New Business - Grants?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

New Business - Grants?

Post by topcat »

Hello everyone

I’m looking into starting up my own small picture framing business and I wondered if anyone knew of any business start-up grants that I might be able to apply for? You hear about such things in the news from time to time but until you actually want one for yourself you never realise quite how elusive they can be!

I cannot afford to start my own business without borrowing from a bank and unfortunately have been unsuccessful in tracking down any long lost millionaire relations. Although I anticipated having to borrow money I thought it would certainly be worth looking into any available grants as an added bonus and to possibly reduce (however slightly) the amount I have to borrow.

Though I have been employed full-time as a picture framer for ten years I am still only 26, I don’t have a mortgage and have never borrowed money in my life - apart from the odd tenner from my parents of course.

I am really excited about the prospect of this new start and I can’t wait to get going!

I would be most grateful to anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction.

I will post this ad in a couple of sections in the forum as i am not entirely sure under which category it falls.
Roboframer

Re: New Business - Grants?

Post by Roboframer »

Reckon this is the correct sub-forum, no need to post the same topic in others .... ever really!

No idea BTW - have heard of grants for training though.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Our local Business Link in Bradford use to give out business grants. Only in regeneration areas. Now I think are they under another name or finished. There is a scheme at the moment called kickstart, they are giving money towards websites, etc. check it out http://bradfordkickstart.wordpress.com/. They probably have similar projects in your area worth a try
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I don't know, and most people on this forum will be already in business so unable to help.
What about a local business gateway, or a site like this:
http://www.smallbusiness.co.uk/starting ... p-funding/
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

There are some government schemes available and pramsay 13 link would be a good start. crawling the web otherwise.

any grant fund or lender would also require a full business plan with ( usually) 3 years projections.

good luck. mad world being self employed but wouldn't change it!
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Post by Tudor Rose »

Lots of councils have schemes to help small businesses in start up units in industrial areas at more affordable rates, so that might be worth looking into.

When we were setting up the help we got from Business Link was invaluable. The local Federation of Small Businesses might be able to offer advice too.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
markw

Post by markw »

The Princes Trust might help - I think your in the right age bracket. Good luck.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i am of the opinion these grants actually put small businesses in danger

recently customer came into me, who would do few hundred a week with me in prints and frames etc

tells me hasnt been sending me stuff cos got a grant from gov to buy printer

NOW

how does that help, ok he gains, but i loose. government to dont gain either way, cos one less figure on dole, but less tax from me
topcat
Organisation: Bay Framing
Interests: Picture Framing
Football
Music

Post by topcat »

Thanks for all the responses everyone, this forum is such an excellent source of information and support. I will certainly look into all of the above suggestions. Sadly i think that i might have missed my opportunity with at least some of these organisations as many seem to have closed down. Business Link was the one name i already knew of and several people had suggested and their north-west division closed two years ago.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

No useful advice from me other than if the bank is the only place you can get the money don't let it stand in your way, just do your figures and be realistic, don't try and get anything from the bank you can't afford to pay back with ease, also have a plan B, and then go for it. You are only here once.

with your ten years framing experience you have a head start over 90% of framing business startups, you can do the job, you just need your own equipment and premises and a bit of marketing now. You've already done the hard work.

But nice to see some young blood getting into the business anyway. Let us know how you get on.
The first rung is being self employed, the next rung is running a business ;)