Morso Blades

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Phil@phramed
Organisation: PHRAMED
Interests: All things arty, football, golf and cooking

Morso Blades

Post by Phil@phramed »

Hi,

First time using this forum, but I would really appreciate your help!

Every time I send my blades away to be sharpened they come back and I have issues cutting certain mouldings. I have 4 sets of Morso blades and each works perfectly on machine when I first use them. Then after they sharpness begins to dull, I send them to be sharpened and then I seem to continually experience problems with them. Does any one else suffer these problems?

I wondered if it was the set up of my machine, but in the last 6 months I've bought 2 sets and each brand new set works perfectly!

Once the blades are returned from sharpening I have a nightmare trying to cut barewood Ayous mouldings. The blades just seem to rip the wood. I've tried different brands (Lion & Arqadia) but the results are the same! The Blades are fine cutting other mouldings.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Many thanks.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Re: Morso Blades

Post by IFGL »

Try somewhere else to sharpen the blades.
StevenG
Organisation: Featurepiece Frames
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

A quick browse through previous Morso cutting related posts will demonstrate the frustration incorrectly sharpened blades can cause :head: . I've just had mine returned, fitted them today & I've already got a sinking feeling things aren't right. I'd suggest (like IFGL) getting them done somewhere else just as a troubleshooting test if nothing else. Good luck :)
Phil@phramed

Post by Phil@phramed »

Thanks for the quick replies, this is a great forum :)

Unfortunately they've been back to Wessex numerous times and the last time I tried Mainline and they were better but they are still chewing the barewood Ayous moulding i'm trying to cut. Where do you recommend sharpening?

Are there any other issues you can think of? I just find it strange that the brand new blades work perfectly!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Welcome to the forum!

I've used Wessex for years without a problem ever - and I assume it's the London (Leatherhead) branch you use too. I also use Centrado.
Phil@phramed wrote:The Blades are fine cutting other mouldings.
That's strange! Some softwoods are just not Morso friendly and I know you said brand new blades were fine but there's nothing quite as sharp as brand new blades, I don't think they're ever QUITE as sharp as that once anyone else gets their hands on them.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The fact that this problem doesn't seem to occur with other mouldings, would suggest that it could be a problem with that particular moulding. It would be helpful if you know another framer who would be willing to try cutting the same moulding on his own morso as a way of illiminating any problems with your morso, or the blades.

My own experience suggests that particular obeche, or ayous mouldings can be consistantly better, or worse that others and I tend to avoid using those which appear to regularly cause problems with cutting, or joining.

Have you discussed your problem with the moulding supplier, or had their rep visit so he/she can see the problem and discuss what to do about it?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
easypopsgcf
Organisation: home
Interests: cars

Post by easypopsgcf »

Are your blades far enough forward? Is it just ripping at the back edge?
prospero

Post by prospero »

The thing with bare wood is that it doesn't have a coating that would form a sort of 'shell' on the outside - thus holding the fibres together. Therefore if you get a slightly soft piece there is a tendency to tear the back edge. I long since stopped fretting about this on bare wood. What is filler for? :lol:
The last few years I've been using a lot of wide-ish moulding and switched to sawing it. A few whiskers on the back edge is all I get and a quick sanding fixes that. I do get though a lot of 1" bevel liner which I do cut on a Morso. Sometimes big chunks come out the back, but as the edge is hidden by the frame I don't lose sleep over it. As you work with this liner you can tell a soft stick by the weight. Some of it is also like Balsa and that's the stuff that tears. The denser sticks cut better, but they are usually twisted. :?

One thing I have observed though.... I sometimes use very old pieces of moulding. Got a shed full. :P Some goes back to the '70s. Whenever use any of this old stuff I can't help but notice that it cuts and joins like a dream. No chipping, no gaps. Methinks the quality of timber used in moulding has gone downhill a lot over the years. At one time Ramin was the timber of choice for smaller mouldings. Exports of boards of this timber was outlawed a few years ago. Only ready-milled stuff is allowed to be exported - at least that's what I've read. I think in recent years moulding manufacturers have struggled to source decent timber. Sign of the times. The days have gone when there was a seemingly endless supply of wood. People are more eco-aware and not a bad thing to boot.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Phil@phramed

Post by Phil@phramed »

Thanks for all the replies :)

While the new blades work perfectly, pushing the sharpened blades further forward has solved the problem.

