working from home with visiting customers

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
muffinski
Organisation: none
Interests: framing

working from home with visiting customers

Post by muffinski »

I have met a few framers that work from a rented space within a business park and was wondering if anyone works from garage/workshop from home that actually have customers who visit them there. The reason I ask this is that most of the business parks are out of the way as would be someone’s home, however, the overhead costs would be significantly cheaper if any. I am hoping to move to a new home with thoughts of running a business from there. Is there anything I need to be mindful of running a business this way?
Roboframer

Re: working from home with visiting customers

Post by Roboframer »

Planning permission for change of usage. If you decide to go to the customer instead and only carry out the work at home, you'll probably get away with no planning permission, but write to the council and let them know your intentions and enquire about planning permission.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I did this and the local planners were fine about it, but it is best to check, you don't want to set up, start trading only to be closed down.

Space. If things take off you will need plenty of space. I'm working out of half a double garage and most of the time I could do with more.

Insurance. Make sure your policy covers you for storage of art work, public liability, equipment etc. the normal household policy probably won't.

Access. Anywhere for customers to park? Can delivery vans reach you?

Neighbours? Are they going to be ok with delivery vans and an increase in traffic?

Heating. Dam cold in the garage in the winter.

Probably more...
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Post by Timh »

you may be liable for commercial rates from the local council and if you claim them back as a business expense then you also may liable for tax if you sell the property.
an accountant mentioned this to me a while ago when I wanted to set up an office at home and claim parts of the mortgage and rates against the business.

worth checking and it may have changed as this was quite a few years ago
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

I believe it did change for office at home use. There was an outcry about people who had a "home office" (ie reps) who wanted to claim light and heat as an allowable expense, but were told by HMRC that it would make a part of the house eligible for CGT. So that was dropped by the Government of the day, but if you were having a devoted part of the home dedicated to framing and were claiming business rates off this then I think you would be liable for CGT at the point of sale of the property.

However, a way round this may be to have a "shed" in the garden dedicated to framing which may get rated as business use by the local council, but when you came to sell the house you dismantle the shed. No more business rates. No CGT either
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Talk to your local council. They will have a policy and guidelines on this, which will tell you what they will allow and what they won't allow. Most councils are quite friendly and helpful.

My local council stipulates that customers may call by appointment only and advertising may not be displayed at the premises. They don't object to delivery vehicles unless they are reported to them as causing a nuisance by neighbours.

Finding companies which will provide business insurance for non-business premises might be a difficulty. Also there are issues such as waste collection to consider.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

Thanks for the replies, some really good points made for me to be thinking about.
kevin
Organisation: picture framing services
Interests: framing, photography, table tennis

Post by kevin »

public liability insurance is a must in case a customer might have an accident. Otherwise you may end up selling your home to pay compo. Also cover for customer's work.
My Insurance covers any single item up to a max of €1000.
A compressor within an area open to customers also adds to insurance costs.
Insurance for your self and/or staff, tools, materials, machinery etc; will be costly if available at all.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

Personally I think its more professional to work from high street, commercial premises units. Your home is your home.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

A friend of mine set up a home-based business fifteen years ago framing from his converted 3-car garage rated as an artists studio.... He retired last year, and made a good living all the time he worked from home, converted the "studio" back into a garage when he'd finished framing in it. Its own electricty meter etc kept the books straight.

due to planning regs there were no advertising signs allowed, and most of the business came from the trade and word of mouth and artists.
Nothing wrong with working from home, in fact it is probably the safest and easiset way provided you organise your waste transfer and other obligations properly you will find that your local council will be more than helpful with sensible advice to keep you on the right side of the local regulations.

The lack of a high street shop front or signage just means you have to use other methods to gain new trade, and don't expect passing trade. It in no way excuses "cheap" pricing either.

Don't be put off being home based, although you may still get tarred with the same brush as some hobby or "lifestyle" framers (idlers, potterers-about, and tax dodgers). When its quiet on the high street, we all blame the garage-framers ;)
Trillian
Organisation: Considering the options. Again!
Interests: Changes on a daily basis, but I'm never without a book to read.

Post by Trillian »

Given the current state of some high streets, and ever increasing parking charges and restrictions, it is prudent to consider all options when setting up a new business. A high street location is not necessarily the best location for all framing businesses, depends on the business model. Kev's friend is a good example of how it can work.
muffinski

Post by muffinski »

It really good to hear positive and encouraging experiences about starting a business from home. Thanks for the responses.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I worked from home for six years and for the last three of those we had a shop, there just wasn't room for a workshop.
An Old Master

Post by An Old Master »

I was once on a long drive in a remote area and saw a sign at the end of a track saying 'Picture Framing' ; there were no buildings in sight, so I decided to investigate. Ten minutes and 3 miles down a gravel track later I arrived at a very smart bungalow with gallery and workshop next to it. There were three other customers there as well.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

It really good to hear positive and encouraging experiences about starting a business from home. Thanks for the responses.

thats good to hear. let us know how you get on looking for the new place.
the thing I hear most from people with other home based businesses is the importance of keeping work and home life separated. Your day off is your day off, etc, and have a separate telephone for business, stuff like that.