental.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

On a sidenote......

Some companies seem to make it easier to pay your bills than others. I pay Arqadia by internet transfer. All the details saved on the Bank site. All I have to do is pick who I want to pay from a list - enter amount and a ref num an click. Done. Anytime day or night.
Compare this to writing a cheque, addressing an envelope, walking down to the post box. Stamps aren't cheap either. Or even calling and reeling off your card number etc. I wish this were possible with all firms.

Cardinal rule in business: Make things as easy as possible for people to pay you. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

prospero wrote: I pay Arqadia by internet transfer. All the details saved on the Bank site.
I think this is commonly referred to as BACS. It normally shows up on the other person's account within an hour or so, but needs to be done before the Customer picks the stuff up. Of course you also need to have internet banking facilities yourself to check when it's gone in.

Almost all our corporate customers pay this way, but rarely do private people want to do this. Hence card readers.

My daughter pays everything by card - she does not have a cheque book. She reckons that if the outlet does not take cards or does bank transfers they are way too stick in the mud and wont bother with them. She rarely carries any cash either :roll:
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

I have several customers who pay by BACS with no problem at all. I email an invoice with BACS details asking them to use my job/invoice number as a reference if possible that way you can tie debit entries into your account with the correct invoice.

Having said that I am after a card machine at the mo, just researching the best deal which currently seems to be Card Save.
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Post by Vince442 »

Most of my customers are artists and they mostly all pay via BACS. The general public always pay by card or occasionally cash. I have a couple of regulars who still prefer to pay by cheque.
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

For those of you considering a card machine, the best three pieces of advice I can offer are:

CHECK THE LENGTH OF THE CONTRACT

Other than that, CHECK THE LENGTH OF THE CONTRACT

Don't be sucked into a very long contract regardless of the rates offered, they can put the rates up anytime they like, and if you've got a 5 year contract you are stuffed
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Good advise Abacus. The quotes I've had so far vary from 12 months to 4 years, you can guess which interests me the most.
Uncle Sumo

Post by Uncle Sumo »

Sounds like you may have first hand experience, Abacus. I am at the moment looking for a card reader company. Thanks for the warning.

Some artists and photographers I know are starting to look at iZettle, WorldPayZinc etc. Losing sales at art fairs, festivals and the like is driving them into considering some kind of mobile device.
Sean
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

The thing about izettle and their ilk is that they have relatively high charges, e.g 2.75% for credit or debit charges. I pay a flat fee for debit cards of iirc 17p and 1.3% for credit cards' plus 3p per transaction.

But, I pay £20 per month for the terminal and approx £100 pa of other charges.

You have to do the maths for your own situation and include the card costs in your prices whichever way you go.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Longer contracts seem to suit me better as I get older, years seam to skip past and I get annoyed at renewal paper work, but I agree with abacus if it's your first a short contract is best, 2.75% would cost us far more than having a high rental our charges are 1% for credit and 10p for debit, last month we paid £73 and £25 rental, Izettle would have been almost 3 times that, although 90% of our trade is paid for by card, if you can get other payments and use Izettle as a last resort it might pay off.
Vince442
Organisation: Alchemy Art & Framing Ltd
Interests: Art, photography, architecture, bonsai, travelling

Post by Vince442 »

And don't take a contract that wants a deposit or set up charge. Had one company wanting £125 as a set up charge! Told them politely where to go.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

In these days of internet banking I have quite a few customers who pay by direct bank transfer, particularly business customers. I tend to find that consumers prefer to pay by card but I do accept direct bank transfers from them if that's their preference.

Like others, though, I would advise you to get epos set up in some way as it is kind of what customers expect to see these days. I use Barclays epdq, which works really well for my size of business although you may be able to research and get better deals elsewhere.