No excuses for this!

Post examples...
Of framing styles or techniques that rocked your boat, and also of those that didn't
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

No excuses for this!

Post by Not your average framer »

This is what came in today for re-framing. I did not need to be told where this was framed. I see too much of this framers work, which unfortunate customers want re-framed after this framer has botched it up. This tapestry is only held in place by the masking tape with the MDF backing board directly behind it.

This unfortunate customers cross-stitch is contaminated with the adhesive residue from rubbish quality masking tape, which in time will rot the fabric. This framer is well known for his bad workmanship and telling customers who complain to S*d off! We call him Basil Fawlty, but it's not that funny!

We have ex-customers of his coming to us all the time. BTW, he only uses one wedge (V-nail) per corner and never ever any glue!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Did the customer lace it?

Can't believe a framer would lace it (not that it's a very good example of lacing) and then use masking tape and fail to make it flush.

What's that tear in the bottom left?

Looks like a particularly nasty moulding too - got a full frontal? :lol:
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hi John,

I don't know who laced it. The tear is the missing corner on the mount. The customer will be shown it tomorrow!

It's a cheap Simons moulding, not that there's anything wrong with the moulding. I just don't like seeing people ripped-off, when the penny pinching is taken to such lengths. I don't think it would cost any more to do a decent job, which is why I think it stinks!

This framer is very well known for all the wrong reasons. Every framer in Exeter will immediately recognise who's work this is. He's been doing it for years, I can't figure out how he is still trading, but he is!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Not your average framer wrote:This framer is very well known for all the wrong reasons.... He's been doing it for years, I can't figure out how he is still trading, but he is!
Out of curiosity, NYAF, how do his rates compare to other local framers? The reason I ask is, if he has such a bad reputation, why do people keep going to him? The only factor I can think of is price... :? The irony, of course, is that he is costing the poor customer far more in the long run than if he did the right work in the first instance.
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Not your average framer

Hi Áine,

Some people like to think they are saving money by going to him, but all they are getting is contract type materials at a not particularly cheap price.

These people only bring their work to me when they realise that their precious cross-stitches and valued items need some remedial action.

They are usually upset when I open up their framing and show them what has been done. Some have been back to him to complain and been told to leave the premises and not very politely or tactfully.
foxyframer
Organisation: Hampshire Framing
Interests: Golf, DIY and baking bread,cakes, biscuits and making chilli jams and various chutneys.

Post by foxyframer »

We also get a lot of remedial work in from other 'framers' , including one like NYA's which can be touched with a short stick.

The annoying thing is, that while the customer may have done the rounds for 'how much is it gonna cost me', they will often end up going to the one who can come up with the cheapest price; no matter on quality. Or ask what you are charging and then deliberately undercut, despite any pricing structure.

Last year I well remember sending a reluctant customer back to get their money returned on a limited edition, badly mounted with a nice masking tape finish. 'Oh, I didn't do that,must have been someone else. Poor workmanship and a bad liar. Still, they persisted and after a couple of attempts had their money back. Plainly obvious when there was a label on the cellophane.

Really annoying to say the least.
Measure twice - cut once
Framer Dave

Post by Framer Dave »

Have a nice big banner made up reading: We fix discount framing!
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

Like it, Dave! :lol:

I have a piece in for reframing this week, an original oil on canvas by an Irish artist whose works are steadily increasing in value. Bad enough that it was stuck down onto greyboard(!!!), but worse again, the varnish had been applied with a trowel. After it had been framed..... :roll: :evil:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
Not your average framer

Framer Dave wrote:Have a nice big banner made up reading: We fix discount framing!
Hi Dave,

That's a really brilliant idea. How does it work in practice? I'm inclined to wonder, if this isn't asking for too many PITA jobs.