How best to mount tear sheet from a book?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

How best to mount tear sheet from a book?

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

We do not seek bespoke framing orders but I can not seem to say no to some of our regular customers whose requirements take me outside of my usual comfort zone.

The one I have now is a simple one, but I would like to check best practice. It is a page from a book, about A4, on quite light weight paper. I assume that I would hinge at the top, but also that I should use lighter hinges than I use for our photos and Ltd Ed. prints which are larger and 300gsm plus paper?

My concern with this is being thin paper moisture from the tape might show through (I can probably ensure that the hinge is behind the mount) but I am also concerned about this methods reversibility.
2015-08-27-09.44.jpg
2015-08-27-09.44.jpg (191.2 KiB) Viewed 3617 times
Am I heading in the right direction?
Roboframer

Re: How best to mount tear sheet from a book?

Post by Roboframer »

A platform mount would be perfect and with that much paper margin, edge mounting strips would be good too - both have no adhesive in contact. Failing that don't use wet hinges, use Filmoplast P90 or similar.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

Good morning,

reversing/removing any type of adhesive, be it wheat/rice starch or licky sticky, can be difficult and with something of value is best done by a paper conservator. The reason hinges are used is they allow the paper to hang... but the drawback is invasive adhesive.

Non invasive methods include corner pockets, which are easy to make yourself, but their drawback is the weight of the paper is resting on the bottom pockets rather than hanging. Another good method is the platform mount. I've yet to use this technique but plenty of folk on here do.

Whenever one is concerned about using adhesive on valuable art then best practice is not to! Go for corner pockets, platform, edge strips (paper or clear film) or full encapsulation. There is enough space on your job to cover up corner pockets or edge strips with the window mount.
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Have gone with the platform mount, looks great. Have not posted a photo as you know how it looks!

Thanks for confirming the right direction.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Goodness me! That picture brings back memories. Back in the 1970's, I very nearly lived on that track. I used to train there and race there. I also attended many of the big international meetings watching some of the worlds most famous sprinters.

I used to compete in sprints, sprinting was my forte, but it seems a very long time ago now! I no longer have a track bike, but I still have a road bike, although I have not used it for a number of years. Perhaps I need to try riding it again. I think I would need to get some lower gears these days, as I was really fit then, but not now.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack

I've always wanted to ride on a track but have never got round to it. I used to road race in my 20's but haven't shaved my legs for sometime now :giggle:

I too still have my road bike, complete with tubs and a full Campagnolo Record groupset. Also not ridden for years :oops:
Oliver Hardy.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have a road bike gathering dust in the garage - everything on it had to have a 4 star rating or above in "cycling plus" magazine. Frame is "Shogun team issue"

When I stopped using it seriously my stepson borrowed it for a year and put MUDGUARDS, PANNIER RACK and a BELL on it!!! He had a front wheel stolen that I'd had made by Geoffrey Butler Cycles in Croydon - he replaced it with something "equivalent" from Halfords!

Also have a mountain bike that's 20 years old, the frame alone - Kona - cost about £900 in 1995!

David McCormack

I also have a Kona Cindacone from the 90's with rigid front forks. I used to go out with an off road club and... oh the joy of carrying your bike on your shoulder on the lakeland fells... :giggle: downhill was fast though :sweating:
Oliver Hardy.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I have the Excel Pro team road bike. It was the latest thing at one time, but things have moved on since then. It's got an aluminium frame, carbon fibre forks, Campagnolo Chorus groupset (except the wheel hubs which are Dura ace) and a titanium framed saddle. It would have be better if the frame was a bit smaller, but I bought it secondhand at an auction. The frame is a more old fashioned style that you see these days.

David were you the member of a cycling club? I was at various times a member of the Feltham Road Club, Redmon C. C. and also the Clarence Wheelers. I mostly completed in track events, time trails, tandem time trials and a few hill climb events. I should still have some photos, press cuttings, programs, certificates, medals and trophies. I've found a few of them, but there are a lot more somewhere.

I was surprisingly skinny in those days!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
David McCormack

Yes Mark, I used to ride and race with the Port Sunlight Wheelers on The Wirral in Merseyside. They're still going strong I believe. Used to ride 10 & 25 mile time trials, road races and Tuesday night criteriums in Birkenhead Park! Never did get any points so always remained a 3rd cat rider :lol:

The road frame I still have was made for me by a local lad... double butted steel! By todays standards it probably weighs a ton!! We used to race wearing the hairnet leather helmets :oops: Do you remember those?
Oliver Hardy.
Not your average framer

Yes, I remember those helmets very well. I'm probably alive todays thanks to one of those, I was sprinting for the line a Herne Hill when my right hand crank snapped and I was catapulted over the handle bars and hit the track head first at about 40 mph, maybe more. I was unconcious at first, but came round afterwards.

The bike was a purpose built sprint bike, with a 1" pitch block chain (which because of the double pitch between the teeth on the chainwheel and the spocket did not give you very much choice in the sizes of gearing available and I usually used 104" gearing). It also had 12 gauge double butted (tandem) spokes in the back wheel (tied and soldered), Clement number 1 silk tubs and Cinnelli steel bars and stem. My handle bars were brazed into the stem. My cycling shoes were bolted to the pedals and as a result I remained attached to the bike throughout the crash.

Surprisingly enough I won that particular heat, because I had already got my front wheel across the line and qualified, so I was able to compete in the final, but I was too badly bashed about to stand a proper chance of winning and had to settle for second place riding a friends bike and wearing a borrowed pair of shoes.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer