How was December?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

How was December?

Post by Not your average framer »

We had a very good December. In fact it was one of the best Decembers for several years.

I've decided to ignore all the negative talk from the govenment and the media, so I'm currently revamping the shop, making changes to what I will be stocking, or displaying and just going for it, aiming to grow the business during 2012. Our accounts to last April showed good growth compared with the year before.

Stock changes will be key for 2012 and will include:

A larger range of Polcore mouldings, (we did well with Polcore this year).

Less ash and more oak mouldings, (oak is much more consistent in grain / quality and sells better for us, while sales of ash are dropping dramatically).

Bigger display area for hand finished mouldings, (we've seen a lot of growth in hand finished orders during this last year, partly due to due to replacing popular, but discontinued mouldings with hand finished equivalents). Although this was not part of any deliberate plan it has led me into new directions resulting some newer choices which have proved popular with the customers leading to more business.

I have been steadily reducing my volume of mountboard, both in terms of quantity and range of colours / manufacturers and this is set to continue.

At the same time, I have increased my range of backing boards, by reintroducing Brittannia's 5mm thick CombCor which I originally tried to manage without. It's not that cheap, but being without it has cost me both time and money.

I've probably learnt more about effective business management, (particularly including cashflow and stock control) during this past year, than during all the previous years in business.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Re: How was December?

Post by Graysalchemy »

Pretty poor even for a commercial framer. All commercial jobs finished at the end of November so not much after that. However the year has been very good, and I have a busy jan and feb forcasted. :D :D
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi Allister,

I've been following some of your tactics and reducing the range of items I keep in stock. It's made a big difference to cashflow and profit.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Hi Mark

Glad to see things are going well for you. I definitely think with a positive attitude and a serious look at how we do business we can all be more profitable which at the end of the day is what it is all about. I have seen a marked increase in work in the hospitality sector which to me signals that the economy is improving all be it slowly.

Glad to see you are getting a grip on your stock holding and improving your cash flow soon you will be only selling hayseed :giggle: :giggle: .

Alistair
Not your average framer

Graysalchemy wrote:soon you will be only selling hayseed
Now I'm getting worried! :shock:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

December was the best inc vat for 31 years. Hoping 2012 continues in the same vein. I've already got a few good jobs to do as soon as we get back on Tuesday.
penfold
Organisation: Phillips Framing
Interests: Restoring an old Land Rover, driving said landy and repairing it afterwards!

Post by penfold »

December didn't set the world alight, but it was a little more than acceptable on the Bespoke framing front. However, our readymades were going out the door faster than Richie could replace them!!! Not as much last minute work this year but I'm honestly not complaining about that.

The order book for January is quite healthy so I'm mildly optimistic about the new year.
Not your average framer

Devon has been hit rather hard during this recession. According to the local radio news, unemployment in Devon is up 12% compared to this time last year.

By my own reckoning something like about 60% of the framers in south Devon before the start of the recession have gone. Many were not exactly major players, but rent and rates increases together with pressure caused by falling sales and increased materials costs have caused different effects in different circumstances.

Strange as it may sound, some of us may have survived due to the demise of others and picking up some of the business which used to be theirs. In every direction from my location I have lost some of my local competitors. In most cases I would have thought they were solid and should be o.k., but obviously this was not the case!

I would hope that those of us still trading should find things a little easier from now on, as long as we are careful not to take un-neccessary risks.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Lets hope you are right Mark. Our December was roughly equivalent on turnover to last year but then we had two very large orders in December which were not there this time around. Volume of orders was much better and the forward book for January is also good.

The doom and gloom brigade (media) just can't help themselves in doing the economy down and the real world does not appear as bad as they say. We too have lost competitors which is doing us no harm at all so we are optimistic about 2012
Not your average framer

Eventually in a few years time, new businesses will start up to fill the opportunities left by the failure of those businesses which did not make it. I'm planning on being more than ready for when this happens and this is a principle reason why I am preparing to get a CMC.

I think that a CMC, my hand finishing activities and the ability to store finished mount designs on the computer, while waiting for mountboard deliveries all adds upto some serious capability to put any future start up competitors at a significant initial disadvantage. I'm planning for expansion!

