Offering a fine art printing service

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Offering a fine art printing service

Post by ChrisG »

I've been asked a few times this year about producing prints of original artwork which has got me thinking whether it is a service I should offer.

What I have gleaned so far is:
photographer creates images of the artwork;
Photoshop to manipulate size and colours balance to artist's requirements;
high definition large format printer to produce artist's proofs and final print runs.

Any comments appreciated especially from framers offering a printing service?

ChrisG
stcstc

Re: Offering a fine art printing service

Post by stcstc »

i do it all the time for people, both photographers and artists

i run 2 44" wide format printers,

i can be a very good money earner, but you do need to know what your doing. ie colour management etc

also knowing what papers to use etc
CanvasChris
Organisation: Retired Picture Framerand Printer
Interests: mountain biking & drinking beer.... not necessarily in that order!

Post by CanvasChris »

It does sound easy, but requires a considerable outlay.... and as Steve says 'the knowledge' :rock:

Printers are available up to 60" . Mine is a 44" too and will set you back £5k...ish. Then when the inks run out,and they do frequently!, 330ml tanks @£120 each and there are 12 of them.
They can be leased where you pay a monthly fee, around £250 and then just the ink used. Google 'The Big Print Plan' ...would be a lot less financial strain and I don't think there is a minimum lease either.

Then to Profile the media to ensure the correct output... i1Pro around the 1k mark.

Hahnemuhle Photo Rag, 24" roll around £130 for 12m

I could go on.

Mind you I just had a job in last week where I photographed 3 artists acrylic on board originals and printed 5 of each to sell at an exhibition and made a good profit. wouldn't mind a few more of those though... :wink: :wink:

Or of course I could do it for you... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Canvas, Acrylic, Photographic, Fine Art Printing & Framing
http://www.prophotosolutions.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I co publish a number of artist work with an agent. I have thought of doing it myself but I have been offered prices from reputable printers that it isn't worth the outlay or time as I wouldn't save much per print and I can make more money with my time just concentrating on the framing.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Having met several people who are in the giclee market, they all appear to be busy and making good money. It is said that there are other spin-off markets and oportunities for whose who are up for it.

I would do some serious research before taking the plunge.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

Well I did setup to be a framers. I setup to do printing and mounting. But so many customers wanted framing I setup to do that.

And now I am mad busy, to the point I can't keep up
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

My original Idea was to set up doing printing as a separate company to the family business which did framing, but I never got round to it and when I had to set up on my own I had so much contract framing work printing got shoved to the side. I still get the bug at spring fair and focus and asked about printers but I think for the level of work I would get it isn't worth the investment. For my contract work the printing I do can be out sourced a lot cheaper than I could probably do it and the fine art printing is probably not much more than I could print it and without the hassle.
stcstc

Post by stcstc »

It depends, if they are small prints then yes the minicab type thing is gonna be waaaay cheaper. But once you get above say 20*16, your then going to be printing the same way everyone else is and then you can save some cash
andrelewis
Organisation: United Kingdom
Interests: Surfing on web, playing games online and photography.

Post by andrelewis »

You can provide the service to clients by creating fine art prints by means of digital printers, put them on frames and your customers will be more then happy from your services.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

You could consider using a third party, there are website that do trade only print on demand. the one I have been looking at suggest a 50% markup on their prices. Add your framing on top and it could be worth while. I haven't done any thing about it yet as I have too many irons in the fire at present but it is on page 1 of my to do list.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Post by ChrisG »

I've seen the results of one of the online printers and frankly it was pretty poor, both in terms of the quality of the media used and the inks themselves. No doubt some operations are better than others though.