How much do you spend on advertising?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: How much do you spend on advertising?

Post by Not your average framer »

I wonder how the return on advertising expenditure would vary between normal market conditions and market conditions during a recession.

I suspect that such information would be quite useful for some of us!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

We have historically spent £5k to £6k on all forms of advertising, our biggest outlay being the local free A5 magazine. This worked quite well for us, but we "rested" them for 6 months and we have lost some sales growth, so we have reinstated them again to see what the difference will be (if any). Most of those new to us are either word of mouth or through Yell and their tie up with Google, so we wont be dumping that one anytime soon.

Dolce Gusto is the Nescafe brand that is constantly being plugged on the TV/radio as instant stuff is now is so last year. Anyway I use Lidl's Arabica ground so there.

The best is word of mouth but unless you are reasonably well established, your name has to be out there - somehow, and advertisng is the best way. Once the initial 5 years are over then website/Yell and word of mouth should suffice.

if you want a service how do you find it? Google most likely.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

That's right - google - but radio advertising is 'intrusive' - not for people looking for what you do anyway but giving people ideas and inspiration to get their feet through your door.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

benjiman grapes wrote:Word of mouth and recognizing the advantages of doing free charity frames.
I love your website Mr Grapes, about 50% of my work is football shirts, not quite as creative as your designs but the customers seem to like them in my neck of the woods.:D
You obviously get a lot of requests from charities for framed shirts, I get loads, I tend to offer a small discount but as a one man band I don't feel I can do freebies, it would be nice if I was in a position to do so though, have you any advice to deal with these awkward phonecalls ?
Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I'm like you Adam. I work for myself and in West of Scotland football shirts are pretty popular.
When I get a request for a charity I explain that I am self-employed and cash is tight, but that I can do it for £x amount instead of £y.
Most people seem fine with that, and some take me up on it, and some move on down their list. If they do take me up on it I'll give them a pile of cards to take away. It's getting my name out there, although as far as I know I haven't had anyone picking up my card at an event and ringing me up.
Pro-Am
Organisation: Pro-Am
Interests: Running after 2 year old daughter, no time for anything else.

Post by Pro-Am »

When we moved into framing a few months ago, I posted a photo of some of our ready to go frames on our photo lab Facebook page and paid for it to be "pushed", supposedly it reached 8000 people in the local area. The total cost was $30. Can't say it was a dramatic result, however a number of people have mentioned the add and for $30 it has paid for itself a few times over.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I've done a few sponsored listings on facebook, trying out different things, different amounts, targeting it at certain people etc.
There was varying degrees of success. One that I thought was particularly good reached about 8,000 people, but only got 1 like and no other leads. I paid £15 for that. Another one of a football strip I only paid £3 for but got quite a few (around 5?) enquiries from.
Sometimes I boost a general discussion post, perhaps about an art news item. It then generates discussion and hopefully awareness of your work, even without any direct leads.
It think it was John Ranes in another post that said facebook isn't the free medium it once was, so if you embrace it and are prepared to pay, it can generate some good leads. It is easy enough to start with £3 here and there.
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

Bagpuss wrote: I love your website Mr Grapes, about 50% of my work is football shirts, not quite as creative as your designs but the customers seem to like them in my neck of the woods.:D
You obviously get a lot of requests from charities for framed shirts, I get loads, I tend to offer a small discount but as a one man band I don't feel I can do freebies, it would be nice if I was in a position to do so though, have you any advice to deal with these awkward phonecalls ?
Bagpuss
Thank You Bagpuss.
I got your PM too and replied.

Most of our shirts aren't quite as creative as I've posted here.
These one's are when I get to play!
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |