Pricing stacked frames

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Pricing stacked frames

Post by GeoSpectrum »

How do people go about pricing stacked frames i.e. Frames made of two or more mouldings? Recently I've added together the cost of the moulding needed and calculated a moulding price for the whole lot based on the rebate size and the width of the stacked mouldings added 10% and run it through my pricing program as normal. It seems to work out ok, but I was wondering if others have a better method?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Pricing stacked frames

Post by Tudor Rose »

We just add multiple mouldings into our pricing software in the correct order we are stacking them in. We then have an extra item listed for stacked mouldings which allows a time element which varies depending on size to add in the extra faff time needed. If it is a simple frame and slip we don't bother, but it is there when we need it. The pricing software does all the calculations for us.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I price each moulding as normal and add an extra charge according to both the size of the frame and the number of mouldings to be stacked together. There is a limit to what any particular job will stand, but after a while you tend to get a feel for this.

I you are going to do much stacked frames work, it is well woth investing in the odd air powered narrow crown stapler, brad nailer, or headless pinner. Tools like this will make jobs like this faster and easier to do, which in turn will keep your prices within the prices that most people will be happy to pay.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I must say, I use an electric - rather than air - nailer which seems more than powerful enough for the job. Though I do wish I had spent the extra and bought one that does staples too, but I didn't need that at the time.
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Alan :D

I wouldn't presume to have a better pricing system than you.

My pricing system relies on keen mental arithmetic and a good memory :giggle:

One thing I always did (and still do) when I was in a more serious way of business, if I had doubts about a price was to say to the customer "can I get back to you when I have checked availability/price of the moulding/mountboard/glass you have chosen" :?: This gave me time to ponder on all aspects of that framing job and get the price right. We always did (and still do) adhere to our price and kept (and still do) records of all jobs. Also, I believe the way a price is presented is so very important, especially if it's a high one :lol:

Not much help I know but just my thoughts :idea:

Peter
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

poliopete wrote:Not much help I know but just my thoughts
More helpful than you think Peter. Good tip!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer