Why aren't my web visitors calling me?!?

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
CalicoFraming
Organisation: Calico Framing
Interests: Picture framing, fine art

Why aren't my web visitors calling me?!?

Post by CalicoFraming »

I get around 30 unique visitors to my website each day, and I'm pretty visible on google, but I'm just not getting any calls (no more than a couple a month, anyway)

People say they like the way the website looks, so what's the problem? Is it the tone I've used? The overall impression? Am I not getting key messages across? Is something missing?

Any suggestions gratefully received
:sweating:

www.calicoframing.co.uk
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Why aren't my web visitors calling me?!?

Post by GeoSpectrum »

You are not alone, my website on its own doesn't generate very much. Do you have other ways of reaching your customers? Yell.com and the local press or free trade magazines? Most of my customers come from the local free magazine or Yellow pages/Yell.com.

The current economic climate is not helping either.

On a related issue I was using Google Addwords which generated a lot of hits but very little response as most visitors to the site seemed to be casual browsers from all over the place, and not presumably looking for the frames I offer via the on-line store. It was an expensive way of attracting time wasters!

Do you use Google Analytics? That might help you see exactly what people are searching for, what pages they view and how long they stay on a particular pages.

Or it mayby nobody is spending money on framing at the moment...
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
guzzijim
Organisation: Dumfries & Galloway
Interests: Photography, Colour Management, Sea Fishing

Post by guzzijim »

Maybe it's because you're working from a flat or that's what I perceive, parking sounds as if it could be easier.

Private house with drive and workshop, website showing the ease of parking and range of samples available.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Planners may have somethimg to say about customer parking in residential areas - or some NIMBY might make sure they do. I probably would.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Hi David, sounds to me like you are doing pretty well.

Your 30 unique hits per day does not necessarily translate to anything like 30 sentient human beings, but even if were true, it would mean that about 1 in 450 of your visitors are taking the trouble to contact you - not such a bad result.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

On first glance your website looks great.
I agree that that's not a bad ratio for web visitors to customers. At least some of the visitors will be us framers checking out your site to see if after previous posts about what it looked like, and in response to this post.
And that not having a dedicated shop for people to visit will certainly be a factor, although the selling point of pick up and delivery should mitigate some of that. I have a similar business model which I do part time, and I get around 200 visits per month to website, and around 4 or 5 per month come calling.
I do web design as well as framing, and I can give you some pointers for getting a more detailed analysis of your web visitors, e.g. I can tell you where everyone lives (within reason) that has visited my webpage, which search engine they use, what their computer operating system is, which page linked them to my website, how long they spend on the page etc etc. PM me if you want some more info.
All of this info is useful for pinpointing any issues and fine tuning a website further.
Mary
Organisation: Portra
Interests: painting

Post by Mary »

I think a pic of your workshop would be a helpful addition, so people can easily see they are dealing with a professional framer and not someone nailing bits of wood together at the kitchen table.
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

I recently started using Google Analytics and was surprised to see that about 25% of the visitors to my site were in the States.
FrameOn
Organisation: Frame On
Interests: Mountain Biking, picture framing & digital prints, photography

Post by FrameOn »

Perhaps you should offer an incentive on your home page. Maybe: 20% off first order; buy one frame get the next 1/2 price; Free 6x4 photo frame with first order, etc.

If your web site is your shop window then you should realy do what shops do to get people through the door in the way of incentives.

Richard
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Thanks for all the responses, some interesting views here. Will have to reflect a little on what to do next...

:D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would not panic, or worry about adding incentives to make web visitors respond with an order.

Your webpage is just like a shop window. It's telling people that you are there and what you do. I have a shop with two shop windows and people who are passing often stop and look in the window, but most just look and continue down the road to their intended destination.

This does not mean that the shop window has not done it's job, but it may mean that they don't need anything framing just right now. Try not to be seen as trying too hard, as it can suggest that you are desparate for business. Customers are interested in taking their framing to someone who appears to be a success, not someone who is desperate.

How long has the website been up, running and complete? Also how does your website compare with local competitors websites? Some websites have visitor counters which appear on their web page, so if you visit once per week, you see how much traffic they are getting as well.

