If it looks too good to be true ..

For topics that fall into the 'None Of The Above' category
Roboframer

If it looks too good to be true ..

Post by Roboframer »

I ordered one of these today At £11.28 who cares!

So, what will happen? If you scroll down the page it says

"Notice:
The picture is only for reference, please consider carefully before purchase".

So I'm reading "You sucker, do you seriously think you're gonna get an automatic watch looking like that for under twelve quid - have this thing you'd be lucky to find in a Christmas cracker - then read the small print - MUAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAA"

I've been googling watches, better watches than this of course .... well, higher priced anyway - this came up (was shoved under my nose) on F Book.

Wouldn't it be funny if it turned up looking like that and feeling like it looks too .... and keeping time for a year or so! I'd buy one every other year no problem, the strap might be looking a bit tired after that ... and where could you buy a nice strap alone for that price anyway.

Has to be a snag - long as it's not a credit card-abuse snag! Bet it doesn't even arrive.

Watch this space
Smithy
Organisation: None
Interests: Reading, gardening, music.

Re: If it looks too good to be true ..

Post by Smithy »

It looks damn thick to me, John. You'll have to get the dumbells out and strengthen your arm to carry it!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

No thicker than a Raymond Weil I was looking at on a cruise recently, well, a bit maybe. Salesman was quite pushy until I said "LOOK, it's like a friggin' sauté pan and I DON'T LIKE IT"!!

Have been reading reviews on Bang good - not bad at all considering. We'll see

TIME will tell :giggle:
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Singapore + Malaysia Dec 2012 100.jpg
Singapore + Malaysia Dec 2012 100.jpg (429.8 KiB) Viewed 39654 times
John,
Think you've overpaid :lol: :lol: :o
Singapore - Scotts Road - 3 for Sing $ 10
Which is £ 5.00 FOR THREE

And copy watches in Malaysia range from £8.00 for the popular brand names up to a staggering £ 20 if you want a Brietling or similar.
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
mho
Organisation: Valley Photo Print & Picture Framing
Interests: Photography, F1, Films, Music.

Post by mho »

It will arrive, Banggood sell everything and are a massive company, the question is what quality will it be when it arrives ?.
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

Raymond Weil? Cruise? I'll NEVER again ask if there's money in framing! :SD
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Banggood are great.

Can't recommend their iPad clone highly enough. (For £100.)

http://www.banggood.com/ONDA-V919-3G-Ai ... 59734.html

Which also comes in dual boot Windows/Android, if you know enough about such things to care... http://www.banggood.com/Onda-V919-Air-I ... 73862.html
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Has it arrived yet?
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nope, had this email the other day ....

"Dear Friend,

It is my honor to contact you.

For the following item in your order is out of stock now:

[SKU189336]WINNER Men Fashion Calendar Automatic Mechanical Casual Watch[+Color;Black]

and it will be restocked in 7 days..
Could you please wait for it with more patience?

Looking forward to your early reply"

I said no problem and thank you for letting me know - thinking why this long to realise no stock, but there you go!
Smithy

Post by Smithy »

'Dear Friend & my honour to contact you'? How creepy is that.

You be careful, John. Next they'll say you'll have to undertake a personality test and be baptised before they'll send it.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

This came today...
banggood watch 001.JPG
banggood watch 001.JPG (265.06 KiB) Viewed 39316 times
..well, two did actually, and, er, there's another one to come. It's not the one in the link - a few days after I ordered that and after being bombarded with banggood ads everywhere, I ordered this - I clicked 'buy it now' and nothing seemed to happen so I clicked it again - same - so I just added it to my basket and checked out!

They were about £9 each - I'll put the other two up for sale in the shop for about £30 each .... assuming this one keeps the time OK - it's not a badly-made thing at all, has a bit of weight and it was ever so simple to remove links and adjust the clasp pivot point for finer adjustment.

No box, no manual (manufacturer has a website though so perhaps there's one there) and a guarantee on a piece of paper smaller than a cigarette card - but who cares!

chris62
Organisation: Sansom Gallery
Interests: Photography/Carpentry

Post by chris62 »

Last time I was in Japan a new Seiko was about £9
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

BTW, that precision driver set is the best - it's from Wickes http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Precisio ... 8/p/167315
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

That watch doesn't look too bad actually - I might be tempted to get something myself :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The date works but the three small dials are decorative; the little buttons that would operate the dials are spring loaded, which seems weird as they are just decorative too. If it said that on the banggood site I missed it but after trying to make the buttons do something I googled the manufacturer and it's made clear there. Again, at this price, not a problem, the strap is worth more than the cost of the whole watch and I like the strap better than the one on my 'real' watch, it fastens in exactly the same way but then has a security clasp .. and the whole thing is more comfortable.

Early days, well, hours yet, but so far keeping good time!

When ordering I could choose shipping from China or UK warehouse - UK was a couple of quid more!

StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

That place is like a toy shop to me though!! Actually, I was showing the missus and there's a few things she spotted that could be possible victims for her 'craft' stall thing. Good find :)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

The one I ordered first came today.
Auto watch 001.JPG
Auto watch 001.JPG (343.91 KiB) Viewed 39196 times
Seems absolutely fine, but although this time the extra dial does work, I have absolutely no idea what it's for - it's another second hand but with only half a dial.
Roboframer

SITREP

Post by Roboframer »

It's got an automatic movement; first day I took it off and put it on my bedside table, it stopped at 3 am. I thought it was because I had not 'wound' it properly so before I took it off the next night I shook it from side to side for a minute or two - it stopped at 05:30 that time.

I've kept it at 05:30 before starting it again because the first time it stopped the date seemed to have jumped a day .. or I set it wrong, so rather than wind it forward 31 days I'll leave it until the date is right.

I've had a Seiko Kinetic for the past 20 years or so, in which time it has not stopped - if you take it off and don't move it for 72 hours it will stop itself and the next time you move it - next day, next month, next year, whatever, it will set itself to the right time and date. So these watches gave me the opportunity to see that and it was pretty fascinating.

Anyway - this cheap watch is not too good to be true, I got what I paid for and I paid eleven - odd quid.

StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Oh, shame - that's put somewhat of a dampener on my watch empire idea :shock: :(
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Just stick to the quartz ones, that one seems to be keeping good time