Professional Picture Framers Association UK & Ireland

Something to announce to the world? Do it here.
Roboframer

Re: Professional Picture Framers Association UK & Ireland

Post by Roboframer »

Well said Mark!

Nice looking directory entries, I'll be in soon.

So, who's going to be the first UK/Ireland CPF then ... and then the first MCPF. (Or do we already have any even?)

Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Getting a bit carried away Robo, we'll need to concentrate on education first before the UK and Ireland chapter set any exam schedule - but when the time comes im sure it'll be a healthy race between you and several others including myself for CPF title bragging rights
Whitewater Gallery
Organisation: Whtewater Gallery
Interests: Surfing, sailing

Post by Whitewater Gallery »

Not your average framer wrote: Artsure and correct methods for stringing are worthwhile subjects which could easily be discussed in the general discussion section, but the purpose of the announcements section is a little different and the original subject does appear to have been replaced by other subjects.
:oops:

Its a small world - Eastern Frames and Inframe Gallery appear to have identical twins working front of house :D
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

That generic picture will be changed once I am back at work.
Whitewater Gallery

Sorry I did not mean for my poor humour detract from a nice clear website, and from those working hard to try and make a difference.

I think it is a shame that the FATG is not felt to be doing enough of the right thing to attract all picture framers to be active members (one strong trade body should be able to have more impact than 2 smaller ones in my opinion - but of course only if it does its job well). But if it is not felt to be doing things as well as it could then hats off for those who are making an effort to put something back into the industry.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm neither in favour of the PPFA, or the FATG. I shall be 65 next year and as a result, joining either of them is of little point to me. So I have no axe to grind in this discussion and I cannot see any harm in having two trade organisations, after all they are going to be somewhat different in both their outlook and objectives, as will be those who choose to join one, or the other.

Does a sticker on your door bring in any significant extra trade? Well, I think the answer to that depends upon your type of business and where you are located, but maybe a sticker on your door will help to differentiate your business from others in your locality. Personally I would be interested to know why those who have joined either organisation have done so and why those who have remained members over the years think that this works for them.

I think that it is legitimate for this thread to compare positive advantages of what is being offered by both organisations, I also recognise that there has been a long held basis for some people to the guild. However in recent years, the guild has had a change of CEO and a major change in direction and how it now works. Can I therefore ask that we try to keep discussions relevent to how things are now and not keep dragging things in the past that don't help the current discussion.

So far, this has the makings of an informative and interesting discussion.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Not your average framer wrote:I think that it is legitimate for this thread to compare positive advantages of what is being offered by both organisations
What does the thread starter think? He made no reference to the FAT G in the opening post.

Can't we just keep this thread about the PPFA and updates on progress.

I'm totally up for the above comparison discussion on both pros AND cons of the two organisations but they are different so it's pretty obvious there will be some - and more for some people than others. But a new thread, please??
Whitewater Gallery

Sorry that I have been part of the dilution of this thread, and as such I thought I should add that I agree with Robo - new threads for the discussion/comparison.

Not much of an excuse but I always come onto the website and click "view active posts" and pay no attention to the category. I will do in future as it does help give meaning to the post.
JohnMcafee
Organisation: Scenes
Interests: Picture Framing
Putting the world to rights

Post by JohnMcafee »

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

OMG This is precious! I never thought I'd laugh so hard.

Please wait a minute while I dry my eyes. :)

Sorry, Roboframer I can't bring myself to reply in the same humorous vein as yourself.

But in the entire history of the forum, and in the countless number of threads that have been taken off topic, ending up with a "discussion" about the FATG in spite of it having nothing to do with the original topic, I think this is the first time I've seen anyone showing the least concern about the way that the thread strayed from the subject.

You really should have included a couple of smileys, Roboframer to indicate that you were having a laugh. Poor Whitewater Gallery (and probably others) must think you were being serious. :)

I have no axe to grind one way or another I'm not a FATG member, nor will I be joining this American organisation, but let's see some fair play here, let's be even handed and show no favouritism in the way that these organisations are discussed on the forum.
"A little learning is a dangerous thing"

(Also known as John, the current forum administrator)
Ian Kenny Framing
Organisation: Ian Kenny Framing
Interests: Family

Post by Ian Kenny Framing »

My apologies too Grahame if my post seems to have knocked this thread off kilter, I was merely trying to answer in a bit of depth the question that was asked in the second post.
Not your average framer wrote:Personally I would be interested to know why those who have joined either organisation have done so and why those who have remained members over the years think that this works for them.
I'd be happy to from my point of view as a Fine Art Trade Guild member - here or on another thread - whenever it's decided which.
Roboframer wrote:You, just for example, with your 27 years guild membership, only registered here today.
Unfortunately Roboframer, that's completely wrong. I registered in 2006, shortly after you as it happens. However for the sake of clarity, I decided to register an account with a recognisable name rather than a pseudonym.
Ian Kenny GCF(APF) Adv.
Proud Fine Art Trade Guild member: http://www.fineart.co.uk
Encouraging and promoting the best in art and framing
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I have no problem at all with a "discussion about the FATG in spite of it having nothing to do with the original topic" and am more than happy to add more to my comments above ending with "that's all for now"

Just that this is announcements, that's all. We don't, for example, have much discussion in adverts sales and wants.

Maybe I should have linked this topic to a new thread in members only or something.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

Ian Kenny Framing wrote: I registered in 2006, shortly after you as it happens. However for the sake of clarity, I decided to register an account with a recognisable name rather than a pseudonym.
OIC, I wasn't to know that and at least I welcomed your new self to the forum.

Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Hi Graham

I'm interested in joining but would like to know more about the CPF and any other qualifications that might be on offer . I understand this won't be happening immediately, but how will one take this exam if based in the UK?
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Framerpicture wrote:but how will one take this exam if based in the UK?
There is precedent for framers to take the CPF online -

however, going forward the people throwing their weight in initially would like to establish a regular event a bit like the Framers forum live event that we so successfully held in 2010,2011,2012 for education, seminars and examinations
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

I suppose it depends on numbers,but any time scale for when this might start?
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

I'd quite like it to be within the next 12 months - I'm not sure how do-able that is but will know more in the next few weeks.
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

I joined today. £108 at today's exchange rates.
Framerpicture

Post by Framerpicture »

I also joined today :D
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Welcome aboard the two of you
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

As there has been overwhelming demand to find out more about the PPFA In the UK and Ireland we've set up a Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/PPFAUKIRE/