Insurance for wooden building

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Insurance for wooden building

Post by pramsay13 »

Following on from a previous topic I'm going to be building a log cabin to use as a workshop but my current insurer won't insure a wooden building.
Do any of your framers use a wooden building and who are you insured with?
prospero

Re: Insurance for wooden building

Post by prospero »

The building or the contents? Or both?

What's the worst that can happen? It can burn down. :? And if you take precautions you can reduce the risk.
Make sure the electrics are sound. If it's heated make sure you don't use appliances with naked elements or
wood burning stoves, etc. Don't do any welding in it. :roll: Pipe in the electricity though a separate circuit breaker.
Keep it tidy and don't allow heaps of shavings/sawdust to accumulate. Also, watch out for rags in bins which can
spontaneously combust.

What else? A tree might fall on it. A plane might crash on it. Aliens might abduct it. :shock:

So apart from fire risk it's fairly safe. Put some f-off locks on it and I'd say you could sleep easy.

Think of an arbitrary figure that you might have had to pay in insurance premiums. Every month put this amount in
a seperate bank account. In about ten years you will have enough to buy a new shed. :clap: :ninja:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Jamesnkr

Re: Insurance for wooden building

Post by Jamesnkr »

What sort of insurance? For a business run within the building? Or just the building itself?

The NFU are often more helpful than most.