Once again many thanks.
StevenG
Interests: Movies, always trying to get things better, Wasting money on things I don't need, reading stuff on here, eating sandwiches & being thankful for the small things

Post by StevenG »

Pushing the sharpened blades further forward? What do you mean? Sorry, I know I'm missing anything simple here :)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

It so the point of the blades go into the gap between the fences, that way you are not doing the final cuts with the pointed/joint of the blades but cutting further back along the blade, thus allowing the waste more room to move when cutting , thust getting a better final cut on the outer edge of the moulding :-? well I know what I mean
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
StevenG

Post by StevenG »

Ahh, I know what you mean now but not sure how that would affect the original issue. Oddly (& sadly) enough though I've just changed my blades with a newly sharpened pair and I seem to have having the 'push away' effect. I'll try that later today maybe or I might just change the blades again - I hate all this time wasting stuff :x :sweating: :cry: :(
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Totally agree with you on time wasting, but there does seems to be a lot of this problem at the moment, or is it more framers are talking about it and not keeping it to themselves :?
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
fraggle
Organisation: Perfectly Framed
Interests: Gardening, tennis, DIY

Post by fraggle »

Hi All,

Help!!!

I have just typed in "ayous problems" and this is the first thing that came up. I have found that there are definitely variations between batches of mouldings and even along a moulding length in some instances - some can be like a soft Crunchie bar inside!

Am getting issues with cutting ayous and pine mouldings - does not do a clean final cut and leaves whiskers and/or pulls away wood from the outer edge. The moulding I am using at the moment has a very thin painted style finish and is doing the same. I will try and upload a picture.

I have done a blade test with a piece of paper which cuts perfectly and cleanly so I don't think that my blades are blunt and am making sure that the rebate support "nobbles" are not pressing into the moulding for the final cut but I have two frames for a new customer that I am not happy with and want to start again.

Does anyone have any suggestions about which woods perform best for cutting (bare or finished)? I do not like the ones with the thick lacquer as they tend to chip. I notice that Lion state wood type used in all mouldings but my local supplier is Wessex who do not. I need a 1" white wood moulding - can anyone recommend one from Wessex? It is not cost effective to order via Lion and also I am in danger of missing my deadline!

I am also getting problems with getting a smooth corner join when underpinning - is this an issue with a thin moulding (although nothing obviously warped before I cut), my cutting technique or my underpinner?

Thanks in advance!

:-)
fraggle

Post by fraggle »

p.s how do I add a picture?!
prospero

Post by prospero »

There is a button on the reply page that allows you to upload pictures directly from your PC. Look at the bottom for "Upload Attachment".
Alternatively, if you can upload the picture to the web (pereferbly .jpg format and maximum 800x800 pixels) and use tags. Click the IMG button along the top and you'll get two boxes [][] with img and /img in them. Can't type them properly or they will activate. Find the picture where you put it on the web and r-click on it. Click "Copy Image URL" in the box that pops up and paste it between the tags.

Having said all that, I can pretty well visualise the problem. You might be better served sourcing a moulding that cuts better. :? I can't recommend one though.... :|
fraggle

Post by fraggle »

Thanks Prospero, I will take a look
Think it is usually a case of you get what you pay for with mouldings and there is no point in paying for a cheaper moulding for a bad result
I would not be happy with it on my own wall and that is the litmus test that I use to see if I am satisfied with my work!
fraggle

Post by fraggle »

Here are the pics. I added some liming wax to one corner but it still looks awful!
Just as well we have a wood burner!
:wink:
Attachments
P1090814.JPG
P1090814.JPG (3.77 MiB) Viewed 10346 times
P1090813.JPG
P1090813.JPG (3.92 MiB) Viewed 10346 times
P1090812.JPG
P1090812.JPG (4.01 MiB) Viewed 10346 times
prospero

Post by prospero »

Hmmmm.... seen worse. :P

Try a bit of polyfilla with a bit of wax on top when it's dry.

Actually, as long as you have no bare wood showing, that driftwoody texture is quite forgiving when it comes to minor chips.
fraggle

Post by fraggle »

You sound like my other half - the solution to everything is filler! :lol:
The problem is that I look a things as closely at the photo!
I just think I will spend ages trying to repair and make good and it will still not look good enough. It is an important new customer and it would be better to do a perfect job with better materials and give myself the best opportunity for repeat business - work will be displayed in a shop!