standard size swept frames

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Compomouldings
Organisation: Compo mouldings ltd
Interests: Framing

standard size swept frames

Post by Compomouldings »

We are starting to look into importing standard size swept and ornate frames.

Our prices seem to be inline with normal moulding supplies. Do you think there is room in the market for an extra player?

Thanks
Mark
Compo Mouldings
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: standard size swept frames

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Mark,

That's very difficult question to ask, most such frames are imported and perhaps the best market to be in at this time of likely currency value movement quite likely in the near future. If you are going to buy imported frames and you buy an adequate level of stock to be able to supply them from stock and the value of the currency of the country, you bought the frames goes down, how does this affect the value of you current stock?

What happens if a major competitor, buys stock from the same country as you after the value of the countries currency has dropped, but you bought your stock at a different currency exchange value and they can afford to sell at a lower price than you? I'm expecting there to be significant downward pressure on prices, during the next couple of years and possibly more that just the next couple of years. Is investing extra cast in stock and good idea with a possible depression on the horizon, perhaps not.

What are your business key strengths? You are largely supplying the U.K. market and I assume manufacturing most if not all the moulding that you sell in this country as well. If this is so, you can top up your stock level at any time, by making more. This give you better control of cash flow than if you need to buy from overseas! If you are looking to move into other markets, why should it not be sometimes that you also manufacture here in the U.K. as well. At least it takes foreign currency variations out of the overall picture.

What about if you supply ready made, but unfinished frames, using you existing range of frame mouldings? I suspect that would make very good sense and perhaps it could be done with almost no extra investment, or risk and to me that sounds like a logical next move. Could perhaps be the smart idea, right now!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Heavens knows if there is spare room in the market for these sorts of frames. I suppose you would be in competition with some big players there.
From my own point of view, the finishes on these frames are awful.
Where you could find a market is to supply the same frames unfinished, ie in their gesso state. I don't know if anyone is doing that but it could be a very useful outlet for both framers and artists.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think you may be trying to compete in a dying market. :roll:

These frames were very popular back in the '80s. They were cheap and looked impressive. I also used to get a lot of
the Frinton Gallery custom frames. But I cannot remember the last time I used a 'swept' frame. Tastes have changed
over the years and people today like a more modern look. Not a bad thing as the ornate gold frames were often used
on art that just didn't suit it.

Not to say that they don't still have a place, if you live in a dwelling that justifies them. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

The mass production side of this market has been slowly dying for decades. Frinton Gallery is made some pre gessoed and finished more modern moulding which they make to order and sell by the length. I think that they look great, but I suspect that it's a limited market. However, it could still be a natural extension of your existing business to make some plain not so ornate mouldings to sell in gusso and mybe somr gessoed frames in standrd sizes too!

In the present un-certain market, branching out into something new, won't be easy. There was a company called "Hand Finised Mouldings" somewhere in Kent, or was it Sussex, than was started by one of the ex-Euro Mouldings reps. The mouldings were really nice and I even bought some samples. He was not doing to badly, but he was still getting the business of the ground, when he developed terminal cancer. Having said all that, the potential was definitely there, but it was a different time then and there was no covid-19 virus to worry about.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Now and again I get a request for frames that have ornaments on. The usual far-eastern ones do tend to be very brassy and
in-your-face though. One of my little strategies is to get on and refinish it. The actual structure of the frames is fine, it's just the
horrible gilding. I do them in a mush softer gold with grey washes and they look the biz. Only prob: they are only available in standard
sizes. Frinton Gallery are great as they will make you anything in any size either finished or plain gessoed. If people want something of
this ilk I can do it. If they will pay the price. :P People have grand ideas, but wilt a bit when a big frame is going to be a four figure price.

I used to buy lots of imported frames from a wholesaler that were damaged returns. I could use them refinished, a few dings and chips all
got made good in the process. I have one hanging above my desk as I type this. 3" 'swept' that was nasty gold with a linen liner. I changed the
liner and made the whole issue a lot more easier on the eye. With the painting in question it looks great. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

We are all concerned about which way things might go concerning our businesses in the post covid vrus business climate. Spread our business activities into other compatible areas is something that everyone is looking at and giving some serious thought to in these present times. It makes good sense to expand into making swept frames as you already make the mouldings anyway, but can you do it, in sush a way that you initial investment is kept down to an affordable level, that does not matter if things are only a moderate success.

I hope everything goes well for you and your business, but this is a good time to devise one, or more plan B options, just in case you need them. Why limit you options to just swept frames? More modern handfinishes moulding profiles could easily be another option and perhaps there are other options as well. What about supplying finished versions of your existing mouldings? Just s thought, maybe not such a bad idea!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer