Get help and framing advice from the framing community
strokebloke
Organisation: Turn Around Artwork
Interests: Photography, Wood-turning, Wood Carving; Bench Joinery, Cycling:
Learning new framing techniques!
Precision engineering

Alfa 1M

Post by strokebloke »

Since I started framing I have had a Morso hydraulic underpinner. There seems to be not many about, which surprised me somewhat.
However, following a couple of years using one and constantly having to top up the hydraulic fluid because of leaks from the master cylinder, I can understand why. I presume that Morso have cashiered the designer of that particular product in the range. :lol:

I have just bought an Alfamacchine 1M - manual operated. Second hand admittedly. It had seen some work, that much was obvious.
But it performed OK and the price was right. It has been stripped, cleaned, oiled and reassembled. Outrigger arms have been made and fitted for large frames & I have made a rebate clamp unit to replace the missing one when I bought it.
I am very pleased with it. It really is as good as new and performs faultlessly. Manufacture quality is at least comparable with the Morso item - and it doesn't leak. :clap:
I appreciate that it is an entry level underpinner. But if I make 20 frames a week I consider myself to be busy. (I also do wood turning and carving.) I guess that some of you guys make more than 20 frames in a day, but for me this underpinner is ideal.

Now all I have to do is decide whether to buy Framers Corner Blades for the Morso F, or Morso's own make :sweating:
http://www.turnaroundartwork.co.uk
Good advice is best learned, rather than simply listened to.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Alfa 1M

Post by Not your average framer »

It is only my personal opinion, but I think that the Alfamacchine 1M is every bit as good as the CS-88 and deserved to be more popular than it actually was and is. The rebate clamp on the 1M is particularly good, especially if you upgrade to the spring claw clamping attachment.

I don't think that having to change the wedge feeding block to suit different wedge sizes is any serious handicap, but maybe that is why more framers bought the CS-88. I was sad that they replaced the 1M with a new design, which someone has told me does not have a rebate clamp. I always said that I would kike to buy a 1M, but they stopped manufacturing it before I could afford to buy one.

Earlier this year I bought a second CS-88 when I had a few problems with the first one and I needed time to get some new parts and get it fixed. Unfortunately I was getting behind with my orders and needed an underpinner in a hurry, so I bought another CS-88 and later repaired and sold my previous CS-88. However I would have been just as happy to get a 1M instead.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
strokebloke
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

I was surprised to find, Mark, when I was trying to check out the provenance of the 1M from its serial number, that you can still buy a 1M new, from Anton's for about £600 (presumably + VAT)
I considered a CS88, very seriously - it was what I wanted. But the 1M became available, and .......
What I didn't know at the time is that the pedal reverses, so that, like the 88 it can be operated from the rear as well as the front.
Now that I have made the 'wings' for it and situated it in a convenient corner, I'll leave the pedal at the front.

Thanks for your observations. Much appreciated.

Jack
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Great machine, just grease the conect in rod pins and it will last for a very long time.
strokebloke
Precision engineering

Post by strokebloke »

Yes. Done. It had obviously been run dry for quite some time, by the look and sound of it.
When I stripped it down I found the the holes had elongated slightly. So at some point I will make some stainless steel bushes on the lathe and fit them in. For the moment the squeaking has been stopped and by reversing the rods I have got the pedal level again. :lol:
Tomorrow, I will make some templates for pentagon, hexagon and octagon frames, to fit into the fence, out of 5mm aluminium.

Then it should last me the remainder of my time - --- - and still be good for the next buyer. :giggle: