Professional Picture Framers Association UK & Ireland

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Grahame Case

Professional Picture Framers Association UK & Ireland

Post by Grahame Case »

Dear Fellow Framers,

It gives me great pleasure to announce that I and a small but determined band of UK based picture framers are looking to launch a UK & Ireland Chapter of the Professional Picture Framers Association (PPFA) - run by framers for framers

About the PPFA | Professional Picture Framers Association
Serving the art and framing community worldwide since 1971, the Professional Picture Framers Association™ (PPFA®) encourages artisans to hone the time-honored skill of custom framing.

As the professional trade association for the custom framing industry, PPFA connects frame shops, art galleries, and suppliers to a network of knowledge and support. PPFA builds on its 40+-year history of establishing best practices for framing, and providing programs and services essential for entrepreneurial success. Through education, certification, business services, industry research, and events, PPFA leads its members to discover, understand, and act on new business opportunities.

What will I get out of joining the PPFA ?

The UK is a relatively new area for the PPFA to expand to, as a result all the major member benefits aren't available here, such as supplier discounts, training and certification (although this can be set up quite quickly after we reach a critical mass of membership)

Initially, you'll get yourself a listing in PPFA Directory and a Membership sticker to display proudly in your window. More importantly though, you'll get a say in shaping the future of the PPFA in the UK & Ireland.

The most important thing membership of the PPFA offers you is the ability to network and be part of a fellowship with fellow framers.

You can sign up today for just a smidgeon over £100.00 for a years membership at http://www.PPFAdirectory.com by selecting the "International Membership"

You can also contact me through the forum, or facebook at http://www.facebook.com/edinburghframer and by telephone on mon - Sat on 0131 343 6264 +441313436264 from Ireland

look forward to being part of the journey with you.

Onwards and Upwards
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Re: Professional Picture Framers Association UK & Ireland

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

I am not sure if I am opening a can of worms, but what is the difference between this and the Fine Art Trade Guild?
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Hi Whitewater Gallery,

No can of worms at all, - PPFA is a bit different from the fine art trade guild as it's largely framer organised, and built around the needs of the framer,.

It's been successfully running in other parts of the world for years. It's also much bigger than the FATG in the USA and Australia where it's key base is.

it also offers the chance to become a Certified Picture Framer / Master Certified Picture Framer - details in the attachment
Attachments
PPFA_TriFold.pdf
(367.96 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

I am in, I will sign up on Monday.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

IFGL , if you need any help or have any questions just give us a shout - we want to make a go of this - so we'll be approaching all new UK based members for their ideas going forward.

I personally want to explore the use of "modern technology" using remote meeting software to break down the geographical limitations in the early days,
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

Thanks Grahame, it sounds really good, I have been looking for something like this for a while, I was considering joining the PPFA already, with this happening I am eager to join.

If I can help in anyway I will.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Window decals look as follows :
Attachments
PPFA 2016 decal
PPFA 2016 decal
image.jpeg (72.71 KiB) Viewed 26290 times
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

Grahame Case wrote:It's been successfully running in other parts of the world for years. It's also much bigger than the FATG in the USA and Australia where it's key base is.
Grahame, you can also include Canada, :o
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Yes Keith the Canadian chapter is very well established - dunno why it slipped my mind !
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

As many are aware I am not a fan of the FATG or the GCF exam. I know it works for some people and can be beneficial for their business. However i feel that the FATG and GCF does not embrace the more commercial side of our industry and is run by bespoke framers for bespoke framers. I have my reservations that the PPFA will either.

Perhaps there just isn't a need for my business to join a professional trade body. However if my business was more high street or bespoke based then i certainly would look at joining the PPFA. :D
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

For the networking alone a trade body is worth its weight in gold -

Alistair - for example if you were a member you'd be able to market your high quality printing services to smaller PPFA members around your area - likewise if there was a job that came into you that you didn't quite feel was part of your every day offering you could refer it on to someone else or contact them for advice.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

We are in, where do I sign :clap:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Steve N wrote:We are in, where do I sign :clap:

Been told best place to sign up is at https://ppfadirectory.com/order_listing.php?level=50 as you can pay by PayPal
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Cheers Grahame
Just signed up and paid
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

This looks interesting, but at the minute all I'm seeing is £100 for a listing and a window sticker.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Peter,
I'm not going to lie to you - right now it is !
we need people to take the plunge early on, otherwise we'll not get established but rest assured We want to make a go of this -

I'm currently starting contacting all the framers locally to me in Edinburgh and Fife to try get a strong group together in central Scotland - there are others in the south contacting framers local to them.

We've been told we need about 20 dedicated people to make a go of a UK / Ireland chapter and that's what the post here was aiming to do.

Im going to be organising an "open house" at our place or a neutral venue for Scottish framers interested in becoming a member - so you will be more than welcome to come a long

It'll take time to grow but we will get there
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

£2 a week isn't bad at all.
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I would be up for taking a plunge but can't justify £100 as a part-time framer.
We have a local business association that costs £40 for a year and you get a listing on the website, brochure once a year, posters, monthly meetings, business map etc. so I can't see what the £100 will be going on.
I'll keep an eye on things but won't be joining just now.
IFGL

Post by IFGL »

All done
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Post by vintage frames »

Even accepting the small membership limitations, what exactly is the benefit to a framer in joining? Will a window sticker encourage more people to have items framed? Is being listed any different than a bit group enthusiasm - we have that already with this forum. And would supplier discounts be of any great consequence?
I get worried by any websites that show (Graham and his mount cutting) or others with (Tracy with a headset on).
You'll have to excuse my cynicism but I can't see where I could get a £100 worth of value in this.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/