As I have also decided to go for a jumbo sized CMC, I don't expect to be at any kind of disadvantage, to any other competitor. All things considered, I reckon that 2012 should be a good year for getting things into shape and planning for future success.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Yes the media did there utmost to fan recession after the last goverment and banks left is up the creek without the proverbial paddle. But remember it is the likes of us the small grafters which has pulled this country off its sorry arse not the media, the banks or Mr Osborne. Let's hope the media doesn't talk us into another recession.

As I said before the pub companies are starting to spend again the first time in two years so after all the hammering pubs have had this must be a positive sign.

If we have survived this long I think we should all be in a strong position when the good times return, we will be fitter leaner and have fewer competitors.

So here's to 2012.

Cheers
Not your average framer

Graysalchemy wrote:If we have survived this long I think we should all be in a strong position when the good times return, we will be fitter leaner and have fewer competitors.
And we are definately up for it!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Good for you Mark. :D

The media is full of doom-laden predictions at the moment. Heard it all before. The trouble is, people hear all the gloom and react accordingly. Hang on the their cash and stop spending quite so freely. The whole thing can become a self-fulfilling prophesy.
But the retail market adapts, as witness the cut-throat prices on everything today. Eventually things normalise to take account of prevailing conditions. It's not altogether a bad thing as companies that were frankly greedy in 'good' times are forced to be satisfied with making a reasonable profit rather than trying to rip everybody off the the maximum extent.
I think a lot of framing-based setups come unstuck because they have a very narrow range of services. It's good business to diversify as much as possible and have a spare strings to your bow. Lots of things are connected to framing but are substantially different market areas. Printing is a good example. There are framers who do photography. Photographers who do framing. If one side goes a bit slow, chances are the other side will bring home the bacon.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Figures for December are up on last year, in fact they have doubled :D order book is looking good for January as well. Future plans for 2012 is up-grading the CMC to cope with the extra work. Have just launched a new web site for more online sales, got quite a few sales from the original web site since Christmas, so extra orders of mount card to order first thing Tuesday morning when I get back into the shop.

Steve
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

We worked till about 10pm every night in December and then had a winter sun break, came back on 9th Jan. Dec was 50% busier than last year and like last year we had to turn work away, otherwise might have been able to double last year but we prefer to make sure we don't let anyone down, and get some sleep.

January we had stuff to come back to and kept 5 of us busy this week, fair bit of restocking and fixing machines etc. too in the aftermath. Hoping for a busy weekend as may start to get twiddly thumbs next week but we shall see. I feel I should have had an Xmas sale on the site for jan delivery rather than say we were closed for staff holidays. Last year we did a last minute spring fair stand for somebody else which kept me busy in January.

This year I think I'll get chance to properly promote the business and maybe get more commercial work in the door - also got a massive shrinkwrapper before Xmas. I've just bought a sales type car too and going to get a new brochure done. That takes time to do properly and maybe I have it - but it is a little unnerving as we took on new staff late last year. Just let one person go who wasn't quick enough at least which helps.

Personally I want my websites to grow the most as they are easier and better than trade customers to deal with for more money usually, but there is so much silly business out there on the retail printing front. The shop on main street york was doing buy 1 get 3 free on (very shoddy) canvases, til it just went bust. Tesco been doing them half price for most of past few months, new ventures (probably investor backed) been doing 7,000 canvases for £10 each on groupon just to build up customers and so on. Mainly crap but still damaging.

I'm glad in those times we have 3 skilled framers who can do the quality work alongside. And I'm glad I've always stuck my neck out to keep our quality and value high.

Seasonality is becoming a problem as we try to grow, or keep up with year round demand. I'm toying with the idea of putting staff on longer term contracts whereby they work short weeks in jan/feb and long weeks in nov/dec. Maybe build in some longer notice periods mutually to help increase security but retain flexibility for both. Me or my partner could probably get another job 10 months of year at least now but not enough staff/training yet to cover each others holidays completely. So instead we may as well try and push on...
Not your average framer

In the aftermath of December, I'm busy having a bit of a refit and sharpening up my act.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer