Copyright

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
spoks
Organisation: Photo Frame
Interests: Photography

Copyright

Post by spoks »

Hi

I am a photographer at heart. Just starting up selling my own framed prints. However, I would like to frame other prints but need further advice about copyright. I have already had an offer of a talk with a local framer but would like to get as much information as I can on the subject. My queries are as follows

Can I purchase prints from an online wholesaler and frame them for re-sale
Can I purchase second hand prints from an antique shop, market or private seller, frame them and re-selling.
Can I purchase of prints from museums and other institutions, (For example the National Railway Museum or the London Transport Museum) frame them for re-sale
Can I overlay my own images onto an original page from a dictionary dated 1950 and selling the framed print.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Re: Copyright

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

You can do all that no problem
spoks
Organisation: Photo Frame
Interests: Photography

Post by spoks »

Thanks for the advice - very helpful
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

i am not sure its that simple if you take someone elses image and manipulate, ie add yours over
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I agree, someone will own the copyright on the book and its text even if it is only a dictionary.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Yes, copyright is a complex area. Having said that, the chances of someone from the company who published the dictionary in 1950 spotting your modifications and getting their feathers ruffled are best described as 'slim'. And if they did, the chance of them bringing a successful legal action against you are even slimmer.

Doesn't make it right though. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yes DEFF pete

as people involoved in the art and photography world we should adhere to copyright as much as possible, as we would be the first to jump on someone who broke our copyright
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Uk copyright law is 70 years after the artists death or first publication, if it was first published over 70 years ago you are ok....... but only if you are copying that first publication as subsequent publications hold their own copyright but only in the UK.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Derivative works can be an issue. I don't know the exact current legal stance but two issues I came up against (quite) a number of years ago...

OS would not sell me maps because I told them I would be framing and re-selling them. A framed product is a derivative.

A well known publisher would not allow their prints to be overpainted (oilifyed with a clear oil) because the product would be a derivative product.
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

A simply answer is ask the wholesalers.

We sell a local artist work framed. We made an agreement with him that we cut his mounts at a reduced rate but we get a few prints at a reduction for us to frame and sell.

Regarding the book. There is a lot of art these days being printed on the pages of old books.
I'm not sure on the copyright but you are not selling it on as a book. Does alterating it change things?
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

The only problem here would be with the dictionary. I imagine if it was just the style you were after, it would be easy enough to type up a document to create what you're looking for without having to use that particular image at all. I see no problem with all of the other examples that you have stated.