Commercial Picture Framing Orders

Financial, legal, advertising, pricing, marketing, accountancy, bookkeeping, employment, taxation, etc.
Kwik Picture Framing
Organisation: Kwik Picture Framing
Interests: Picture framing
Making just that little bit of difference to someone, somewhere.

Commercial Picture Framing Orders

Post by Kwik Picture Framing »

We are looking to do more commerical picture framing in the local area, we do alot of adverting on yell.com, google adwords etc. But dont get any commercial large contract orders. We want to know how we can achieve this and which channels can we go through
sable filbert
Organisation: framing
Interests: London, boats, bikes, ghosts

Re: Commercial Picture Framing Orders

Post by sable filbert »

I used to get largish orders now and again when we were in London, but as a small shop, whilst at first glance it's exciting (fairly - when your a young'un :) ) it stretched my staff, and then we had to wait for 60 days to be paid.
Compared to what some can do on here, it would have been small beer anyway.

Do think about your reasons for pursuing large commercial work.
Mine came from Shop fitters, department stores, even quoted British Rail at Waterloo .....didn't get that one.
Personally, we made more money doing less to the high street customer.

That is all near ancient history now, so things may be different - good luck.
prospero

Post by prospero »

This sort of job usually is put out to tender. Lowest quote gets it. So the profit margins are shaved to the bone. Even if you have the type of operation that could handle big orders you have to do your sums very carefully. One problem could wipe out your profit and you still have to fulfil the contract and wait who-knows-how-long to get paid.

A guy on the US 'Grumble' forum quoted for an order for 1600 large mirrors for a hotel in Dubai. I think his quote was about $800,000. Sounds good? Go into the logistics and it gets less and less attractive. If each mirror + packing was 4" deep and you stacked them next to each other you would have a row of mirrors 533ft long.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I had a call from somebody the other day. He asked me to quote to produce 1000 inlay frames and mount images in all of them, delivery in a months time. Too much for me I said. I didn't quote but I did call him and explain, he said thanks for taking the time to call him back said he might come back to me if he gets a smaller job. We shall see but I'm glad I didn't go for that one, just my luck I would have got it! :shock:
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

With the right set up Alan that would be possible in the time frame. I would be looking at making that order with in a month easily on my own as well. But large commercial jobs need planning, machinery and space more than anything else, something that most bespoke framers don't have, your mind set has to be different as well.

There is plenty of work in yhe commercial sector which is in fact more bespoke in nature, but it is usually all last minute and profit margins aren't as good as bespoke, but if you are set up for it hen it is still very profitable.
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

It's a space issue on the whole. A double garage just ain't enough sometimes.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Definitely that's why I need 3000sqft
GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Thanks.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

That was quite profound.
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

I see Kwik has taken to spamming his own thread under a pseudonym. Is this his latest attempt at seo? :giggle:
prospero

Post by prospero »

sukimarva wrote:The picture frame along with its mounts protects and often complements the artwork. Art work framed well will stay in good condition for a longer period of time.

Congratulations! That must be the most pointless statement ever posted on any internet Forum. :D

Sorry for the sarcastic tone, but it had to be said. :clap:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Probably SEO/google page ranking spam.
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Arguably illegal too as it smacks of astroturfing. (Creating artificial internet traffic that looks like grass-roots support.)
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Astroturfing that's a new one on me :giggle: :giggle:
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

GeoSpectrum

Post by GeoSpectrum »

If you google him it looks like there is a connection.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

We all know Kwik has previous with this aimlessly bring up old threads and making posts. I thought he had turned over a new leaf and was actually interested in engaging with the community. I am obviously wrong.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Copy Sukimarva's post in to Google you'll find the wiki it's from, which needs some serious updating/editing!
GeoSpectrum wrote:If you google him it looks like there is a connection.
A quick poke about here reveals one - Suki Marva is how "Mirrors4u" signs off - and in that profile the business name is "KPF Limited" - Google that - nada - but it happens to be an abbreviation of Kwik Picture Framing.

I'm sure admin/mods are aware anyway.

If you suspect anyone of being an astroturfer - put their username followed by "forums" in to google.

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I had not heard the term "astroturfing" being used in this connection before, so here is a quote from Wikipeadia, which explains it rather well.

Astroturfing is the practice of masking the sponsors of a message or organization (e.g., political, advertising, religious or public relations) to make it appear as though it originates from and is supported by grassroots participant(s). It is a practice intended to give the statements or organizations more credibility by withholding information about the source's financial connection. The term astroturfing is a derivation of AstroTurf, a brand of synthetic carpeting designed to look like natural grass, a play on the word "grassroots." The implication behind the use of the term is that there are no "true" or "natural" grassroots, but rather "fake" or "artificial" support.

It's rather a good term for describing this sort of practice wouldn't you say. I would say that it's not a very sensible thing to do, if you are not clever enough to cover your tracks. After all if the search engines are smart enough to figure out that someone is suspected of endulging in astroturfing to boost his search engine ratings, what will that do to those ratings when the search engines find out?

I hope that nobody else is stupid enough to be doing, or thinking of doing the same thing on this forum. I think that this contravenes our rule number one "Be nice", so please don't.

BTW, my thanks to those who have educated me and taught me this another internet term that I did not previously know.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Have a look at the Wikipedia definition of astroturfing. That anyone could even remotely think that the term might apply to Kwik’s posts defies credulity. What ludicrous nonsense.

To be clear: Nobody is astroturfing our forum.

Instead of attacking fellow members who do things a little differently I think its better that we should try to make them feel welcome and encourage them to participate so that we all can share what common ground we might have. This thread would indicate that some have lost sight of, or just don’t understand this concept.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)