Pricing Model / Calculator

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Noggieboxa
Organisation: Time Travel
Interests: None

Pricing Model / Calculator

Post by Noggieboxa »

Sorry if this has been covered before - and if it has, I would be grateful for a link - but has anyone out there got a basic pricing model/calculator for framing work?

I am just getting back into framing after a long-ish (10yr) break. I used to have a very basic cost calculator which was kindly given to me by a fellow framer, but having found the original in the depths of my existing database, I find that it is now no longer compatible with my current iMac. I am an enthusiastic hobby framer and do fairly basic stuff, so I'm just looking for something that works out what materials I have used and adds a basic mark up to cover the cost of completing the work. At the moment, I'm doing stuff at 'cost' (materials only), as I'm using the work as my re-introduction/re-familiarisation to framing. I don't need anything very complicated, just something which gives me a good basis for working out cost/price.

Any thoughts and/or practical help would be most welcome.

Thanks

NoggieB
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Pricing Model / Calculator

Post by Steve N »

Hi Noggieboxa

Try this thread http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11160 that should help you

Welcome to the forum by the way
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I use estlite, which was developed by John the owner of this site. Unfortunately hd doesn't appear to have any links to it but Google it, it is a good little program. There are plenty of others if you look on the resources menu on the left under software.

Welcome to the forum.
Ray
Organisation: raygreenphotography.co.uk
Interests: photography, fell running, squash

Post by Ray »

A while since the last post on this thread but I always struggle with pricing. It is not my main occupation although I would like to do more.

I don't have a pricing program and I tend to double the cost of the materials to account for the work that goes in. My frames are to a certified standard but tend to basic mounts or double mounts in oak and black frames. Not sure how this sounds to those doing this for a living but I'm sure it wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of all the bills if I was charging that in full time occupation. This is one of the hardest things I struggle with. There is always a feeling of 'they won't pay that!'
prospero

Post by prospero »

Some people "won't pay that", but some will and the ones that will allow you to make a profit.

A good business adage is: If you double your prices and halve your trade, you are working half as hard for the same money. The reverse also applies. :P

Don't base your final price on the cost of materials. You can pick the phone up and order more materials. You can't order more time. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About