Branching Out - June PFM Article

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Branching Out - June PFM Article

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Fellow forum member, Keith Hewitt has written an article in the current issue of Picture Framing Magazine, on branching out into other products to compliment your framing business, and specifically visit with frame shop On Church Hill in Manchester...

Interesting story which compliments my seminar on Diversifying Your Framing Business. I have taught this at the WCAF - West Coast Art & Frame Show a couple of times, and believe that the concept is a very real element to survival and growth as the industry changes.

I am hoping to present this seminar in the UK in September and have been in discussion with a couple of FATG Branches about this opportunity - I will be in the Northwest to celebrate my wife's 50th Birthday with family.

At the very least, I hope to drop in a visit Andrew Mount in Manchester who has had a retail business since 1984. Nice article Ketih!

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Jamesnkr

Re: Branching Out - June PFM Article

Post by Jamesnkr »

On Church Hill is not Manchester. It's like saying a shop in the Hamptons is in Manhatten. ;)

A particularly good edition. The card shop point - to increase footfall - is very interesting. You'd have to employ a full-time sales member, of course, if you're dealing with 60 people a day to sell them cards. And if you take £5 off each of them, that's 90k p.a., if it's 40k to cover the cost of stock, another 40k to cover staffing then you're not making anything much out them. Of course, it's then an extra, paid-for, set of hands around the shop, and you are making something from them. Employing staff is so often a way of making the staff better off, but not you.

I also like the article which says 'are you a carpenter or a designer?' and encourages you to make your money at the design stage, not in the workshop.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Jamesnkr wrote:On Church Hill is not Manchester. It's like saying a shop in the Hamptons is in Manhatten. ;)
Indeed James, the author stated near Manchester, in Knutsford - remember he was writing to an American and World audience. :wink: In my haste, I missed that detail.
Jamesnkr wrote: ...A particularly good edition. The card shop point - to increase footfall - is very interesting. You'd have to employ a full-time sales member, of course, if you're dealing with 60 people a day to sell them cards. And if you take £5 off each of them, that's 90k p.a., if it's 40k to cover the cost of stock, another 40k to cover staffing then you're not making anything much out them. Of course, it's then an extra, paid-for, set of hands around the shop, and you are making something from them. Employing staff is so often a way of making the staff better off, but not you...
The simple math makes that sound like a wash, but the reality and potential are much greater. If On Church Hill's customers are anything like the card shoppers who patronize our shop, they seldom purchase only one card. With a premium and diverse selection of cards, most consumers purchase 3-5 cards per transaction.... Some, much more!

Another thing to consider is that if only one person per 100 returns with a framing order because they have discovered this business and feel comfortable there, then that is an additional 3 bespoke framing orders per week! Granted the concept takes a business beyond the one man framer stage, and that is a very viable option for many who might want to grow and take their business to the next level.

I actually looked to their website, and discovered that On Church Hill has diversified into many items. The article mentions the high profitability with balloons, but I saw more traditional items in this shop include plush, scarfs and home decor items.

Overall... A very inviting and interesting shop to visit. Which brings into play, another element of consideration. This branching out and diversifying encourages customers to want to come and browse this shop. Whereas, the typical bespoke framer usually only draws in clients when a definite need is at hand.

Regards,

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

So very true John
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How well selling cards works as part of your framing and gallery business will depend upon a number of different factors. Getting these factors right will go a long way to making this a successful add on to your existing business, but it won't work if your business is in the wrong location.

If you are located in a fashionable and up market location, where customers are looking for something special and willing to pay for quality items, this could work very well for your business. However, the cards that you are selling must be stunningly artistic and of the highest quality. Customers with money are looking to buy the best.

Here is an example of one very classy artist and some of his images are also published as cards by another company. A good approach would be to stock a few of his prints and the cards as well. I have no difficulty selling paintings, or prints of this sort of category in my own location.

http://johndonaldsonpaintings.com/gallery

Perhaps more members of this forum would also like to put forward their own suggestions of other suitable artists for cards and links to see the artists work.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer