Wanted - 5 wheel piercing tool

Buying/selling equipment
Situations wanted/vacant
Forum rules
All sellers are required to have a forum profile that identifies them clearly. (Such as - name, surname, location, business name et cetera)
Hannahframer
Organisation: Framed@Hannah's
Interests: Picture framing, photography, playing piano & guitar (not at the same time!), reading, walking

Wanted - 5 wheel piercing tool

Post by Hannahframer »

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a 5 wheel piercing tool, that you use for perforating heat activated mount films, that is no longer requuired? Having "inherited" a Hot Press with assorted films I find that I'm missing the piercing tool. They're an arm and a leg to buy so a second hand one would really be a great help.

Thanks.
"Industry without art is brutality." - John Ruskin.
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Re: Wanted - 5 wheel piercing tool

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I have not had a need to use a piercing roller yet. On the few occasions that I have used film the needed piercing I did it manually with a knife. One supplier suggested that I check out a kitchen shop for something like this

http://www.meilleurduchef.com/cgi/mdc/l ... ocker.html

as they are much cheaper, but have not really looked into it as yet. Let me know if you do and it works!
Tyto
Organisation: Wild Norfolk
Interests: Photography

Post by Tyto »

Hi
What films do you expect to use and what substrate are you putting them onto? You may not need a piercing tool but I do agree they are silly money for what they are.
You will only need one if you use films that are not pre-pieced by the manufacturer (these usually have a release paper on both sides) and then only if you are applying them to a non porous surface.
When I use dry mount film-clear on magnetic sheet to make fridge magnets I pierce the film to stop air bubbles getting trapped between the film and the magnetic sheet but when I put the same film onto MDF I don't bother to pierce as the air can escape though the board.
So if you are only using pre-pierced films or you are putting them on a breathable substrate you should be ok without the piercing tool.
Hope this helps
Peter
sisters
Organisation: hereford
Interests: ummmmm picture framing !

Post by sisters »

I may well have one lurking in my workshop , but as i remember it is no longer a 5 wheel !!! but should still do the job, if i can find it you are welcome to it.
Chrissie and Steve
Organisation: Aspects Picture Framing
Interests: Reading, films, keeping fit

Post by Chrissie and Steve »

Hi

Are you still looking for this tool....I have one in the box...hardly used

Cheers Steve