Web Cam for Zoom based design consulations

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Dean Casson
Organisation: CASSONS framing
Interests: painting, family, football, squash

Web Cam for Zoom based design consulations

Post by Dean Casson »

Hello All,

I'm sure that quite a few of us are looking at Zoom based remote/contactless Frame design consultations with customers - has anyone gotten far with it yet and maybe willing to share their technical guru experience or tips?

I've had some trials with WhatsApp/facetime video but it has limitations with colour rendition/shadowing and its rather clunky having to hand hold the device to start off with then put it in a tripod and fiddle with focus and etc while the customer is online.

I have seen some US based framers on Instagram set up with Logitech Brio 4K webcam which looks to be a top drawer choice with high resolution, high MP and frame speed etc.

However, As the world and his brother go to home working, these seem to be rare as hens teeth and pricey at the moment - normally retail around £200 and going for nearly £400 on Amazon!

Any thoughts or advice would be great,

Dean
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Web Cam for Zoom based design consulations

Post by Not your average framer »

If that same expensive web cam packs up and dies of you after it is no longer within it's warrentee period it going to be a big disappointment, but what if the customer viewing your presentation is viewing it on a laptop computer with a less than perfect flat screen like so many often have, what was the benefit of buying such an expemsive camer? Sorry. but why is such an expensive camera going to be so necessary? In a few years you might buy a new compter, with a new operating system and need to replace a non longer fully compatable camera.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but not always great when you have already spend the money , it's gone and you are too late to change your mind. Maybe it's not the best time to be rushing into making decision about spending money, when we don't know what things will be like after the lock down has ended. There might be a new, beeter and maybe cheaper web cam available by then which kocks the sock off the one, you are thinking about buying by then. You also might have more important needs for the money by then as well. I think that you might not lose out by waiting a little while.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Richard Photofusion
Organisation: Photofusion
Interests: Photography, and carting a young gymnast from class to comp to where ever the next sport is.*

*young, now a teenager...

Post by Richard Photofusion »

£400 looks a bit steep, but if normality resumes, could you repurpose the webcam to work with visualisation software?

I think presentation matters - I've repurposed an old ZoomH2 recorder as input mic on my computer, and the audio difference on Zoom and Teams calls is very real (a colleague described it as BBC Radio) - in this age of youtube, people are used to seeing high quality video production, and a dedicated, well positioned, well lit input camera makes a huge difference.

GiGo. The better your input is, the better the output on the viewers end. Almost as important in the process is the quality of your internet connection, as this'll be the first bottle neck in the compression of video and audio coming out from you. Yes the recipient's connection also matters, but the better the signal you put in, the better the chances of the viewer seeing that you're taking communication seriously. Whatsapp seriously degrades the signal in comparison to Zoom.
Dean Casson
Organisation: CASSONS framing
Interests: painting, family, football, squash

Post by Dean Casson »

Many thanks for your thoughts, gents. You're right, there is certainly need for prudence when future income is unpredictable.

Just trying to adapt - Online consultations (including visualisation) are most likely to become more popular, so perhaps the expenditure is a wise investment in the businesses future?

My customer base is a real cross section of age and tech "savviness" (is that a word?) - but many will now prefer to WhatsApp, imessage, FB etc rather than phone me for the initial enquiry (despite the smart phone being in their hand at the time?!)...so I'm pretty sure virtual consultations is a logical next step...social distancing has perhaps just sped up the process. Maybe I'm wrong though!

I much prefer a one on one at the design bench for that interpersonal experience but (Covid restrictions aside) having the online service/capability might be what sets me apart from other framers in the area and perhaps helps me survive.

As you say Richard, visual presentation and showing you take it seriously to customers is important, its sort of what we do. I have wired Hi-speed Internet connection to the workshop so I should be good on output but I'm not a Techie so researching and getting the right kit/apps that can present artwork and frame design well is a time consuming exercise. Of course, getting the "Sales Patter" and consultation "Process" right is probably just as important as the technology too...

I agree £400 is too much for a webcam, unless, as you suggest, it can multi function for visualisation software - most of the Viz Apps/software I've looked at tend to favour a Canon digital camera. I have a decent old(ish)Nikon digital camera and am exploring if that can be used to stream? But I've not looked into it too deeply. I've tried a couple of Visualisation software programmes out which were either too simplistic or too tricky to set up and a bit clunky when imagining a customer present. Maybe time to look again...but this was the essence of the initial question.

Has anyone else gone down this road who is willing to share their expertise/ experience and found good alternatives?

Enjoy the sunshine! Thanks again

Dean
Chris2103
Organisation: Chris Lordan Photography
Interests: Photography: social, landscape, product, wildlife. Hockey. Framing my pictures

Post by Chris2103 »

Hi Dean,

While I haven’t tried this myself, I have read reports from photographers who have been using online selling for years. They encounter issues where customers are looking at finished images online on their home PC, laptop, tablet, phone etc. The vast majority of these are not calibrated so while the photographer (framer) May well take a lot of time and effort to get the image looking perfect and, in the case of a framer, colour accurate, the customer is likely to be seeing something completely different, colour wise, on their screen. They could well ask you to go lighter or darker, for example, only then to be disappointed when they receive the finished article when they realise it doesn’t match their screen image. This could lead to complaints and bad feelings or write ups from the disgruntled customer.

Your end, all matches, and you have done nothing wrong but their end all is wrong and a disaster.

Something to consider

Chris