Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Fellows Framing
Organisation: Fellows Framing
Interests: Framing, Riding

Medal Case and boxes

Post by Fellows Framing »

[attachment=0]image.jpeg[/attachment

Hello,

I am framing a quantity of medals and have 2 cases with medal in and 2 small carboard boxes that the medals came in. The customers wants to them in the frame with sides showing.

I am scratching my head to think how to fix them so are reversible on customers request. I can use thread round the 2 cases but only the hinge and one fasterner which leaves the left side flapping. I also need to fix the medal in the case, but nothing to sew onto. As for the cardboard boxes I dont know!

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Thank you.

Sarah
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 8770 times
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Medal Case and boxes

Post by GeoSpectrum »

With a bit of lateral thinking you might use an acrylic case with small acrylic retainers positioned to stop the case moving around.

http://www.acrylicdisplaycases.co.uk/
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

It would look great in a horizontal display case sitting on a table. You could make a velvet-covered form to hold it in position and it would just rest there securely( unless someone tipped the box up). The lid could be hinged for easy access.

Try to hang it vertically and you are in a completely different kettle of fish. You could use lots of strategically placed Melinex strips, which would be not an easy or quick job. If you did manage to do it, it wouldn't be owner-removable. Well, removable maybe but owner-putbackable I doubt it. :?

Maybe someone else has a bright idea, but to me it's definitely an 'invisible pixie' scenario. :Slap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

We did something similar a few months ago, we made one of roboframers slide over type frames the boxed item just sat on a shelf inside, I did not take any pictures though.
Fellows Framing

Hi,

Thanks for all your comments.

When I said reversible I meant to do it in a conservation way, not so customer could take it in or out easliy - was not very clear, sorry.
IFGL wrote:We did something similar a few months ago, we made one of roboframers slide over type frames the boxed item just sat on a shelf inside, I did not take any pictures though.
Please could you tell me where to get info on this slide over frame, sounds intriging.

Thanks again

Sarah
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

You could use formed rods for the box like I used for that gig stick too, but much smaller of course. Painted to match the box, they'd not be very obtrusive,

First of all, do what I did when I was asked to do a medal in its case - beg the customer to just frame the medal!

I said "The box isn't for display, it's for safe keeping, it's meant to be kept closed; medals are not worn in their boxes, the frame will become its display box. It will also be central in the frame, left in its box it will be to the right and won't look half as good"

I was told to shut up and do as I was told and when it's by someone awarded the order of St Michael & St George you tend to obey unless they run you through with their sabre!
GCMG.jpg
GCMG.jpg (184.07 KiB) Viewed 8696 times
The whole thing is tightly fitted in to a sink mount, yours might be trickier as it's not square, but a square aperture wouldn't be bad if the revealed backing was the same colour. I tied the clasp down on the right and used two melinex straps, one central, well, over the right edge of the lid and one on the left, which you can see. The sink mount prevents lateral movement, you wouldn't need it with formed rods. I didn't use them here as I would have needed more rebate space for the correx, it was almost touching the glass as it was. ..... and I like melinex straps wherever possible!

The navy insert was glued in, I removed it, mounted the medal to it as I would if it was mount board and glued it back in.
Fellows Framing

Thanks.

Your picture of sinkmounted case Roboframer looks smart. I think that will be the way to go.

Interesting link to guitar rods and slip over frames - you learn something new everyday!

Cheers Sarah
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Roboframer wrote: order of St Michael & St George you tend to obey unless they run you through with their sabre!
CMG - Call Me God
KCMG - Kindly Call Me God
GCMG - God Calls Me God
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thank You Bernard. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
Organisation: The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
Interests: Philately, Darts, Beer Making, Photography, Golf

Post by John Ranes II, CPF, GCF »

Roboframer wrote:First of all, do what I did when I was asked to do a medal in its case - beg the customer to just frame the medal! I said "The box isn't for display, it's for safe keeping, it's meant to be kept closed; medals are not worn in their boxes, the frame will become its display box. It will also be central in the frame, left in its box it will be to the right and won't look half as good"...
Robo,

I totally concur with your attempt to dissuade the customer in using the box as part of the presentation. I personally agree with you in that it takes away from your presentation. But then ours is not to reason why... we finally do what the customer desires. :Slap:

A good attempt of educating the customer at the design table is always worth the effort, after all, our job is to design our framing presentations to the best that we know in regards to color, proportion, balance and good taste.