Neither websites, or shop windows produce instant results. It's a process! The website tells people that you are there. Your first customers tell their friends and their friends remember you when they need something framed.

Local business is always about "word of mouth" and when people like what you do for them, or what they hear from satisfied customers, then you business will begin to grow and the process has started.

Are you doing anything to get to know more people in your loacal area? A lot of successful business people belong to local organisations, etc. It all helps you to build your customer base!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

I'm feeling a little less anxious about the matter having read everyone's replies. I installed Google Analytics and my 'bounce rate' (ie. people visiting the site then immediately leaving) isn't bad, so people are arriving and staying to have a look around, which is something.

I think NYAF is right. My experience so far is that my keenest customers are the people I've met personally for one reason or another. My impression is that not only are they keen to give their framing work to me, their chum, but also are finding things to frame which otherwise would never have made it to a framing shop. So this week I went along to the local art society, got introduced to their members, gave out a load of business cards and have been invited to do an hour's presentation on framing in March. All of which, I hope, will add up to some new custom.

Word of mouth, I'm not sure of yet. I can't honestly think of any of my customers who arrived having heard about me from a friend. But then it's still early days.

And I also had some very thorough feedback from a new customer who'd read the website from cover to cover, and it seems the messages I've been keen to put out there are getting through, which is good news. Will just have to have a little faith and hold my nerve!

Thanks for all your responses
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's a bit like handing out business cards at a 'do'. People will take them, but rarely respond immediately. They might wait years, but they will remember.......
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

What else are you doing to get business besides relying upon the website?

You could always add an extra string to your bow! How about leafleting your local area? Make you own leaflets and save money. Don't use an inkjet printer though, it's an expensive way of printing things!

I have two laser printers (one in my shop and one in my home). You can buy a brand new laser printer for about £70. My latest one is a HP P1102 and I think it was £69 + VAT with free delivery. It prints loads of pages for next to nothing. Ordinary budget white photocopying paper is good enough for leaflets.

Keep it simple and keep it cheap! :wink:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

It is also possible to bribe your local postman to drop em off with letters, but you didn't get that from me, shhhhhhh
JamesC
Organisation: The Framed Picture Company
Interests: Printing and Framing, Canvas Prints, Perspex Mounting, Graphic Design, Football, Tennis, Golf, Computers, Film, Antiques, Mountain Biking, Bass Guitar, Music, Art, Mensa

Post by JamesC »

"and a frame which has been given individual with care and attention"

You seem to have made a careless mistake in the sentence where you are describing your care and attention which may put some people off.

Otherwise your site is quite nice looking compared to most of the competition.

A chunk of your traffic may be looking for your local competition or information on calico or doing their own diy framing.

Your homepage flash is a bit boring and takes too long to get going in a slightly frustrating way. You are clearly proud of your seamless black gessoed corner but it's a bit dull for the non-framer (who may prefer a nice whole frame that shows off a picture to its max) and the text on the left would be more exciting if it linked to something - even if it's just your about page - it looks like a menu. Then make the site more snappy with the key selling points more obvious, not buried in reems of text.

Framing and art is very hard to sell online but if you get 2 regular busy artists finding you per year, it will all be worth it. Provided they are of the variety that either command a price or appreciate the framing.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Good feedback from JamesC, as a whole I like the site though - you have done some very nice stuff and your gallery section shows that you do take care and consideration. Good things come to all who wait (someone once said)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I echo some of what JamesC has said, the text on the left look's like it should be page links, and I have been trying to click on them so I would imagine a lot of visitors to you site trying to find out more about STRETCHED CANVAS, NEEDLEWORK and MEMORABILIA etc.
The majority of your customer quotes on your slide show are from artists so you might be putting off non artist customers who might need some holiday photos framed or a grandchild's painting framed.
Also get yourself on Google maps, and perhaps have a map on your contact page, it will help customers find where you are before coming to you.

Don't get down hearted, it all takes time
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
CalicoFraming

Post by CalicoFraming »

Haven't been on the forum for a bit and only just noticed the responses from James and others. Thanks for all this, really useful advice, and thanks particular to James for the heads-up about the 'individual the care and attention'. Wow, what a howler. You saved my future blushes there