Advertising

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Advertising

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I'm just beginning the advertising and marketing for my fledgling framing business and am looking at advertising in the local press. I’ve started delivering flyers, got the website up and running and have Google Addwords advertising running. I am also using Google Analytics to track the website performance. I also have taken out adverts in local free add magazines.

So far the response has been…er…low.

I was wondering how effective advertising has been for others and what was the response?
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Re: Advertising

Post by prospero »

Most of the response will be from people wanting you to place ads in their publications. :? Out of the rest, 90% will be headbangers.

Think of it like this: If you wanted a picture framed, would your first impulse be to look in the local paper?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Re: Advertising

Post by Framerpicture »

When I started I did a deal with the best selling/most popular local artist, bought a picture from him, framed it in what I thought was the best way possible and put it in the gallery in a free draw in conjunction with the local paper ( cirulation 26,000) cost to me for the painting was 100.00 quid (25 years ago) + cost of frame.
The local paper promoted it as a reader offer which gave me lots of advertising (I also had to pay for some) . This was way before the days of the internet and people had to come in to the gallery to post there completed entry forms. Every person that came in to enter the competition was also given a discount voucher for framing.
I also managed to get a photo of me presenting the winner with the framed picture in the local paper.

I decided to pitch my prices lower than the competition- when I started I had 6 competetors in a 10 mile radius I now have one!
I,ve never been convinced by advertising unless you can do it on a grand scale or has an edge so it gets you noticed. Full page in a paper or publication seems to work but the cost is prohibitive.
I rarely take any notice of advertising online but I know of people who have great success with Google Addwords.

Its tough starting out- It took two years for us to become known but a full 8 years before we got fully established ,this was greatly helped by a high street location.
Maybe with the internet and social networks it will be much easier in the 21st century.

Good Luck!
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt