Opinions needed - Apprenticeships

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Opinions needed - Apprenticeships

Post by Tudor Rose »

The Fine Art Trade Guild has for many years tried unsuccessfully to persuade Government to support a Picture Framing Apprenticeship Scheme. We tried different approaches but hit brick walls each time. With a new momentum to apprenticeship schemes generally, the Guild has been looking into this again and under the previous Chair of the Framers Committee an application was submitted to OfQual in the hopes (this time) of making more progress. Unfortunately this was once again rejected.

However, all is not completely lost and there are other avenues we can potentially take. Some of which may involve some more "lateral thinking" rather than just trying to go in a nice easy (haha) straight line. It also seems right in my view, that if we are looking to train the next generation of framers, this could be an opportunity to focus not just on the skills required to frame, but also the skills required to run a profitable business.

With that in mind the Guild Exec Team would like to invite anyone who is interested in taking part to take a short survey of 20 questions so that we can get a wider viewpoint. There are many in our industry who feel passionately about apprenticeships and it would be wrong to try to move this forward without taking as many of those views into account as possible. This is open to members and non-members, bespoke and commercial framers, those in favour of apprenticeships and those against. We welcome all opinions.

If you would like to take the survey then please send me a PM and I will email it to you. We can then collate the answers and see what is the most sensible way forward. Our next Framers Committee meeting is in March and so ideally we would like all responses in by 1st March to give us time to go through them before the meeting.

Obviously any discussion on here will be interesting and may spark more debate - but it is answers to the questionnaire that will be most use at this point.

Many thanks

Jo

(with my Guild hat on as Vice-Chair and Members' Warden)
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022