What bugs you?

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
kevin
Organisation: picture framing services
Interests: framing, photography, table tennis

Re: What bugs you?

Post by kevin »

Stick to a valiana, lads, best there is
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Is that in your honest opinion or fact?

I bet every manufacturer of mount cutters would say the same about their own.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

just putting in a word for my Gunnar. Superb (but each to their own).
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Dan_LCT
Organisation: LCT Interior Solutions
Interests: Picture Frames and loud guitars

Post by Dan_LCT »

We have the Valiani Matt pro ultra and it really is an awesome bit of kit! The only thing that bugs me is the teething problems at the start with setting it up and getting used to it. But that was to be expected as i've been working with manual mount cutters for the past 5 years so it was a big change typing information on a keyboard rather than drawing/cutting manually. We've only had the machine for about 4 weeks now and I'd never look back.

For example, I had a 22 window double multimount to do the first week we had the machine. It took me around 15-20mins to input the info into the computer and about 3-4mins max to cut. If I was to draw it all out by hand, (which i have been doing in the past) it would have took me the best part of a day. what I loved most was the fact I could trial cutting the multimount out on pulp board first to see if everything worked out fine before committing to using mountcard.

We've got a tiny workshop and always thought we'd never have the space for one. Now its installed, that idea has gone right out the window.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

does it not get wet hanging out the window?
kevin
Organisation: picture framing services
Interests: framing, photography, table tennis

Post by kevin »

Graysalchemy wrote:Is that in your honest opinion or fact?

I bet every manufacturer of mount cutters would say the same about their own.
I have valiani and wizard , used to have Gunnar , started with trucut. All are/were good m/c,s. I just got best results from valiani .? Hope to upgrade 2015. Will be a valiani. I do not have any connections to any manufacturer. My opinion based on my experience. 1st valiani 2nd Gunnar 3rd trucut. 4th wizard. Very little between them.
Dan_LCT
Organisation: LCT Interior Solutions
Interests: Picture Frames and loud guitars

Post by Dan_LCT »

IFGL wrote:does it not get wet hanging out the window?
Depends on the weather mate
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How do the machines compare on reliablity and standard of maintainance support? I would have assumed that there would be little difference between any of them, but perhaps still a good question to ask.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Having started this thread I thought it only polite to give an update!

I toured the county and saw a Valiani, Wizard, Trucut and a Gunnar in action, many thanks to everyone for you time. My 2 days sightseeing around Cornwall confirmed that any of these 4 would do a great job for me, and I can see why there are fans for each manufacturer.

In the end I opted for the Gunnar F1 Hybrid, and thus far am very pleased. As you can see I am very tight on space, not really room for an extra "brain" computer so the one attached to the underside for the Gunnar was a big plus for me. My other thought was that the hybrid head will possibly help to eliminate user errors with changing heads etc but to date I cannot say if this is the case as I have not dared let anyone else use it!!
20150222_161902.jpg
20150222_161902.jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 8185 times
20150222_162001.jpg
20150222_162001.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 8185 times
I have had to place the PC to the right of the machine, not ideal but am now in the habit of getting over to the red button pretty quick just in case! Just to ease Sarah's nerves we put the PC on the corner of the work beach for the setup and demonstration, glad I went for a Dell all in one - much easier to move about and it has a touch screen as well.

So there we are, my big luxury is now in place and I hope that the hair I lost through the head scratching whilst arriving at my decision will soon regrow. :D Thanks very much to those who took time to contribute to the thread, it is very much appreciated.