Selling Online

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Ryan Montgomery
Organisation: None
Interests: Photography

Selling Online

Post by Ryan Montgomery »

I'm currently revamping my website and was wondering how many of you sell online?

I do have other online shops so I'm well versed in the regulations as far as returns are concerned but I'm wondering if framing is something that lends itself well to online sales.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Selling Online

Post by Steve N »

Don't be shy, put a link to your site, so we can have a peek
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Ryan Montgomery

It's early stages yet, I'm re building the whole thing so I've quite a bit to do. I'll post a link when there is something to see.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

There is always something to see
Attachments
matrix1.jpeg
matrix1.jpeg (260.62 KiB) Viewed 15027 times
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

I'd just be concerned with stuff getting damaged, I've found most couriers won't accept glass. I'd like to hear how you get on though :)
Ryan Montgomery

I've so much more to add other than products but a shell with 2 frames is here: www.craftedframes.com

I send out frames by post quite a bit for clients an I use perspex. I've yet to have any damages.
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Ryan Montgomery wrote: I'm wondering if framing is something that lends itself well to online sales.
I heard at Spring Fair that one UK distributors biggest customer ONLY sells on line.

There's your answer.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
prospero

Post by prospero »

Wot if you ent got a 'puter? :cry:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
misterdiy
Organisation: Decormount
Interests: Picture framing, mount-cutting, photoshop et al

Post by misterdiy »

Youm F***** :rock:
Ryan Montgomery

Well, it's worth a try then. It's costing me nothing other than the time it takes to put all the products on.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Personally I would not do hand finishes as online sales, as it's a very personal taste, you could end up with a lot of returns saying it's not what they expected. I would just stick with black, white, gold, natural wood, and a few colours maybe.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Ryan,

Generally speaking, bespoke framing does NOT lend itself to online sales. Yes, I am aware of some exceptions, but for the most part, most Internet based sales are mounts and pre-finished, simpler frames. The choice process, What-you-see-is-not-what-you-get, shipping and packaging expenses will all hinder this process. When you factor in the naive nature of many online buyers, this also contributes to non-success.

However as I mentioned, a number of bespoke framers have successfully sold mounts online (although again, substantially less expensive than a store front might retail them for.) I have also found success in selling photo frames and artwork online. We've had an online presence since 2001 and sell 25% of our gross sales online. However the majority of these items are Christmas Collectibles and Home Decor. We're a single shop location but large enough to have the real estate available to do this kind of business.

The best of luck to you.

When Steve N asked you to share your online website... I believe he meant your other businesses. Selling framed art online is NOT just loading the product to your website. Proper packaging and shipping is another key incredient that can make or break the deal.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
Ryan Montgomery

Thanks for the reply John,

It's going to be a while before it's up and running, we made the decision to go 100% hand finished as those sales were far outweighing the finished mouldings and it's so much easier to stock!

We supply some photographers and we do post frames to them without any issues so far and it was mainly the photographers that were showing an intrest in an online shop saving them a trip down to see our range. It's still more of a hobby than anything, something to do in the quiet winter months but it would be nice to see it grow.

Anything is worth a try!
suzidemello
Organisation: newbi
Interests: arts and artists, travelling

Post by suzidemello »

I totally agree with John

I also wish best of luck to Ryan for his future.

I am in the same business though, you are welcome to ask for any help regarding sales of custom framing and artworks.

Here is the website link if you need a reference.

http://www.paintboxartandframing.com
Custom art and framing artworks by Ed Heck, Jane Waterouse, Micheal Magill at Paint Box Art And Framing
FFrames
Organisation: TBD
Interests: Art

Post by FFrames »

I'm in the process of getting a website built at the moment, and am anticipating that 80%+ of our business will come from online orders. All of the frames and other products available will be printed by ourselves though! Whilst we will be offering a walk in service for framing artwork, I won't be offering this as something you can buy directly online... I don't think it's possible really :)

However as we will also be selling limited edition prints, I think we will offer those for sale on our website, with the choice of various mounts and frames if they wanted that also.

The hardest part about the website is building the preview/frame builder software. I think without it, it would be extremely difficult to get any sales at all... The customer has gort to have the confidence to know exactly wht they're buying!

If the majority of your business is framing artwork, I would probabbly steer away from online sales and focus on using the website to showcase your products and services and drive customers to your actual business.

Heres a couple of london based framers I've been looking at that have a good website, but dont sell online.

http://www.dysonart.com/index.shtml
http://pauliframes.com/
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

We now sell online through 2 websites of our own and have also been on Amazon for some time

It's not the only solution, but it is easier for people to be able to Google you and then buy online at their own convenience.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

We have just dipped our toe into online retail again, we are using shopify : http://shopify.com/?friend=haveitframed combined with a new online till system - VEND to sell products online and in store without the faff of having to update stock manually between the two systems. initial indications are good, and we are experiencing good site traffic with a little less than a month online. when an item sells instore the stock is updated online and when an item is sold online the stock is updated in store.

http://www.haveitframed.co.uk