Discuss Picture Framing topics.

PLEASE USE THE HELP SECTION
WHEN SEEKING OR OFFERING HELP!
Ian Kenny Framing
Organisation: Ian Kenny Framing
Interests: Family

Trade waste disposal costs

Post by Ian Kenny Framing »

Just received my quarterly bill for Trade Waste, and it's one of those 'hidden costs' of running a business that not many people think about. £252 per quarter for a 660l wheeled bin to be emptied once a week. This is the bill for recyclable waste. General waste is a separate 660l bin emptied once a month, and with its own separate bill.
I think I am correct in saying that the rules for waste disposal are a bit tighter in Scotland than the rest of the UK, but just wondering about the cost. What do others pay for their waste disposal?
Ian Kenny GCF(APF) Adv.
Proud Fine Art Trade Guild member: http://www.fineart.co.uk
Encouraging and promoting the best in art and framing
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Trade waste disposal costs

Post by Tudor Rose »

We have 3 bins, 240 litre each - 2 are recycling (one for glass, one for cardboard) and 1 is for general waste and the prices have just been sorted for the year.

The general waste is the most expensive at £8.40 plus VAT per collection. The other 2 are £6.10 plus VAT per collection. We have fortnightly collections on glass and general waste and we've just upped it to weekly for cardboard. So with VAT we will be paying about £975 this year for our trade waste disposal.

Our rules and regulations are pretty tight too, not sure how they compare exactly with the situation up in Scotland. We have also had an inspection a few years ago by the Environment Agency doing spot checks on every business in the area to check they had trade waste disposal contracts in place. Quite a few were caught out and were fined.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Chair & Master May 2019 to May 2022
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

About £80 + VAT per month for a 1000l bin once a week, at one shop, we 'sell' all our mount board scraps as aart material to a lady who does stuff with them and I still have to take some card waste to our loacal asda (I know we shouldn't)
Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

We have two 1100 litre ones, one general, one recycling, both emptied every other week - not sure exactly how much but in my pricing software's hourly rate calculator it's down for £100 per month - with 50% calculated in to framing.
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

2 x 240l wheelies 1 collected weekly 1 collected fortnightly( Dry Mixed Recyclables & General waste)

£38.81 per month inc vat
markw

Post by markw »

27 + Vat a month for 240 ltr bin emptied every week for recycled waste - including glass. unrecyclable stuff we put out in sacks that I buy for £100 for a couple of rolls of them. Not sure how many on the roll. I try and re use large sheets of card (truevue boxes etc) for packaging. We recently changed companies as the last lot (Grundon) seemed to be getting more expensive month by month. New company (Smiths) were a lot cheaper and I notice almost all of my neighbours have started to use them.
Grundon used to send me letters telling me I should be sorting my waste - when asked to provide suitable bins they would always reply that they didn't do that sort of collection in this area. When Smiths were asked the same question they just said as long as it fell within the terms of recyclable they didn't mind. Glass wasn't on the list.... they still didn't mind.
IFGL
Organisation: Inframe Gallery Ltd
Interests: Films ,music and art, my wife and kids are pretty cool too.

Post by IFGL »

Float glass is not recyclable, except as rubble.
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

We have 2 1100l wheelie bins, one for general waste (including glass) and the other for plastic/paper recycling ,both are emptied weekly and as we have a new contractor in town we have just negotiated it down to £30 per week ( we were paying £45.00 a week) including vat for both to be emptied.
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

It's interesting about the float glass, we've never had a problem with them taking it in a dedicated glass recycling bin. It is certainly charged as recycling and not as general waste. We've used 2 different companies since we've been here and both of them were happy to take it, and they know it is float glass.

And like Robo, we do of course have it included in our pricing software so that it becomes part of our hourly rate charge.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Float glass is perfectly recyclable if collected separately. It just can't be recycled back into sheet glass and instead goes into aggregates.

I am amazed at people admitting to less than 100% compliance with waste regulations in a public forum where their business name is also published. The mods might like to assist them by making some deletions.
Ian Kenny Framing

Float glass is recyclable. http://jbrecycling.co.uk/waste/flatglass
The problem is it can't be mixed with regular 'bottle' glass. Our lot, Viridor, used to collect our float along with bottle glass, then told us we'd need to put it into general waste. They have told us that it is then sorted out at the depot.
Ian Kenny GCF(APF) Adv.
Tudor Rose

Post by Tudor Rose »

That makes total sense, thanks for the explanation. :D
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv

Roboframer

Post by Roboframer »

They'd have a job sorting ours, it's almost turned in to dust - excellent therapy!
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

My 1100 wheelie bin is about £28 + VAt per lift. My current provider not only are expensive but service is poor with them constantly changing collection days which quite often means they are emptying an empty bin and charging me for it. So I have found a new provider however£13.50 per lift. The only problem is that after 7 yrs apparently i am still locked into a rolling contract which means I still have 9 months left on it un be known to me. However the threat of a bad review on social media means I will get released in the next few months. :D
Grahame Case

Post by Grahame Case »

Ian - we are switching to viridor next month (prices I quoted earlier ) - due to new legislation they have changed their tarrif a little as you now have to pay for rental of the bins -

In Edinburgh the council are stopping collecting trade waste and stipulate your bins can only be out on street for 60 minute window for collection regardless of your trade waste vendor
Graysalchemy

Post by Graysalchemy »

Thats funny Grahame I am swapping and not having to pay rental.
Ian Kenny Framing

Hi Grahame - our council stopped collecting trade waste 8 or 9 years ago, and contracted it out to private firms. The first was Enviroscot, which was taken over a few years ago by Viridor. Even the local 'recycling centres' which used to be council run are now run privately too. They used to accept trade waste on a charge per load, but they don't do that anymore. We also have to pay for rental of our bins. Fortunately, we don't have the time restrictions on bins being out, but then Edinburgh was always 'posher' than us westerners! :D
Ian Kenny GCF(APF) Adv.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

660 litre bin at £11.60 per empty. That is with the local council - they are the cheapest and most efficient. Only issue is they don't do recycling but take absolutely everything so long as it is listed on my Duty of Care Waste Transfer Note.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Framerpicture
Organisation: Picture Framing
Interests: Mountain Biking, Walking,

Post by Framerpicture »

Jamesnkr wrote:
I am amazed at people admitting to less than 100% compliance with waste regulations in a public forum where their business name is also published. The mods might like to assist them by making some deletions.

We would happily recycle our float but our waste transfer agents aren't interested in collecting it separately, even though we produce nearly 1/4 tonne of waste glass a week . We have tried to get it recycled but in our neck of the woods, like many other things, you cant always get what you want :D
http://www.churchgategallery.co.uk/
Follow us on Twitter@PorlockArt
Kenneycm
Organisation: Elite Framing
Interests: Cars, framing

Post by Kenneycm »

I am obviously quite fortunate up in N.E. Fife. I have just paid my fee for cardboard collection for this year.. £192.48 for all paper and cardboard waste.. as long as it is flat packed (or rolled in the case of corrugated packing) the council pick up from the shop front every week... and even come in to remind me if I have forgotten to put it out in time... recycling and general waste I purchase sacks from Fife council at £2.12 & £2.04 respectively and also collected weekly.. I make other arrangements for my glass waste with a friendly glass merchant close by although the council will provide a wheelie bin for this if I had space to store it