What Market Research?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
PSS
Organisation: Pretoria
Interests: Still-life, landscape and seascape painting in oil, start-up custom framing business.

What Market Research?

Post by PSS »

I am about to invest in all the equipment necessary to produce custom handcrafted frames from bare wood plank stage, with emphasis on gilding/paint combinations. This type of frame is almost non-existent in this country as far as I can tell. How can I be sure that there will be a market for such work? What kind of market research do I need to do - make up a number of samples and take them around? :?: What suggestions are there? Can one assume that there will be a market based on what is happening in other parts of the globe like the UK, US, etc.? Comments please. :?
Pieter Swanepoel
My status
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: What Market Research?

Post by Not your average framer »

If you believe in your product and can make some prototypes without commiting yourself to buying expensive equipment until later, then why make a few and sell if you can sell them. That's one way of doing your market research!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

It will always be tough if you are the 'trailblazer' for a new product in a market place that does not know it needs your product.

However, the ease at which people can now travel around the world, both physically (cheap air travel) and virtually (with the aid of their internet browser) has speeded up the introduction of existing products into new markets generally. Just look at the luxury goods market in China for example.

I have no idea what the market for picture framing is like in South Africa, but if you are right that your products would be very different to the norm, then I think your market research should focus on identifying if there are enough sophisticated,wealthy, ex-pats and world-travellers who are already familiar with the type of high end product that you have in mind to sustain your business to start with.
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

You may have done this already but I would visit as many high end or fine art galleries as possible, to look at the existing styles of framing. Are you looking to sell to galleries, artists, or the public? While a specific style or type of frame may not be used, I would be very surprised if their are not existing companies that serve the high end of the market, so they could make such frames if required. Maybe even some galleries have their own framing production.

An artist I do work for, (making both pre-finished, painted and water gilded/painted frames) has an exhibition in South Africa at the moment, so maybe some of my frames are on display there!

I would imagine the art market is similar to the rest of the world, so if the style you have in mind is popular elsewhere and nobody is doing it already, then it would appeal to art buyers. Letting these buyers know about your framers would be the key, and working with a gallery (by framing work for them) would be one way to do this.
PSS
Interests: Still-life, landscape and seascape painting in oil, start-up custom framing business.

Post by PSS »

Thank you Mark, JIm & Richard - much appreciated.

The 'ready-to-use' moulding/framing business in SA is very much alive and well. It is only the hand crafted/finished type of frames that are almost non-existent, at least where I have searched for them. I might make up few samples and people might say they like it but who says they are going to buy them once I start producing and prices have been established?

I am convinced the reason water gilded/painted frames are not available in South Africa is because the bare wood mouldings are not available and there are far too few frames who are willing to cut and shape their own material. I was told by an art materials dealer that I won't be able to make the frames because of the tight control over the availability of the mouldings. But I have established my plan (in response to some of the input from this forum) to cut and shape my own.

I would like to sell to anyone really but if it turns out in the end that I serve only say galleries, that won't be a problem. As long as there are a number of them because having all my eggs in one basket is never a good aidea. I think I will start by visiting as many galleries as possible now and try and determine the type of frames they fancy, as you suggested Richard. I'll keep you guys posted. Thank you for the input!

Richard, is it possible to let me know who the artist is exhibiting in SA at the moment. It might be close to me and I would certainly make an effort to go and see it.
Pieter Swanepoel
My status
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

Pieter, sent you a PM with name of gallery and artist :D
PSS

Post by PSS »

Thank you Richard, I have replied to your pm.

Best regards,

Pieter
Pieter Swanepoel
My status
PSS

Post by PSS »

Richard, I see the pm still shows in my Out Box. Is that normal, if nothow do I get it going? I have submitted it.

Regards
Pieter Swanepoel
My status
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

PSS it just sits in the out box untill it is read

Ian
PSS

Post by PSS »

Thanks Ian. There I learnt something new!

Regards,

Pieter
Pieter Swanepoel
My status
framemaker

Post by framemaker »

framemaker wrote:An artist I do work for, (making both pre-finished, painted and water gilded/painted frames) has an exhibition in South Africa at the moment, so maybe some of my frames are on display there!
Just found out from the artist that all 25 oils on canvas were sent out and hung in the gallery unframed! :(
I can understand from a shipping point of view, but I hope this is not a sign of the framing trends in South Africa! :?
PSS

Post by PSS »

To me it doesn't look like the trend in general to hang unframed works. Is it not maybe the circumstances like the shipping, being in aid of another organisation, etc, that dictated the decision in this case?

I visited my favourite holiday town over December. This place is currently a booming 'artists' colony'. It is quite a small town but has about 15 galleries with lots more around it. There are very few unframed works hanging in them. No, I think framing is very much in, I just hope that there will be a need for what I intend to make. :sweating:
Pieter Swanepoel
My status