GCF Salary

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Coxby
Organisation: Creative Picture Framing
Interests: Art

GCF Salary

Post by Coxby »

How much would a GCF be expected to be paid by an employer with 3 years experience?
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Well, if the employer only has 3 years experience a wily GCF could probably wangle a real good deal! (sorry)

There's GCFs and GCFs I suppose, depends on his CV - I'd start him higher than someone I'd train from scratch but would still need to train him/her in some aspects I am sure.

I wouldn't like to state a figure but the easier staff make my life, combined with high productivity and quality, the more they'll get paid.
Underpinner
Organisation: No business
Interests: Music, painting, reading

GCF Salary

Post by Underpinner »

No idea but thanks for asking the question.

Presumably the standard way to get some indication is to look at comparable occupations. So who do we compare with? Hairdressers?

On the other hand (sorry to be a bore) if we do arrive at a consensus regarding salaries for GCFs, how do we ensure that it is accepted by employers?
John Williams
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Hi
A good question.
GCF is not a recognised academic/accredited qualification.

So yes, who do we compare ourselves with to get what could be called a fair salary?

Hairdressers are accredited
John GCF
markw

Post by markw »

You have to do the maths. Your new employee must cover his costs plus make some money for the business. A simple business plan would work out the potential amount of money that could be generated - giving you some idea of what your business can afford. One important factor that you mustn't forget are the hidden costs - Your time spent filling in PAYE forms etc.
The fact that we don't have a recognised qualification is very damning on our industry and its representation. We should be able to offer a modern apprenticeship - but the relevant government agencies don't see us as a legitimate industry.
beth

Post by beth »

What you pay depends on how much responsible you expect them to take on, the type of experience they have, lenght of time they have been a framers and they quality of their work. Having a framer who is GCF is nice but by no means makes them better than someone who isn’t. I have a part time staff with 18 years experience, can frame to a high standard, price complicated framing orders, deal with customers, can do ordering, knows the business inside out and completely trustworthy and I pay £11 per hour. I could disappear for a month and I know my business would continue as normal if my member of staff was able to work full time. This I believe is considered a high wage for a framer but well worth it for my member of staff.
But you need to decide how much your business can afford to pay, also location where living costs are higher you generally have to pay a higher wage.
I think the only way to know how much thay are worth is references and spending time working with them