GCF logo

Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Gordon Bennet - a newsletter and an advanced module qualification already - this is great.
Moglet
Organisation: An Urban Myth
Interests: I'll let you know if I get my life back.

Post by Moglet »

osgood wrote:It's a bit amusing that all you framers up there are named after a toilet! :wink: :wink:
Are you sure, Ormond? Just checked the Membership list, but can't seem to find anyone called "Dunny"... :? :wink:

---

Edit: Dang, beaten to it... :evil:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Image .Briseann an dúchas trí shuiligh an chuit.
prospero

Post by prospero »

osgood wrote:It's a bit amusing that all you framers up there are named after a toilet! :wink: :wink:

Ye Olde English slang for a chamber pot is a 'Jerry'. :) Quite a common expression when I was a lad. Not widely used nowadays (the word not the pot). Two 'celebrities' on 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' lost a pot of cash by being ignorant of the word. There was an old bloke down our street called Jerry Philpot, which cracked me up me no end when I was about 7 years old.

I must say, this new society is very educational. :lol:

I also went to school with a boy called Jimmy Riddel, buts that's nothing to do with anything. :?

"How fortunate you English are, zat you find the toilet sooooo amusing!"
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Roboframer wrote:Gordon Bennet - a newsletter and an advanced module qualification already - this is great.
What a great name for a newsletter! Have you seen the latest edition of the "Gordon Bennet".

Incidentally the real "Gordon Bennet" was newspaper proprietor who competed in and sponsered motor racing between about 1900 and 1920. Lots of racing drivers were killed during this period and Gordon Bennet was one of the most famous head-case drivers of the era! He had lots of crashes, but never got killed or lost his nerve! People counldn't believe that anyone could drive the way he did and not get killed" Hence the expression!
osgood

Post by osgood »

Not your average framer wrote: Incidentally the real "Gordon Bennet" was newspaper proprietor who competed in and sponsered motor racing between about 1900 and 1920. Lots of racing drivers were killed during this period and Gordon Bennet was one of the most famous head-case drivers of the era! He had lots of crashes, but never got killed or lost his nerve! People counldn't believe that anyone could drive the way he did and not get killed" Hence the expression!
NYAF,
Thanks for that.....I was just about to ask who GB was. I knew one of you Poms would know the answer!
prospero

Post by prospero »

:roll: Wasn't there a Simons rep called Gordon Bennet???

btw. osgood. "Gordon Bennet!" :o is generally used as an expression of exasperation. Rather in the same context a "Stone the flaming crows!" in the antipodean idiom. :wink:
markw

Post by markw »

Wiping the tears away - possibly the funniest posting ever seen on this site. If not called John - Mark is the next best, although I will change my name if its ruled necessary for membership.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

We are now proudly displaying our JGF logo on our website and are in the process of adding it to our invoices and letterheaded paper.

watch out Mr. Red Gown & Flat Cap!
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Hurray!!! Well done, Grahame! 8)

The JGF logo catches the eye better, and IMHO tells customers w-a-y more about the good service that they can expect from you!
:wink: :D

Bagsy Membership Number 3 please!

Seán de Faoite JGF
osgood

Post by osgood »

prospero wrote: btw. osgood. "Gordon Bennet!" :o is generally used as an expression of exasperation. Rather in the same context a "Stone the flaming crows!" in the antipodean idiom. :wink:
Yep, know that one! In fact down here we do keep an eye on the expressions you guys use, just in case you ever decide to take us convicts back and inhabit this country yourselves.

We know there is a distinct possibility that you will try, because there is so much envy happening up there, in relation to the fact that the descendants of your banished convicts live in the best country in the universe!

We also know you will not succeed when you try due to the fact that your country is no longer a world power as it once was a long time ago, and besides, we would kick your butts as we do in so many other fields of endeavour.
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Does that include the Olympic Gold for Modesty, Ormond? :wink: :D
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
kaptain.kopter

Post by kaptain.kopter »

I now display my membership of this prestigous organisation proudly on my site.

http://www.mrsite.co.uk/usersitesv6/mar ... page13.htm

Must go as I'm working on an unusual strudel moulding and complementary shortcrust fillet for the latest pastry frame competition.

As to the subject matter, I've recently come in to possession of a low quality image of an old bloke in a flat hat painted by the hard to find artist Fat Guild. Should set it off a treat.
You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.

www.martinchadwickphotography.com
osgood

Post by osgood »

Áine,

Yes, yes, yes! :wink: :lol: :wink:
osgood

Post by osgood »

Moglet wrote: Bagsy Membership Number 3 please!
I bags membership number four on the proviso that I can change the name to something more appropriate to Australian vernacular - "Bloody Good Framer".
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

osgood wrote:....something more appropriate to Australian vernacular - "Bloody Good Framer".
Well, if we're gonna get country-specific, maybe we Paddys could use "FGF".... :shock:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Nah - you deserve far more than 'Fairly Good Framer' - surely?
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Father Jack" vernacular! :wink:

And don't call me Shirley! :P
........Áine JGF SGF FTB
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

How about - for some posters here - the GJAFD

(Jolly Good Dyslexic Framers Assosheayshun)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

On a serious note ......

Doooooong!

No - really - John - you need to be at our night out during the Spring Fair -venue to be confirmed and booked - who cares anyway - but hotel room may still be available at a discount - read this if you have not already

http://theframersforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=60
Moglet

Post by Moglet »

Roboframer wrote:No - really - John - you need to be at our night out during the Spring Fair ...
And, if there's time, book a stand at the Fair and drum up some new members. I'm sure you'd get a fantastic take-up! :lol:
........Áine JGF SGF FTB