Paying too much for tapes?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Roboframer

Paying too much for tapes?

Post by Roboframer »

Oops, meant to delete my last post, got confused - sorry - will now delete my last post......... :oops:
markw

Post by markw »

Roboframer - I agree with your observations - it pays to look around for prices - good prices on tape from Uk industrial tapes 0191 4873255.

I used the gummed tape for years but have had to go over to self adhesive - it just wont stay stuck to the artcore conservation backing board that I use - and has started to lift on some frames. Despite the fact that you get a lot of gummed tape for your money it fails to impress customers when it comes unstuck. I use the best possible grade of self adhesive and end up with a backing board that looks good and stays stuck.

Viking are brilliant - I just wish they wouldnt waste so much paper by sending me endless mails shots - I know their good - they dont need to remind me every other day.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I looked at UK industrial tapes at the Spring Fair, and had seen their literature previously, didn't like the equivalent of tapes I use - not just the ones mentioned above - prices didn't compare to those I have mentioned above. Plus a rep told me that a certain ATG tape was acid free when I knew it was not. Then he said 'ah - you mean CONSERVATION QUALITY ATG tape" .................... NEXT!

I know Gummed paper tape does not stick to artcore conservation board. How do they justify calling it that anyway? It is not conservation quality, but could be used to back a conservation quality job, with a barrier between it and the artwork maybe? But then, if you have used a proper undermount you could use a variety of Ph neutral backing boards to finish off and it would still pass as a conservation level job.

I use Alphamat artcare foam centre board as a frame backing. That IS conservation quality, and then some, and my effective and cheap gummed tape sticks to it. I know what it won't stick to before I try to stick it to it.

If I need a water resistant backing I have other tapes.

I don't agree with everything the FATG, Pete Bingham and others say, but licky sticky is king here!

Gawd, look at the time, good job I'm not working tomorrow!
markw

Post by markw »

Roboframer
Your use of Alphamat art care foam centre board is an impressive commitment to quality. - I will have to investigate. I use the Artback conservation board for a couple of reasons - The water resistant back (i know - this is the reason that gummed tape wont stick) and the conservation grade liner on the inside surface - as well as the slight bow to the board that, in my experience has a positive effect on the frame contents by applying slight pressure on the mount/undermount.
to quote the Lion web site:
Art-Bak Conservation Board

Art-Back Conservation. 2.5mm. White lignin-free conservation quality facing paper. Water resistant coating on buffered twin-wall brown core. (Same as Conservation Q).

I use this as standard - I also use Alphamat artcare as standard - mountboard and barrier. I stray away from gummed tape with this combination for practicle reasons.

I am always looking at praticle ways to improve the product - Your backing solution is certainly worth investigating.
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

im not having any problems with artbak 3 coming unstuck using gum tape.
Maybe its our cornish water ;)

last time we had a problem was acouple of years ago with corricor's last version of the alleged same product. Then again when a supplier palmed us off with an inferior product (claimed as identical when questioned)

Just a comment:
I seem to have the (outmoded) idea stuck in my head that self-adhesives were frowned upon by the conservationists, but I have met plenty of guild framers as well as several GCFs who use it routinely. about the only thing I need to use it on is, erm... Emafyl/Polcore. I'll get my coat.
markw

Post by markw »

It could well be the Cornish water - or the brand of gummed tape I use - or just the waterproof coating. I have had batches where it sticks reasonably well - others - it just doesnt. I want the back of the frame to look good and personaly I think that gummed tape gives the best results but not always on water resistant backing board.
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

I must be using the wrong 'lickysticky' as well Mark. Mine just does not stick.

I am happy with and will stick(no pun) with the LION tape. For me its less mess and quick and easy. Gives a very neat finish to the back of the frame and to date, I have not had one returned, or even my own work of 10 years ago, for the tape becoming unstuck.

If I need to take a frame apart, say for a remount, then a hot air gun on low setting will make the adhesive soft and it just peels off.

No need to mess around with a sponge and water trying to get the 'licky sticky' off. Too much mess for me..
John GCF
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I tried my gummed tape on a sample of artbak, it stuck - left it for a day or two, still stuck, but it came off too easy when I tried.

I moved to artcare foamcore soon after anyway.

But for the difference in price mentioned above they can STICK self adhesive. Also, if you look into the price, per sq ft for artcare foamcore, compared to artbak, etc, you nay be surprised.

Nielse/Bainbridge also offer good discounts for certain amounts of turnover, if you deal with them, enquire. I'll email anyone with what I get, but best not post it here. Suffice to say I am paying LESS for it than I can get artbak for. Am also paying LESS for artcare restore than I can get Arqadia's heat activated foamboard for, and artcare restore knocks spots off it, conservation-wise and is reversible.

Regarding mess with gummed tape, I have a nice little roller machine thingy, Lion sell them, makes no mess.
markw

Post by markw »

Roboframer - The gummed tape always looks as if its stuck firmly to the artbak - as you say,only to come away to easily when removed. (i use the Lion gummed tape dispenser) - I will ask my Neilsen rep for details of the artcare foamcore - will compare prices.