Lack Lustre WiFi at home ? Try this : )

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Lack Lustre WiFi at home ? Try this : )

Post by Bagpuss »

I was having problems with my WiFi router at home, it sits in my front room next to the TV, suppilied by Virgin Media, it was their 20Mb package. My laptop and PC is now based in a small office area behind the Workshop, the WiFi just wasn't reaching, kept cutting out.

I got in touch with Virgin Media about getting their "SuperHub", well they fitted it for me and upgraded me to a 100Mb package for very little extra a month but still because where my office was in relation to the Superhub it just wasn't connecting. I called the engineer out again to relocate the WiFi to the office. Well I am pleased he came round, he suggested an alternative without him relocating it, it was the following;
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-dl ... fAodQElsig

All you do is plug one into your mains and connect ethernet to your wifi router, you then plug another into the mains next to your PC at the back of the house, again connect by Ethernet cable. It uses your mains supply as a mini network and you get a home network, you can add other PCs around the house, i'm going to buy a couple more. Now I'm effectively plugged into the WiFi router via an ethernet cable, even though the router is in the front room and I'm out the back :clap: Performance is incredible.

I had heard about these before but never investigated,if you have a similar problem and want a fast reliable internet connection I can't recommend this highly enough, it took about 5 mins to setup, the only thing to remember is don't plug it into a socket/4 gang with a power surge protector thingy on it.

cheers,
Adam/Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
allyblue1
Organisation: Skene Framing
Interests: Framing, Reading, Sport,

Re: Lack Lustre WiFi at home ? Try this : )

Post by allyblue1 »

I think you have also just solved my problems with my WiFi. My workshop is about 20 meters from my house, some days I get online from the workshop no bother and other days no signal. I will make a trip to PC world this weekend.

Thanks for sharing the info.
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Post by Bagpuss »

Let us know how you get on,I watched a documentary on iplayer last night, no interuptions at all :D
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have a WiFi connection between the router in my home and my shop which is in the building next door, both buildings are very old and appear to be made mostly of granite. It does work, but I have to have the router on an inside window ledge in my flat to get a "line of sight" between the router and the back window to the shop.

When I've got the dosh to spare, I'm getting an two ethernet cables installed to get more speed. I would be delighted if I could use the mains powerline ethernet method to solve my problem, but adjacent buildings are normally on different mains electricity wiring phases. Even if they were both connected to the same electricity phase, I'm doubtful if the ethernet signal can pass through the filters in the electricity meters.

Unfortunately, I think that I'm still stuck with paying a lot more dosh and getting the ethernet cables installed.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer