As much as possible

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: As much as possible

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't like the "as much as poossible" way of doing business. I think that it implies contempt, or a lack of respect for other people.

What happened to fair play and knowing that your customers can trust you?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeorgeHunter
Organisation: Townhouse Gallery
Interests: Photography

Post by GeorgeHunter »

I think we are maybe talking about different things.
I simply mean that as business people we make an investment of time and money and we should be aiming to get the best return on that
investment. There is no question of contempt or mistrust etc. A customer needs something framed and we give them a price for the job and they can choose to accept the quote or go to another framer. There is total transparency and honesty in the relationship.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I hope you don't complain Mark, when a garage framer takes 50% of your business by charging half what you do because his overheads are less therefore it must be morally right for him to charge less and not the market value of his work or to put it another way 'as much as he can get'.

welcome to the forum by the way George.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I was referring to the policy of charging £700 for 3 10"x8" frames with triple mounts.

We don't know which moulding was used, but how much do you need to pay for top class 2" plain black moulding?

Just for fun, how about a few of us posting some of our own prices for the same details.

O.K., I'll kick it off at £108 each using a really nice moulding (say £2 per ft), conservation mountboard and plain glass.

It would not be difficult to choose an average price, but still nice moulding and get the price down to £75 each.

For a trade customer looking for a deal, I would probably allow up to about 30% discount if pushed. It's not a particularly difficult job so I would expect to do all three in around about one hour.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeorgeHunter

Post by GeorgeHunter »

Hi IFGL. Thanks for the welcome and thanks for contributing.

Going by the number of views of this topic it appears that a lot of people share my interest in frame pricing
and in my opinion that is as it should be, as a framer like any business person is served well by a healthy interest in improving the bottom line.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Just noticed that in the OP, the photographer offered the framing @£700. Was the offer taken up? :P

Maybe he doesn't like framing. :giggle:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeorgeHunter

Post by GeorgeHunter »

The customer did not take up the £700 offer.
I have been framing for him for years. He took the photographs and they are coming to me for framing.
We will probably decide to frame them differently to the photographer's suggestion but off the top of my head if I was
to frame them as the photographer suggested I would expect the price to be closer to £100.