Insurance for framing retail workshop

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Re: Insurance for framing retail workshop

Post by Gesso&Bole »

I would expect most small retail framers will be paying in the £500 - £1500 per annum range for insurance.

Don't go on price, though, and make sure you are getting the cover you actually need. I use NFU
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Allenhighfield
Organisation: Sutton
Interests: DIY and Golf

Post by Allenhighfield »

For years I have lead a double life, a picture framer and a commercial insurance broker.
My life as an insurance broker has mainly concentrated on contractors all risk in relation to tradesmen and builders.
Bring together my knowledge of picture framing and insurance I would be interested in developing an insurance product specifically for framers.

In order to do so I would be interested to receive feedback on your specific requirements.
Most package policies cover Employers Liability, Public Liability, Product Liability as well as stock, goods in transit, cash etc.
To develop a unique policy I will need to have your input in relation to what you feel you need.

It may be easier to send me a copy of your existing policy highlighting what is required and what is not.
Provided I receive enough assistance I can develop a specific policy with optional add-ins such as property, business interruption, claim limits for customer property and accidental damage.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

It would be good to have a policy where elements can be added as needed. For instance there are many on this forum who do not have a shop so don't need public liability but would like cover for goods held in trust. Shops may not have employees so public liability, goods in trust but not employee liability and so on.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I am insured through Avia's salon policy. It covers everything I could possibly want and I can adjust my level of cover to suit different requirements. It covers goods held in trust, employers and public liabity, etc, etc.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

ChrisG wrote:It would be good to have a policy where elements can be added as needed. For instance there are many on this forum who do not have a shop so don't need public liability but would like cover for goods held in trust. Shops may not have employees so public liability, goods in trust but not employee liability and so on.
Just because you don't have a shop doesn't mean you don't need public liability what happens if your framed work causes injury, they are glass after all. And also if you are a limited company but don't employ anyone you still need employee insurance as you as a director are an employee.

But yes I agree one glove fits all policies don't tend to fit.

I would be interested. I managed to get my insurance down by £500 by taking time to go through my policy with a someone else.
Allenhighfield
Organisation: Sutton
Interests: DIY and Golf

Post by Allenhighfield »

Employers Liability is a compulsorily class of insurance just like the Third Party element of car insurance.
Public Liability on the other hand is optional but in many cases it is deemed an advantage to have a minimum of £2,000,000 of cover.
It is usually classed as Public and Product liability therefore addressing the problems associated with physical or property damage caused by the product you have made or repaired.
Let me know what you feel is important or what optional additional covers you may require and I will design a flexible package.

Corporate Risk Management Ltd.
e-mail eric@ewc.uk.com
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (No. 308263). Member BIBA
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

Allenhighfield wrote:Employers Liability is a compulsorily class of insurance just like the Third Party element of car insurance.
I was under the impression that immediate members of your family who work for you do not count as employees for employers' liability insurance. However anyone else including temporary workers do require you to have a policy?