How to mount 35 mm thick candles in a box frame

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
FifeFramer
Organisation: The Art Centre
Interests: Skiing, Football, Concerts, Motorsports

How to mount 35 mm thick candles in a box frame

Post by FifeFramer »

I have 3 fairly heavy candles that measure 35 mm in diameter that need to be held in place from the base in a box frame I'm making.
The customer would like these to be removable for possible future use!!!!!
I think there would need to be some sort of spike used to hold them but does anyone have any ideas on what to use and where any suggested items could be sourced please?

Many thanks in advance,

FifeFramer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: How to mount 35 mm thick candles in a box frame

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I think I might fashion something out of alloy strip and some screws, drilled to take screws (spikes) for the candles and a couple of further holds drilled for screws to attach it inside the frame.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Mylar strips I would suggest. I used them in some Elizabethen carved wood panels about 4" wide. Obviously because of what they were I couldn't use any mechanical attachment which would damage them. They worked well and supported the weight easily with minimal visual intrusion
silvercleave
Organisation: thought I was
Interests: Working to put food on table

Post by silvercleave »

I would mount them on a platform within the frame so they look as if they are standing on it

Ian
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I would mount them using mylar, but between the candles and the mountboard behind the I would attach some narrow strips of coarse abrasive paper to grip the candles. The overall framing package would be designed to ensure that the abrasive paper strips would not be visible.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

FifeFramer wrote:The customer would like these to be removable for possible future use!!!!!
In that case why mount them at all? The customer will have to re-mount them after use so may as well mount them initially. I'd just provide a frame that opens from the front with a shelf with some nice suitable candle holders fixed to it - there's plenty to choose from.