Mark-up for Aluminium frames.

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Mark-up for Aluminium frames.

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm currently preparing to offer Aluminium frames. Since I've never got round to doing this before, I was wondering how much is the usual mark-up.

I've also noticed significant variations in distributors prices and carriage charges, which might be an interesting subject, as the carriage charge often means that the best price is not always the best deal after all, (subject to size).
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I find the per foot/metre price and price them as if they were wood - no difference to my retail price if I buy chop or length.
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Like John, our metal frames have the same mark up as would a similarly priced wood. (We use a “sliding” scale – it looks sorta, kinda like a parabola.) It, too, is based on the chop price although, for the most part, we buy metal in length.

Not so much for metal frames because we can often get chops when needed thrown on their truck (free delivery), but for those distributors that cannot deliver, we simply pass through the “average” UPS or FEDEX charge.

Our customers almost never challenge the difference between the calculated retail cost / foot (labeled on the corner samples) and this “hidden” delivery charge.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

As a slight deviation to this thread, I have noticed that some aluminium box frame mouldings have a separate slot for the glass. Unfortunately this slot is wider than the glass, but without any provision for stopping the glass from being loose in the frame.

Is there a neat trick I haven't hear of for this?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've seen but never used those profiles - but it seems most ali profiles have a generous 'lip' maybe a mountboard 'slip' ATG'd to the glass, or the very skinny econospace?
Not your average framer

Roboframer wrote:I've seen but never used those profiles - but it seems most ali profiles have a generous 'lip' maybe a mountboard 'slip' ATG'd to the glass, or the very skinny econospace?
Hi John,

Thanks for the Econospace suggestion, which has started a whole different line of thinking. I'm starting to think that the profiles with the separate slot for the glass aren't for me, as they are much too expensive for my liking. However looking at some of the more reasonably priced profiles, there are plenty of really deep ones, which will work a treat with the deeper Econospace spacers.

I've also been doing some price list spreadsheet calculations and it's becoming obvious that the variations in carriage cost are likely to be a major determining factor in which supplier or suppliers I go with.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

NYAF which firms are you considering for Aluminuim ?

We started offering aluminuim frames again about a year ago and have had some success- We use neilsen and the quality is very good- I'll reserve comment on service but suppose on the whole its ok- The frames seem very expensive to me, but if the customers happy then so am I!

However I do find the carriage a bit pricey - its free if you order 5 frames together but sometimes this can take us a couple of weeks to accumulate 5 orders and we seem to live in a world these days where no-one can wait!
Bill Henry
Organisation: Not so much - it's kind of messy.
Interests: Dry mounting dog hair, counting age spots on old people, playing chess with wood elves, scheming to take over the world.

Post by Bill Henry »

Not your average framer wrote:As a slight deviation to this thread, I have noticed that some aluminium box frame mouldings have a separate slot for the glass. Unfortunately this slot is wider than the glass, but without any provision for stopping the glass from being loose in the frame.

Nielsen used to make a profile like that. (It has since been discontinued.)

We didn’t use it too much, but when we did it was almost exclusively for movie posters in an effort to reproduce a “theater marquee” look.

Two and a half millimeter glass seemed to fit reasonably well in that channel, but the 2 mm stuff we generally use rattled around quite a bit. It didn’t bother us too much though. We used to tell our customers that the loose fit was needed to allow for expansion and contraction of the glass.

They seemed to buy it.
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent! – Porky Pine
prospero

Post by prospero »

Rose & Hollis are good for chop ally. They do the neilsen range. (At least they did last time I ordered. Don't use ally very often.)

I must have had 100's from them over the years and never a bad one. And one day when they ran out of one profile and I was desperate they taxied some new stock in especially and did Saturday delivery at no extra cost.
Can't say fairer than that. :D
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Not your average framer wrote:As a slight deviation to this thread, I have noticed that some aluminium box frame mouldings have a separate slot for the glass. Unfortunately this slot is wider than the glass, but without any provision for stopping the glass from being loose in the frame.

ive reglazed some like that recently. they did have a thin mountboard piece in there. makes sense, cushions the glass I guess.
Not your average framer

Framerpicture wrote:NYAF which firms are you considering for Aluminuim ?
Hi Framerpicture,

I'm looking at Neilsen, Arqadia, Alumaframe and Lion so far. I can't think of any others to look at.

I only just started checking them out, but I think Lion are likely to be the cheapest for carriage charges and probably Neilsen and Arqadia have the largest range of colours.

Alumaframe do them as their main line of business, so I assume they will be well geared up for it. Also they make a big thing in their literature about quality, reliability and fast service.

It's suprising how many of them are offering virtually identical products.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

5 frames from Nielsen, any size is carriage free. £X from arqadia is also - last time I used them it was £50 - guessing more than that now!
vfmarky

Aluminium frames

Post by vfmarky »

'Lo all. I have just made up an ally frame to take a small stretched canvas sized 410mmx510mm (so no glass). It's a Nielsen 11703 in gold (yeah, I went oh gawd as well) and came cut to size with a polybag of fittings. It was a pretty straightforward effort to put together (oh OK, it was a doddle) and it turned out really nicely. The customer has just this moment picked it up (in the middle of my tea-break too) and was thrilled. If I'm asked for another ally frame, I won't hesitate. Good profit centre as well.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...
Mary Case GCF

Post by Mary Case GCF »

This thread is of great interest to me as I'm considering taking on aluminium frames as the next big venture. All this change in my life is not good for me, you know :) (especia lly in the wallet department). I've only looked at Lion, partly because of price and partly because I don't want to bring on board another supplier, when I've been trying to whittle down the number of reps that come through my door
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I've often toyed with the idea of buying metal (easier to spell than alu.....) by length but I sell it, mainly to those who want skinny large frames.

I hate that look.

OK - they come wider, but when you get to that stage, if it's for strength it would be a massive frame, if it's for appearance, well many wood frames look for all the world the same at half the price.

Plus I'd rather drop a mounted package into a frame; not slide it in; then there are the sealing issues and the spring clips I hate.

For me a large skinny ali frame is half a notch up from a clip frame and you'll never ever see a clip frame in my joint.
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's a good cure for the cheapskates who "don't want a heavy frame". You show them the skinniest wood frame possible and still it's too heavy. Of course most of the time they are angling for cheaper rather than
narrower. It's then that I pull out the ally samples and inform them that this is the smallest frame available, but it will cost double the wood one.

They tend to see things my way after that. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
deejay

Re: Mark-up for Aluminium frames.

Post by deejay »

Not your average framer wrote:I'm currently preparing to offer Aluminium frames. Since I've never got round to doing this before, I was wondering how much is the usual mark-up.

I've also noticed significant variations in distributors prices and carriage charges, which might be an interesting subject, as the carriage charge often means that the best price is not always the best deal after all, (subject to size).

I use quite a few Nielson metal frames and they do not charge carriage if delivered on their van once a week. If posted they do charge.
john davies
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

aha, at last, got some.....
vfmarky

Post by vfmarky »

Kev, I got my full range of samples delivered just last week - they're still shrink wrapped.
Dunno where on earth I'm going to put them...
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space...
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You've done it all
You've broken every code
And pulled the rebel to the floor
You've spoilt the game
No matter what you say
For only metal, what a bore

Oooo oooo la la la oooo oooo la la la ooooooo