Large LE print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Large LE print

Post by YPF »

A good/regular customer has just left an LE print to frame in the same style as a couple of others I have done for him. The specification is:

Image size 1250mm x 872mm
Single mount 80mm wide borders in Daler D8869 (antique white 2.6mm thick)
AR UV glass (size 1410mm x 1032mm)
Lion L989 matt black frame (21mm across face and 30mm rebate depth)
Artwork attached with Hayaku hinging paper or archival mounting strips

My issues:

Daler jumbo board 1525mm x 1020mm is not big enough - not that they do a jumbo in antique white 2.6mm thick. Centrado Rising mountboard is available in a thick core
My machine is not able to cut an aperture that size even if I used Centrado's board

Given customer option to float mount but he wants it match the 2 I did in November 2014

I have told customer I probably cannot do this for him (cost was also a slight issue) - is there anybody out there capable of producing this frame and mount and would be happy for me to pass on your details? Customer says he is prepared to travel to get this done - but probably hasn't thought about getting the finished frame home.

If you want the know my quoted price please PM, email or ring me (details on web)

Many thanks,

Steve
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Roboframer

Re: Large LE print

Post by Roboframer »

I could do it but a. I'm probably too far away and b. I'd refuse to do it in a moulding that small and 2mm glass!
prospero

Re: Large LE print

Post by prospero »

For a mount that big I would use a painted wood moulding. R&H do one about 8mm thick with a bevel. Problem is it's only 70mm wide. Another problem is that you have to isolate the underside on the wood - not all that tricky. Also you have to stick a thin spacer along the outer edge of the 'mount' to keep the glass off it. Otherwise you get weird blotches. I would advise leaving the moulding in a warm, dry atmos for about a week in case it's a tad damp and might shrink and show a crack in the mitre. (see Tulipwood thread.)

I would echo Robo's comments about the frame. You'll need a subframe which means finding a moulding with a bit more depth - maybe 40mm.

With a sturdy subframe I would be quite happy with 2mm glass. AR glass is more like 2.5mm.

I would also reccommend using a cleat system fixed to the subframe for hanging rather than cord/wire.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About