Typical commission rates

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
ChrisG
Organisation: Hampshire Framing Limited
Interests: .

Typical commission rates

Post by ChrisG »

I’m contemplating selling artwork from local artists in the gallery and wondered what typical commission rates are?
Graysalchemy

Re: Typical commission rates

Post by Graysalchemy »

I work with an artist's agent and when he places work into a gallery they take 35% on sale or return and 50% if they buy outright however most of them want 50% on sale or return.

You have to remember your wall space is yours for which you are paying rent and rates etc on so it has to make a profit otherwise you could be selling something else which you could make more profit on or have a framing display which generates x amount of business.

I would say 35-40% was fair if you are not buying it outright.

Hope that helps

Alistair
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Another way of doing it is to rent space. For instance my wife has work in a local gallery and for an 8' x 4' space on the wall she pays £20 (no VAT) but they give her all the sales proceeds. She has framed Ltd Ed prints, greetings cards and a browser with mounted prints.

Advantage of this is you get a guarenteed income each month.

Artists are keen to put out work on a commission basis because it costs them nothing!

I would have rules about framing as well e.g. only in frames you have supplied.

Look at Jim Anderson's (Gesso & Bole) website and see what he requires from artists. Here is a link: http://www.gessoandbole.com/artists.html good business sense i would say.
prospero

Post by prospero »

40-50% on SOR for the typical shop in the typical location. The flash guys in Bond Street and such charge much more. 95% isn't unusual.

Framing.... Well that's common sense. I wouldn't insist on my own framing just on principle. But I wouldn't hang anything that was distinctly below par.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

We charge 35% - We also don't insist on it being our framing but most is and it has to be framed suitably.

I would suggest your very choosy about which artists you choose to hang- If you have a nice space you'll be inundated!

Get a simple contract drawn up.

You neeed to make clear to the artist (and HMRC) that your commision is a charge for selling the picture. When the artist records the sale in their books its for the full amount its sold for in the gallery and the commision is an (invoiced) cost.

We also state that they leave the picture with us at their risk, although luckily this has never been tested and our insurance does cover us for goods in trust.

Insist if they hang with you they cant sell at other galleries in a specified radius- Its no good creating a market in a particular artist only to find out there on sale everywhere!

Another thing worth considering is informing the artist they have to give you notice before asking for the picture back. In London galleries this can be as long as 6 months- This is to stop instances where a customer contacts the artist to try and buy direct from them and try to avoid commision.

In fact we only work with artists who understand that theer is a cost to selling in a gallery but a picture has a price- Thats the same price whether they buy it from a gallery or direct from the artist.

If we are buying from the artist and they're not vat regestered we establish a selling price and then take 60% off.
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt