Innovations in framing & sealed packages

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Roboframer

Innovations in framing & sealed packages

Post by Roboframer »

Wish I'd found out about this a bit sooner, it's tomorrow! Still time to book if it's not too short notice for you though and there's a live webcast - which I also can't make - well not all of it.

http://www.johnjones.co.uk/calendar/vie ... nd-sealed/

Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Re: Innovations in framing & sealed packages

Post by Keith Hewitt »

John
This should be a wonderful event and very educational
The link says >>>>
The event will be screened live FRIDAY 11th for international audiences between 18:00 and 20:00 BST at this page.
So no need to go to London
I wonder if it will be available as a recording - I know framers in Asia who would like to watch it - but over there it will be Sat morning 02:00 - 04:00
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I'm almost tempted to drop a few things and go, have always fancied a tour of that place and I 'know' Hugh Phibbs from TFG - would love to meet him!

I won't though.

This came via twitter notification - I'm assuming they had some seats left (11 at this moment) after personal invites so they opened it up to the riff-raff :-)

Where's the guild?

Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I am taking my soon to football at that time. I wonder if they will put it up on youtube?
David
Organisation: Silverstone Framing
Interests: Photography, Motor Racing, Military

Post by David »

They are doing a tour at the moment, I saw this talk at Wessex on Tuesday, absolutely brilliant wasn't sure how much I'd get out of it, and learned a lot. Go if you can excellent presentation.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

Watch the conference on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9VWrP2p3fE
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I know its going out live on youtube but will it be available to view later?
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Personally I thought the presentation was a bit too amateurish

When Stuart Welch finished by saying " I think Ive dried up " :head: - I cringed - an appalling way to finish a presentation going out live worldwide, and now available on You Tube !

Did it not occur to him to prepare his presentation and ending before hand ?

Why weren't the speakers miked up ? I couldn't hear when someone else held the microphone too far away

The people asking questions should be asked to say their names and where they come from.

And Matthew Jones must have said "Err/Umh" over 100 times - there was an "Err/Umh" in almost every sentence. OK I know its daunting to do a presentation, so why not follow a script, leave out the Errs and the Umhs
Full marks to Craig Horsfall - he may have read his script, but that way you don't leave anything out, and you have an ending prepared.

Maybe I'm expecting too much. It was perfectly OK for an in house do, but way below what's needed for a live podcast.

It really needed to be done by a professional media company who know how to do these things.
And next time, please put some mount boards on the bottom windows to hide the red buses that kept passing :giggle:

Trying to look for the positives - it gave John Jones and Tru Vue some great publicity.
Keith Hewitt
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

5 minutes of them wondering around before it starts. I have switched off at that I will watch it when I have more time, but as you say rather amateurish, my 9 yr old does better videos than that.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Knowing about stuff is one thing - putting it over to an audience/class is quite something else, a total different kettle of ball games.

I wonder if any of those people, have had any formal training in teaching/speaking - I think Hugh Phibbs did well and if he has no formal training I know he does have a lot of experience. It's only him I've watched though and I Fast-Forwarded it all too. I don't think I could sit down in front of a screen for the whole thing, I'll have to have it playing while at work tomoz.

I have some such teaching training, military - I can teach you how to turn to the right at the halt (or on the march) and I could when I was 17 - I'm sure the same principles can be applied to a different subject and all your sealed packages will be TOTALLY uniform, the class will do them as ONE.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Well, I was quite keen to go, thanks for the notification, Robo. But the Eventbrite registration system thought the event had ended, and I emailed them and got no response.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

When I posted the link it was counting down with 10 hours or so left to register, it closed with 11 tickets left.
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

If you look at the front and part of second row there were plenty of empty seats :o

I know Ive been critical of the whole event, but hey come on - if you have planned for it to go out live, then get your act together. Get some bums on those empty seats - manage the event
Keith Hewitt
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

I had a nice email this morning apologising that my email had got stuck in their spam filters. As I sent it through the eventbrite form...
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

It would have been nice to have a link to a powerpoint file of the slide show that was part of the presentation. It was not visible on youtube video.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Keith Hewitt

Post by Keith Hewitt »

A friend of mine who does this type of thing for a living has just looked at the You Tube film and commented>>>
============================

Incredible!!! Love the way too they stand in front of the projector and have writing projected on to their faces. They should have all have been using hands free microphone then no problem of being heard and using hands. We use them most of the time, or a tie clip one.
==========================

If it was me I would scrap the You Tube film and do another using a professional media company .

This is how the Malaysian company I work for does it :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiCG2s-RmMs
Keith Hewitt
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Does what? I was looking for the "You can skip this advert in 5 seconds" window. It's a promo vid, not a teaching vid, there's no screen, no people with mics addressing an audience. So we don't know how they'd do it. Go to John Jones' website and take a look at their promo videos, they're at least as good as that.

For the attendees, which was the main thing, it was, according to David, who attended the same thing elsewhere, excellent - and in this case you'd get a tour of a very impressive business premises (and some food) as well. They're just not professional production people and they did it themselves. I still learned stuff though .... after watching it a few times!

If it was first and foremost a video presentation with a few lucky people invited to watch live - like a studio audience, that would be different and I'm sure they would have had it done professionally, like their promo videos.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Roboframer wrote:Go to John Jones' website and take a look at their promo videos, they're at least as good as that.
Comparing eggs to eggs they're actually far better.....