I have to honestly say, that in 37 years of framing, I don't think that I have ever had a request on this side of the Atlantic to keep the box as part of the presentation. BTW - For those of you who do receive Picture Framing Magazine please look for an forthcoming article written by framing colleague, Tim Franer where he shares his framing of the French Legion of Honor medal - It is an absolutely spectacular presentation, exquisitely executed. I will post some images down the road for those that don't receive this magazine and might have interest.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
The Frame Workshop of Appleton, Inc.
430 E Northland Ave
Appleton, WI 54911-2127 USA

Member: FATG & PPFA
The Frame Workshop
John Ranes Picture Framer Blog
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

French Legion of Honour medal
It just so happens I have one of those in for framing.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF wrote:A good attempt of educating the customer at the design table is always worth the effort
So many topics start with "The customer wants"!

Now who wouldn't want to give a customer what s/he wants? We are here to please, after all.

The best salespeople though, have customers who arrived with an idea and left with a better one they were not aware of.

I admire having this done to me too! We went looking for a used 4-seater soft top convertible and ended up with a brand new 2 seater hard top roadster!

We decided, after a bad experience with VERY expensive deep pile carpet throughout, bar the kitchen which was cushion flooring ... to have cushion flooring, with a few rugs here and there, throughout. Sales guy (local independent, none of your carpetright BS like last time) asked us a few questions about why, pointed out a few pros and cons and now we've gone for cushion flooring in the entrance hall only and are spending less than had we gone for it throughout.

etc.

John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

Steve,

Thanks for your PM... You asked about the PFM article and not to take anything away from the yet to be released issue, Tim Franer shared a number of photos with me of this project. I'd like to share a few with you here...

As you can see in the photos, this is a hinged frame, gilded and hand finished. Tim is a fantastic designer so look for the article with more details about his design.

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

John,

That is quite spectacular! Can't wait to read the article that, hopefully, explains the work involved. I will also be showing the photo of Tim's frame to my customer.

Many thanks.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Thank you John for showing the photos. That is a truly inspired presentation and such a clever idea as well.

I think a lot of framers will be copying that idea. Also I can see a lot of other ways of using that same idea for framing other items.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have to say this.

Things in the framing world opposite sides of the pond are so different. I like the way on the other side that emphasis is on preservation - more too - but I absolutely do not like most of the design. The last thing I see there is the first thing I should see - the medal. The frame is hideous - the shaped mounts are not necessary and the balance is all wrong.

It also seems to be a fabric-wrap which has never caught on here. I attended a fabric-wrapping class across the pond, it was a specific trip too, thinking I could take it on and be different. NOT - just no way, no-one does it or wants it here.

One phrase I like, that I also picked up from across the pond is "Don't make the artwork jealous" (of the frame/mount) and this totally does.

I hate it.

IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Roboframer I wish you would say what you mean, instead of holding it all in don't be shy.

Not my cuppa tea either for the reasons John said, I do appreciate the work that went into it though.
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF

IFGL wrote: ...Not my cuppa tea either for the reasons John said, I do appreciate the work that went into it though.
Agreed... but the customer in this case wanted it to be dramatic and removable, and that is what Tim gave him. Actually with some history on the medal, the frame design is appropriate.

John (Robo's) point about focus is definitely true...he'd rather see the medal case! :lol: :mrgreen:

John
John Ranes II, CPF, GCF
430 E Northland Ave

The Frame Workshop
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I think it a case of ' Just because you can, doesn't mean you should' the shapes of the mounts do not reflect anything from the medal of the text, sorry thinks it's just over the top
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/