Pricing for mirrors?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Pricing for mirrors?

Post by RobynPlater »

Thinking of adding mirrors as an extra form of revenue but am not sure what sort of markup is normal. Any advice?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Pricing for mirrors?

Post by Not your average framer »

My business is based in a small to medium sized rural market town and passing foot traffic for selling impulse type items is not always as one might hope. Over the years I have tried various strategies for selling mirrors and to be honest I don't think that there is a one "size fits all" winning strategy, but I make up mirrors to sell on a regular basis and by keeping the price tempting I sell enough to make it worth doing.

For made to order mirrors you can charge a very good mark up, but if you are selling mirrors from stock then you may have to complete with prices from any local discount stores to achieve any significant volume of sales. I find it is important to keep a tight control of my materials costs and I have various ways of doing this.

For some mirrors I buy a 4ft x 3ft sheet of 4mm silvered float which I cut to size to make a number of mirrors. The cost of silvered float can be very reasonable and this can sometimes be an interesting way of using up mouldings which have been in stock too long and are now slow to sell. At first I thought that plain mirror glass would be a barrier to sales, but experience has shown otherwise.

Another business I know, invites me to take away unwanted old mirrors on a regular basis. It's usually a mix of bevelled and plain mirrors. Generally I reframe these and sell the better ones in my shop. The tatty ones I sell by auction, etc., for whatever they will go for. Some mirrors have damaged areas and sometimes need to be cut down accordingly before use, but it's very rare that a mirror fails to sell in an auction.

It's surprising how many perfectly good frames I get given, either by customers who are have something reframed and don't want the old frame, or even people who wander in of the street and ask if they can give me an unwanted old frame. Anything I don't want goes to the local charity shop, but some frames get converted into mirrors. As most on the forum will already know, I'm into handfinishing some older frames only need a very quick basic "shabby chic" finish to make a easy to sell framed mirror.

If you are not greedy when it comes to pricing and can keep a good control of your costs, your mirror sales should be reasonably steady like mine and generate some useful extra income.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Houseware stores and DIY sheds sell mirrors. It's an idea to go and check what they have and make sure you don't use the same moulding. They typically sell 30x20ish mirrors in around the £40-60 bracket.
To my mind, it isn't worth the effort trying to compete. Their mirrors are done on a production line. It's worth pitching a bit more high-end and selling something that no-one else has. Keep your eye open for bargain disco'd moulding that will make good mirrors.
Also, using bevelled glass adds a lot to your costs. 3mm mirror by the sheet is as cheap as chips. Buying bevelled mirrors ties a lot of cash up, and you will generally get too many scratched ones.
Bevelled mirrors are very '80s IMHO. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
RobynPlater
Organisation: None
Interests: Framing

Post by RobynPlater »

You have both provided me with some very good advice. Some I had considered and some that I hadn't. Personally I'm not adverse to the odd bevelled mirror, but you are both right in that using Silvered Float will definitely assist in keeping my costs down.

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond with such detailed advice.

Cheers
Robyn
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Mirrors can be the perfect way to recover the cash tied up in mouldings which we find we can no longer sell for normal framing orders and it is surprising how a piece of silvered mirror float will transform the acceptabilty of many "dead stock" mouldings.

Moulding width can be an important factor for mirrors, but it is often a simple matter to stack mouldings to increase the overall width to something more appropiate.

It is worth noting that a normal 3 ft x 4 ft sheet of silvered float is easily cut into two 20" x 24" mirrors and two 16" x 24" Mirrors. Not only are these sizes very easy to sell, but there is no wastage to consider.

A 20" x 24" mirror is a fairly efficient way of using any unwanted 3 metre (10 ft) length of moulding up to about 2" wide and a 20" x 16" mirror is a fairly efficient way of using any unwanted 2.4 metres (8 ft) length of moulding, also up to about 2" wide.

I also sell mirrors made up with reclaimed mirrors or reclaimed silvered float in auction sale rooms and I have found it most helpful to make up matching pairs of long thin mirrors (his and her's for bedrooms), or even sets of three or four when making up mirrors from smaller pieces of silvered float.

It is a fact that pairs and sets generate a good level of interest in auctions and as this can increase the number of bidders for that item. For many potential buyers, finding that others are bidding on the same item can reassure them that the items is worth bidding for, which in term can lead to better prices.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer