Cutting MDF

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Cutting MDF

Post by Smiffy »

Morning all!

We're having a play with 6mm MDF for use as the backing board for medal frames. Only problem is out Excalibur 5000 only cuts up to 4mm. Is there any other neat and tidy way of us cutting it without the need for a bench saw or anything?

Lame question I guess!

Thanks
Glimpse

Re: Cutting MDF

Post by Glimpse »

I use a Makita rip saw and a cutting guide made from a length of laminate flooring.
Measure up and clamp the cutting guide on with ratchet clamps and away you go. The blade on rip-saws is usually a round-number away from the guide (say 100mm), so you just subtract that when you mark up.
Very accurate and simple, but it's a job for outside due to the amount of dust. But you're not going to find a dust-free way of cutting 6mm MDF!
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

This may seem like a lame answer to your lame question :wink: but when you weigh up the dust problem when sawing mdf and the fact you can cut up to 4mm dust free, could you not just glue two 3mm sheets together?
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

You are going to need a circular saw. At best a hand held circular saw is not going to be the most accurate of cuts even with a guide, well mine doesn't. I get mine cut at B&Q but then I usually have enough to use a full sheet.

Why do you want to use 6mm mdf?
Smiffy
Organisation: Frame
Interests: Wood, glass & v-nails

Post by Smiffy »

Thanks everyone!

Like the 2 sheets of 3mm stuck together, sometimes the most simple is the most effective!