WARNING - Completed Work Sheets

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

WARNING - Completed Work Sheets

Post by Merlin »

What do you do with your completed work sheets. More importantly what information do they contain.

The reason for asking is that this morning I was doing the usual tip run with cardboard waste.
Scrabbling around inside one of the big skips was a guy in white overalls. He was a 'trade waste' inspector.
As it happens, somebody else who was discarding their rubbish knew this inspector and an interesting discussion took place. Without being too obvious I stood to one side and 'ear wigged' the conversation.
Shock.. Horror. :!:
This inspectors role is to try and catch the trade using the public recycle centre by going through the various coloured waste bags. He was quite happy in that he had identified 4 'shops' who had used the tip that morning. He had found old invoices, computer printouts and manufacturing work sheets.
There is a £1000 fine for 'illegally' dumping trade waste in a public recycle centre.
More Importantly. There is a £5000 fine and possible imprisonment for failing to comply with the Data Protection Act.

Even though we take the name, address and telephone number on the order. Our worksheet contains the name and telephone number (just in case we need to contact the person) plus of course details of work and cost. Once the item has been collected the old worksheet goes in the bin - then to the tip... We have worked that way for the past 10 years and I suppose we have been lucky up till now.

So a new procedure will be activated in the shop as of Monday. All our completed A5 worksheets will be shredded.
John GCF
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Re: WARNING - Completed Work Sheets

Post by foxyframer »

All invoices and worksheets are kept for eight years for my referral and HMRC. After that time business related paperwork gets incinerated. Nothing left to chance.

I really don't like the way this country of ours has been going over the past few years. Jobsworth and Mr. Big Brother Snoop Arse far too prevalent nowadays. There seems to be someone out there to get you at every turn in case you stray from government edict. :roll:

Where has our Francis Drake spirit gone ?

Foxy
Measure twice - cut once
prospero

Post by prospero »

I burn all my 'sensitive' material. (I also bung in a load of other stuff while I'm at it. :? )

I'm just waiting for Mr. Clipboard to come round and tell me to stoppit. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

Trade waste costs me over £2,000 a year to get rid of, including bin rental and lifts. Its been illegal for along time to dispose of trade waste in local skips, or domestic bins, or public litter bins, ten years at least round here to my knowledge.

I even have to have a LOCKING bin to keep litter and domestic waste OUT of mine, in case I get fined for disposing of domestic waste in the trade bins....

I dont like the way the country is going either. Its pathetic if you ask me. Just more parasite jobs for the lefties, people who work or live on "the client state", sad cases who were bullied at school and never got over it and other losers who would like a peaked cap and call themselves "officers" now thats a joke isn't it- its just a PITA for everyone else, not a very pleasant place to be any more, specially for the small busines that keeps within the regulations.

Instead of wasting taxpayers money on these kn*bheads going through your waste just to comply with EU directives if the local councils provided a decent trade waste collection service in the extrortionate business rates we all pay, perhaps there would be no trade-waste problem in public skips.

its BS that they separate it and recycle, half of it ends up in landfill or shipped en-mass (trade waste and domestic) to Yorkshire, and the rest ends up in China or some fly blown third world country - wherever is the cheapest place to dump it by the tonne.

Simple solution - slip a stinking chcken carcass or dog poo in each bag, or a nappie, and see how keen they are on sifting through it then ;)

Its food for thought for all the people who work from home who are not paying business rates or trade waste, and who do not have a trade waste transfer certificate.
WelshFramer
Organisation: Neuadd Bwll Framing
Interests: Does running a framing business leave any time for interests?

Post by WelshFramer »

kev@frames wrote: Its food for thought for all the people who work from home who are not paying business rates or trade waste, and who do not have a trade waste transfer certificate.
Sorry guv, it's not trade waste. My hobby is cutting up bits of glass and cardboard. I really get a kick out of it. Once I've cut them into little bits I give them away or throw them in the bin.

Invoices? Oh yeah, that's my other hobby. When I was a kid me and my friend used to play at keeping a shop. He would dig a hole in the garden and sit in it and I would come along and buy things with old ration books. He's probably grown up now but I like to keep up the tradition by pretending I'm running a framing shop and I fill in pretend work orders and invoices.

Please don't look at me like that. We all have our little idiosyncrasies...
Mike Cotterell
Neuadd Bwll Framing

http://www.welshframing.com
My status
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

To be honest i often give bundles of offcut board away to people. No doubt a large amount goes into their bin when they have taken out the useful stuff.
I wonder where, legally, this "scrap" becomes "waste" and who is the person who "transferred"the waste?

After John's timely warning, however, we have re-installed the shredder in the shop..... just another little irritation of modern britain.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I always keep all my completed worksheets as part of my records system, so I can check what was supplied previously in the event that a customer want something framed to match.

However, the thought which does occur to me it this: What happens if a customer throws their copy of an order into a domestic or public waste bin and some daft official decides to dig it out.

Where do we stand then! Clearly the potential for official abuse or unfair treatment of completely innocent businesses is all too obvious.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:What happens if a customer throws their copy of an order into a domestic or public waste bin and some daft official decides to dig it out.

Where do we stand then! Clearly the potential for official abuse or unfair treatment of completely innocent businesses is all too obvious.
They'd need more than that to go on, otherwise they could have a lot of fun with Tescos!

That order would need to be in a bag/box/whatever of related garbage - like mountboard offcuts, Morso shavings, broken glass - lots more order forms, blah blah.

(FFS)