Paypal Upgrade - October

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Paypal Upgrade - October

Post by misterdiy »

A few days ago I had an email from Paypal saying that they were upgrading the architecture of their payment platform from HTTP 1.0 to HTTP 1.1 and failure to do this MAY result in e commerce sites not working.

We have also had an email from our lovely web designers, who we love to bits :roll: saying that for £250 + VAT they can fix this. Knowing our web designers as we do I am highly suspicious of their wonderful "offer". Does anyone know whether or not this will make any difference to the operation of the Paypal checkout on the site, bearing in mind that this site was built in and went live in August 2011 and probably predates any notification from Paypal on the subject.

I dont have access to the website workings so cannot make changes to code myself. :(
prospero

Re: Paypal Upgrade - October

Post by prospero »

Are you sure it was from PayPal? I have had numerous PayPal mails asking me to update my details and I ignored them all to not ill effect.

Yours may be kosher. Just saying.... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
misterdiy

Post by misterdiy »

Yes, I am pretty sure because our web designers sent a lovely email telling me they could sort it for £250.00 + VAT

It's certainly something to look out for as there are so many scams. The Russian brides ones seem the best though.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Old news.it was announced in october 2011.... I think it changed in February/March this year.

Whatever cart or scripts you are currently using must still be compatible or they wouldn't be working now.

What deal are they offering on the Y2K bug fix?
;)

Keep your eye on it, just in case or ask them to explain exactly what they are going to do, or is this just for "checking" its all working? I suspect its the latter. However the information about changing to http 1.1 is legit.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Just realised I should have added

To set your mind at rest have a look in your own Paypal account at the IPN history (where you can see all the IPN messages) and see if there are any IPN PDT errors showing in there. Thats the place you'll spot any problems with http 1.1 related stuff. Just keep your eye on that for a while and see if any problems develop.

This should be helpful:
https://cms.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd= ... Operations
misterdiy

Post by misterdiy »

Many thanks for that Kev

Will follow this through and report update.
misterdiy

Post by misterdiy »

I have checked the IPN account and there have been no errors at all. So it looks like it is OK, but I will keep an eye on it and see if the issue causes any bother.

Once again thanks Kev :yes:
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

I just received an email from our web hosting provider, notifying clients that there currently is an issue with linking php ecommerce sites to Paypal due to an update at Paypal's end. They also informed me that the majority of small business ecommerce sites, including mine, fit into this "technical" category. Apparently they are working on the problem F.O.C.

As we host with a Chamber of Commerce that have been around since the 1800s I generally find them pretty trustworthy :)

Fortunately I use Barclays EPDQ for all payment processing so haven't been affected, but it seems the Paypal problem does actually exist.