seasonal peaks and troughs

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
The Common Framer
Organisation: The Horsell Framing Company
Interests: Photography, Boats

seasonal peaks and troughs

Post by The Common Framer »

Hi all

Coming up to 1st year anniversary. This time last year we were just about to open and then had a busy few weeks (As would be expected as locals came to support). Last week and this week to date however, I have seen a dramatic reduction in activity - not just for me but other local businesses. Is this "normal" for this time of year? I expect it to go quiet during school holidays etc. but not before. Not cause for panic but interested in knowing if others are finding things a tad slow.

cheers

Matt
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Re: seasonal peaks and troughs

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I would not panic too much, a General Election can slow down extra spending as people tend to wonder how they will be affected afterwards. We also had a couple of quiet weekends with people watching the Rugby, but generally we are slightly up on last year. That said for us it is the next 6 months that is all important here in Cornwall - please let the sun shine!! :sweating:
The Common Framer

Yes - I think you are right. Rugby certainly had an effect. Not panic... i can still afford a :beer:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would not be too concerned about the peaks and troughs at this stage. We all get that! Not only that, but I find that no two years are ever exactly the same in terms of business patterns throught the year. As you say, you have only been trading for one year and it usually takes at least two years to get a business properly established.

I would not expect your first two years to be particularly typical patterns of what is to come, so don't try and read too much into comparisons with last year. The first year is the scariest. That's behind you now and you have survived it, so the coming year should be more encouraging for you as even more people will become aware of you as time goes on and the potential for repeat business tends to increase year on year.

As the number of customers who you have done framing for increases, the potential for extra business driven by word of mouth recommendations, also increases. As time goes on, a lot of your business growth will be a natural progression.

I know Woking as I used to work for Tag Electronic Systems in the Genesis business park and I know the surrounding area. There are a lot of smaller towns, villages and housing developments outside of your town which could be developed as part of your businesses catchment area with a bit of leg work and a few leaflets through letterboxes. For a lot of these places, you are perhaps their nearest framer, but you need to let them know where to find you! I hope that this helps!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
The Common Framer

Thanks mark. I am not overly concerned. My first year has greatly exceeded my expectations so all in all- I have a solid base from which to grow. Agree regarding my location: I have a great catchment area and social media is proving a great foot free way to promote my business outside my immediate village. I have also had good success from leafleting and will continue with that.
Thanks for your encouraging words.

Best regards

Matt
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

The first three months of the year have been very good, now as Easter approaches, things are slowing down to I the point where I can tidy up a bit. I sell a lot to artists and that side of the business is very seasonal but I find there are three seasons, from Jan until easter, then it goes quiet for a month or so but picks up into July. Then quiet again picking up in September. I don't sell much on line in the lead up to Christmas. then it is mainly bespoke stuff coming through the door which is steady for most of the year appart from July/August when it is quiet for me.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
The Common Framer

Hi geospectrum. Seems similar to my limited first year experience. I however am currently 95% bespoke business - 5 per cent picture sales but mainly just to keep window fresh. ( small open plan retail space and workshop combined). Now that I have bedded down the bespoke a little, plan to look at other avenues to grow sales. Internet sales is an obvious route to market although I need to think how I might do this given limited storage space and smaller margins likely.

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated. Cheers. Matt
benjiman grapes
Organisation: GN Framing
Interests: I'm a philosophical tea drinking film geek gamer with OCD. My family is established in Norfolk, England prior to 1686 and I butter with a spoon.

Post by benjiman grapes »

Last week I completely cleaned out the workshop and re-organised.
This week I'm trying to get ahead for what could be worst week ever next week!
Benjiman Grapes
DURUM PATIENTIA FRANCO
| www.benjiman.co.uk | benjiman.grapes@hotmail.co.uk |