Windows 10

Computerised Mount Cutters, Computers, other gadgetry.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Windows 10

Post by IFGL »

For anyone who may be thinking of upgrading.

Against my normal manner of waiting a while before upgrading my operating system I did this time because it was free and I like free, it also gives you the option to go back if you don't like it.
So far every thing I have works fine, just a bit quicker and a little bit slicker.

Programs I have that gave no trouble whats so ever with the upgrade.

PS CS5
AI
Corel draw x5
Shiraz RIP V8.1 full server with every add on.
Custom framer art.
Filezilla server
Filezilla client
eyeone software.
Valiani V studio
chrome and firefox
adobe reader.

Hardware that worked without issue straight away
Hp laserjet p1102w
Epson 9890
epson 7880
Logitec webcam
No issues with router

Hardware that gave a problem
epson GT1500:- had to re download software and install, then worked fine
Nvidia GPU had to install 32 bit driver despite my system being 64 bit, then had to recalibrate my monitor (only necessary for the printers)

overall I am glad I did it, it is a vast improvement over W8 which I did not like and have stuck with W7 until now.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Re: Windows 10

Post by StevenG »

Thanks for that - I have a Windows 10 install sitting here on my HD and whilst I'm interested I didn't want a list of incompatibilities AFTER the upgrade. I just might give it a go over the weekend, reports for far have been good. Never ventured into Windows 8, hated the look of it actually. Win7 isn't doing me an harm here but maybe I like to be reckless sometimes and live life on the edge :wink: :)
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

That's why I posted, I do have 4 or 5 more machines to upgrade, I will post any problems, or not as the case may be.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Computer 2 now upgraded.

Valiani V studio and cmc working fine with no issues.

M3 package software working fine.
I have not yet tested opticut, but will tomorrow.

All networks were still there, I didn't even have to put the passwords back in.

There are zero stability problems and no other issues on this machine so far.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Sony laptop updated all fine no hassle.

Adobe CC all working.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

the rest of the machines have been updated without any issues what so ever.
BlueSkyArt
Organisation: Blue Sky Framing Ltd.
Interests: Running, travelling, running, furniture making, running.

Post by BlueSkyArt »

Just updated to 10 and now my Gunnar F1 Hybrid as running at half speed and I can't figure out why so I'm thinking of going back to 8.1 on this PC so I can get some actual work done. Works great on my laptop though!
Matt
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Generally impressed with how smoothly the upgrade went (from Win 7). However I suspect that the primary function of this new OS is to gather data.

Two broken apps so far:
Seagate software for mounting a Seagate NAS hard drive. I have been unable to locate a Win10 update from their website.
Mirage Photoshop plug-in did not initially work, but ok after it was re-installed.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I was as well, everything seems to work though I am reluctant to put it on my laptop as I have an elderly copy of Sage 50 Accountant 2008 with all my accounts on. My main computer which I have upgraded does have sage on it and it does appear to work.
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I have not upgraded as yet as do not have the time until the tourists return home. I am glad that I have not if the Gunnar software is a problem as I use the PC only to drive the F1 Hybrid software. BlueSkyArt I would be grateful if you could update if and when you find a solution.

Thanks!
Merlin
Organisation: Merlin Mounts
Interests: Aviation

Post by Merlin »

Upgraded 2 PC's here to WIN10.

Easy upgrade and no problems.

Concur Valiani V-Studio and Corel Draw running well
John GCF
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

Not sure if this is generally true, but I'm finding that larger, more complex software runs noticeably slower on W10.

Photoshop CS6 is much slower to load and there is a noticeable lag on many operations compared to Windows 7

Delphi, lightning fast on our ancient XP, now drags on the new operating system.

IFGL

Post by IFGL »

The only machine I found the same was the Sony laptop, this is the only machine we have that only has one HD and the only one that is not a SSD, there was a massive 77 GB old windows file on the c drive, this contains the old installation of windows, on the other five computers this was only 10 to 20 GB.

I deleted the old installation, you can't just delete, you have to do it through disk clean up, the C drive on this laptop was also massively fragmented, I can't tell you if it was before the upgrade but I am guessing it has to move files about, I ran disk defragmenter, it is now running faster than before.

I can't say if these steps will help anyone else, it is possible I just haven't noticed on the other computers, they all run ssds with the os and programs on separate drives, nothing takes long for instance PS CS5 takes 2 seconds to start up, I doubt a extra half a second would be noticed.

I am replacing the HDD on the laptop in a few days with a SSD they have come down in price vastly, I got a 1TB crucial drive for less than £300, they were over £2000 a couple of years ago.
JohnMcafee

Post by JohnMcafee »

After upgrading Windows 10 often sets the regional settings to USA.

BlueSkyArt
Organisation: Blue Sky Framing Ltd.
Interests: Running, travelling, running, furniture making, running.

Post by BlueSkyArt »

Hi all, update on the speed issues I had with my Gunnar after updating to windows 10. First of all, big thanks to Sarah for all the help. The problem was eventually solved by updating the driver for the USB converter. Now it works 100% again.
Matt
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Have a problem with windows 8, every time I use the laptop with it on, every webpage has bloody adverts on :head: :xcomputer: :xcomputer: :xcomputer: :head: :head: , just can't sop it from downloading SaveItCoupons, now this only happen with the computer with with Wins 8, so my question is will windows 10 put a stop this, if not I'm chucking the bloody laptop in the bin
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Hi Steve, sounds like you have inadvertently installed a browser add on, these are usually bundled with free software and you have to uncheck a button before installing said free software to not install the horrible add on.

You can usually disable these fairly easily by disabling them in your browsers settings, then uninstalling them in the control panel, install avast internet security, this will scan your browsers and flag up any bad add on software that may be present.

if your laptop does not have anything you can't reinstall, I would back up anything you may need, then type in the search reset, this should then bring up the option to completely reset to factory settings,
once this is done, do all the updates this may take some time, if your default was 8 not 8.1 then go to the Microsoft website and update to 8.1 first.

Once the updates have been done then upgrade to W10, you will have a brand new out of the box laptop.

PM me if you need any help with any of that.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Thanks Darren, as the laptop is only used for sage accounts and doing the payroll, I think I will leave it, it is used only 2 or 3 time a month, so I don't think it worth the time to reset and then run updates, just won't surf the web on this Bl**dy machine

But a big thank you for the info mate, cheers
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Thanks for the Gunnar update BlueSkyArt, I shall install 10 once things calm down here a bit next month.
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

I had the same issues with my gunnar F1 XL and immediately rolled back to windows 8.... what I did also notice was that the blade wasn't going deep enough for a standard board and my initial thought was that I would have to go through the setup again for the Gunnar... and I really couldn't be bothered at the time.... reassuring to note that updating the USB driver will fix the issue tho... think I might reinstall 10 again when I get a quite spell again as I have 10 on my other machines in the studio... and on the whole, I'm quite happy with it... other than the tabs in IE and Firefox looking like they have been styled by fisher price... makes a change for Microsoft to give a free be that actually works :-)