adverts

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Howard
Organisation: Creative Frames
Interests: Drag racing, music, gardening.

adverts

Post by Howard »

Hi all,
Just been phoned by thompson local about setting up a web advert for my area (colchester)around £200. Would'nt know where to start, pictures, wording all that sort of stuff. I run a very part-time business so do you reckon £200 per year would be worth it.? Anybody else use thompson.?
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Re: adverts

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I have a free listing in Thompson Directory but I definitely would not pay to go in there as a display advert.

There are a very restricted number of businesses in there and in my opinion people no longer keep these to refer to. The Yellow Pages and Telephone Directory have gone the same way.

These days it is all about the internet. For the £200 you were thinking of spending on Thompson you could set up a website and tell the world a lot more about your business than a small advert ever could.

Google seems to have become the starting point for information of any kind. Make sure you set your self up on Google maps, it's free and helps customers locate you.

Ask all your new customers how they found you. In our case it is nearly always "found you on the internet".
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Hi Howard

I would agree pretty much with J2M, and possibly go a step further.

You should not be deciding your marketing strategy based on who phones you to sell you an advert. If you do not have a business plan, incorporating a marketing plan, then that is the place to start. You can get free advice through Business Link, who will help you to plan the steps from where you are now, to where you want to be.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Definitely advise checking out what's on offer at Business Link. I got a grant for £385 to cover a course I went on and just this week I have found a new scheme in our county that gives us 12 hours free mentoring from business advisors.

Start here: http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/home
Howard
Organisation: Creative Frames
Interests: Drag racing, music, gardening.

Post by Howard »

Thanks, I'll be very carefull where I spend my hard earned cash.
prospero

Post by prospero »

For that kind of cash you could buy about three years worth of web space and set up your own site. All you need is one page with your details on for a start. It's not difficult to program html and there are lots of cheap programs that virtually do it for you and include features to upload pages. No need for anything flash. Simpler the better IMHO. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

I echo the above sentiments.

If you are interested in doing your own website then follow this link for the opportunity to get a free website (for the first two years). It is provided by British Business Online, which is a joint initiative from Google, Enterprise UK, BT, e-skills UK and many other partners to help small businesses create their first website and understand the opportunities offered by the Internet.

http://www.gbbo.co.uk/

Best of luck.

Rolf
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

a website isnt any good by itself

its like having a shop with not frontage

you still need to advertise to get people to your site!
birdman
Organisation: Pelican Picture Framing
Interests: Getting up close and personal with Val

Post by birdman »

That may be true but it is a start and it is an advert in itself. As has been mentioned above many people now search the internet rather than use yellow pages, etc. Having a website linked with google and google maps is a great way to get noticed.

Using Business Link and similar sites will also provide other ideas for marketing your business. http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/ac ... 1073861169

You can also find Business Start-Up training that is free in local Enterprise Centres and that would also be a good place to help with business plans, pricing, marketing, etc.
Rolf Lawson GCF
“I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.” Eric Morecambe
My status
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

yep i agree rolf

its kinda what i was trying to suggest thats it not enough to just make a website, there are bits you have to do along with it