Frame packs and orders

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Frame packs and orders

Post by Not your average framer »

Jamesnkr wrote:I'm not convinced by choice. Most people don't care that much; the ones that really care may have no taste... and most of the time it doesn't really matter
That does not match my experience at all. I'm with Markw and Roboframer on this one, customers like framers who can give them what they want. No ifs, or buts............ choice is the name of the game!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Art_Framed
Organisation: Art Framed
Interests: Photography, flyfishing, most outdoor activities

Post by Art_Framed »

We are really appreciative of all the feedback. We are aware it's a big picture and not just us affected. We have been very comfortable in our business up until suppliers decided to change the playing field. Our shop is a bit different to others in the state in that we also offer a one off moulding service as well. We have a full cabinet making workshop with moulding machines capable of running one off designs from whatever timber we are able to obtain such as Huon Pine etc. As you would be aware this service carries a cost and its this section of the business that covered it's costs well. The problem arose when a supplier who handled a major company's products lost the deal and the major company who are we might say the leaders in the country decided to open a wear house of their own. There is no chop service and now we have gone from buying one stick to packs of up to 6. Of course we carry the usual stocks of everyday mouldings and that's a given, the issue is our customers have a choice. It's all about getting the correct look for each and every job regardless of weather we have the moulding in stock or an overnight supply from the dealer.
I guess my beef is that we were told that it's our problem and they don't care, if you want the moulding well you will NOW have to take our terms. That's ok but there must be a better way. As I have posted previously in this post we contacted the supplier and had a good talk. We were told that they were listening and from reading between the lines we were not the only ones on the phone to them. It will be interesting to see where this all goes. By the way our shop has been trading for 15 years and we have been in self employed business for 30+ years. Cheers everyone, Alan.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Actually, such a company's attitude can be indicative of the state of the framing industry and the economy in general. I a left-handed sort of way it's a good sign. :roll:

When a supplier affects this type of rather offhand way with a customer it must mean they have plenty of business. That's my theory anyway....

I too have been in business around 30 years and have traded though boom and bust. When I first started it was unheard of to split packs of anything. Trade suppliers tended to have a quite aloof attitudes, almost suspicious with potential new accounts especially if they were start-ups. Basically they seemed to regard the little guy as almost a nuisance. They expected a reasonable size order before they would even look at you. They also were quite selective and wouldn't supply people if they were too near to an existing account. There were exceptions, but this was the general mindset. But times change, and when things get a bit tight in the marketplace these policies tend to get brushed aside as companies struggle to compete in a shrinking economy. It's the old story of "be careful who you tread on as you climb the hill, you may meet them on the way down".
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Art_Framed

Post by Art_Framed »

Can assure you things in Tasmania are not all that buoyant. Most businesses in all forms have been belt tightening for some time. As I have sId previous we are not struggling by any means but if things don't change it just won't be us that feels the pinch I can assure you. It would be great if every one had a win for a change, lol. :D :D . I must be dreaming or had to much of that red wine.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Your supplier might already be intending to go for a compromise. The present position may only be the opening first move, to make a surcharge for breaking packs sound like a reasonable thing to do.

Right now if they offered to go back to the previous situation, but with lets say an 10% surcharge for less than for pack quantities, most of their customers would probably breathe a sigh of relief.

If they have not already offered something like this, it might be worth suggesting this. If the surcharge was not too much, a small across the board adjustment to your customer prices might go un-noticed.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Art_Framed

Post by Art_Framed »

That is a well thought out move Mark. I will have that one up my sleep when next I gat to chat with the company rep. Cheers. :clap:
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

markw wrote:But it's interesting to see that your customers who care have no taste.
Not something I said.
Art_Framed

Post by Art_Framed »

Oops :shock:
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

An Update

Alan at Art_Framed,

Ive just heard that Antons ( the big Australian distributor) have opened their own depot in Tasmania, so presume that you will be able to once again buy the small quantities you desire :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg