Yellow Pages FATG Advertising

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Jonny2morsos
Organisation: Northborough Framing
Interests: Fly Fishing, Photography and Real Ale.

Yellow Pages FATG Advertising

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I know Yellow Pages has been discussed here before and I realise it is a very much reduced publication compared with some years ago and that Google has taken over as consumers method of searching for businesses.

But, as a FATG member I can go into their section along with other FATG members locally for £106 + VAT for a year. It is subsidised from membership revenue.

Any one with any experience out there who may be able to tell me if it could be worthwhile?
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Re: Yellow Pages FATG Advertising

Post by Framie »

Had them on the phone this morning to John but offered me £115 + vat :evil: .

Not sure if anyone even keeps the book any more let alone pick the book up and use it. Google is much easier.

I kindly turned it down as my target market is the UK internet.
Anything Framed
Gesso&Bole
Organisation: Jeremy Anderson Picture Frame Maker
Interests: Framing pictures, testing out the latest gismos, and sharing picture framing knowledge

Post by Gesso&Bole »

Yes, it is a much reduced book, and I would put more emphasis on the internet . .. . . . but at £2 per week It has got to be worth it
Jeremy (Jim) Anderson
Picture Framer and Framing Industry Educator
https://www.jeremyanderson.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/ja_picture_framer/
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

As long as we are coming near the top of the Google search with something like - picture framer belfast - I'm happy enough with that, though we do maintain a small presence on the YP, probably for historical reasons as much as anything.

We have three years of Yellow Pages under the counter that have never been out of the plastic sleeves they were delivered in. I'm not sure if that is typical, but one or two other people I've asked tell me that they are the same.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
FrameOn
Organisation: Frame On
Interests: Mountain Biking, picture framing & digital prints, photography

Post by FrameOn »

The only customer I have had that I definitely know came via yellow pages was a holiday home owner who was down to get ready for the season and had knocked a picture off the wall. Yellow pages was all they had available to find someone to reframe it.

I do have an entry on yell.com and Thompson local which I think are worthwhile as they drive potential customers to the website.

Richard
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

I can't remember when I last opened a Yellow Pages which is what prompted my question. I Google everything but there are still some people, especially the older generation, without computers hence my interest.
mikeysaling
Organisation: sarah jane framing
Interests: astronomy medals photography

Post by mikeysaling »

yellow and thompson get recycled immediately !!
when all is said and done - there is more said than done.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've never paid for an advert in Yellow Pages. I used to get an automatic free single line entry, but now you have to pay and I don't think it's worth paying for. Now so few businesses are in it, I think it lacks credibility.

Most, if no all of the local businesses are in the Thompson Local, so that's the one with the credibility. Like everyone else, I've got my free single entry and my thanks very much to those nice people at Thompson.

If I was planning on advertising in one of them, it would have to be the Thompson local, because everyone is in there. The general public have already discovered this and therefore use the Thompson Local in preference to Yellow Pages.

Yellow Pages have cut their own throats, by stopping the free single line entries. Not the smart move!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

yellow and thompson get recycled immediately !!
Nice to see you back onboard mikeysaling. :clap: :clap: It's been a while. I, at least, have missed seeing your posts
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I agree with most that I don't think the book is used as much these days.
That said, I have a free listing on yell.com as I still think they have a decent reputation.
You can customise the listing with pictures and videos and opening times etc which then makes you stand out.
Be prepared for a sales call though from someone wanting you to take out a feature ad.
yasminfrench
Organisation: PhotoWonder
Interests: Photography, art, reading, and climbing

Post by yasminfrench »

If it helps some, I am one of those who still looks up Yellow Pages. Not so much the printed book, but I use the website. If I'm going to an area looking for a specific type of service or looking to get quotes from several different local businesses for something, I do find it a good resource to look up legitimate businesses easily and quickly with a good database. I prefer to look for established businesses in general, maybe it's just personal experience but I've found that businesses listed in Yell tend to be longer established, are more experienced, and offer better service.
I'm sure I'm not the only person with the same mindset. :)
kev@frames
Organisation: Moonshine Framing Penzance
Interests: 4 or 5 ...

Post by kev@frames »

yell.com (online yellow pages) is free.
I would not recommend throwing away any money at all on the yellow pages book.

yes we have had listings in there, yes we have also had fatg group listings in there, it never really was worthwhile at all.

in all fairness to them, the yellow pages book has just been overtaken by other directory methods - eg online yell.com, and general search engines, and yell.com is fine, but even then, it is merely just one of several decent resources people can use.

I agree with Mark about Thompson Local. If you are thinking about using any, that ought to be the first to investigate.
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

They rang me back today and I declined their offer.

I will take the risk of not attracting the non Google savvy dinosaurs.
Louise Hay
Organisation: Fine Art Trade Guild
Interests: Art, Framing, Glass blowing, Ceramics, Cooking (& eating!), Making stuff, Brixton Community Base

Post by Louise Hay »

The affinity scheme man from Yellow Pages popped by the Guild office to meet our new Membership Secretary this week.
What I didn't know is that they charge different rates around the country, based on density of population OR that people who take paid-for lisings in Yellow Pages get priority results on Yell.com.
We do have a similar programme with Thompson Local - if you log in on the Guild site and go here you'll find the info http://www.fineart.co.uk/MyGuild_Site/T ... ising.aspx (or drop Daniel an email on Membership@fineart.co.uk)
Louise
Louise Hay, CEO Fine Art Trade Guild
louise@fineart.co.uk
Jonny2morsos

Post by Jonny2morsos »

Did seem strange that Framie who is a few miles from me was quoted a higher price despite my being told it was a special rate for FATG members. Had we both accepted we would have been in the same edition with the same target audience.

I got the impression they plucked a figure from the air.